Heavy breathing in dog.

Breed: Border collie x Labr
My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time, and has done for quite some time now. I am interested in finding out if this could be anything serious? She is not overweight and gets an adequate amount of exercise and is otherwise in good health. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Laura

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without examining Misty but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

It may be worthwhile to ask your vet about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is common in labs, but can happen in any breed. When this happens, the larynx doesn't open properly and it can be harder for an animal to breath. There is a surgery that can be done for laryngeal paralysis but it does come with risks and can be expensive.

A heart condition could cause this. Most dogs with a heart condition will have a heart murmur that can be heard by your vet.

Some dogs can get asthma as well. This is usually treated well with medication.

There are also some other lung conditions such as tumors, parasites (such as heartworm) or infections that could be causing this.

A vet visit is a really good idea!

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8330 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (40414 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (37806 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (9068 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (12824 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (6370 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13306 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (7868 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15898 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9465 views)