Heavy breathing in dog.

Breed: Border collie x Labr
My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time, and has done for quite some time now. I am interested in finding out if this could be anything serious? She is not overweight and gets an adequate amount of exercise and is otherwise in good health. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Laura

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without examining Misty but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

It may be worthwhile to ask your vet about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is common in labs, but can happen in any breed. When this happens, the larynx doesn't open properly and it can be harder for an animal to breath. There is a surgery that can be done for laryngeal paralysis but it does come with risks and can be expensive.

A heart condition could cause this. Most dogs with a heart condition will have a heart murmur that can be heard by your vet.

Some dogs can get asthma as well. This is usually treated well with medication.

There are also some other lung conditions such as tumors, parasites (such as heartworm) or infections that could be causing this.

A vet visit is a really good idea!

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (4741 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (12890 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (11438 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6233 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (29710 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15270 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8535 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (72291 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (21502 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (23450 views)