Heavy breathing in dog.

Breed: Border collie x Labr
My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time, and has done for quite some time now. I am interested in finding out if this could be anything serious? She is not overweight and gets an adequate amount of exercise and is otherwise in good health. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Laura

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without examining Misty but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

It may be worthwhile to ask your vet about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is common in labs, but can happen in any breed. When this happens, the larynx doesn't open properly and it can be harder for an animal to breath. There is a surgery that can be done for laryngeal paralysis but it does come with risks and can be expensive.

A heart condition could cause this. Most dogs with a heart condition will have a heart murmur that can be heard by your vet.

Some dogs can get asthma as well. This is usually treated well with medication.

There are also some other lung conditions such as tumors, parasites (such as heartworm) or infections that could be causing this.

A vet visit is a really good idea!

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (10911 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14465 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (11647 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (9475 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18884 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (29761 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (14285 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (14691 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (71548 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (8534 views)