Heavy breathing in dog.

Breed: Border collie x Labr
My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time, and has done for quite some time now. I am interested in finding out if this could be anything serious? She is not overweight and gets an adequate amount of exercise and is otherwise in good health. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Laura

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without examining Misty but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

It may be worthwhile to ask your vet about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is common in labs, but can happen in any breed. When this happens, the larynx doesn't open properly and it can be harder for an animal to breath. There is a surgery that can be done for laryngeal paralysis but it does come with risks and can be expensive.

A heart condition could cause this. Most dogs with a heart condition will have a heart murmur that can be heard by your vet.

Some dogs can get asthma as well. This is usually treated well with medication.

There are also some other lung conditions such as tumors, parasites (such as heartworm) or infections that could be causing this.

A vet visit is a really good idea!

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10215 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (27319 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (166033 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (61293 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (68374 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (41097 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (22672 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (10153 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14144 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (26973 views)