Heavy breathing in dog.

Breed: Border collie x Labr
My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time, and has done for quite some time now. I am interested in finding out if this could be anything serious? She is not overweight and gets an adequate amount of exercise and is otherwise in good health. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Laura

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without examining Misty but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

It may be worthwhile to ask your vet about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is common in labs, but can happen in any breed. When this happens, the larynx doesn't open properly and it can be harder for an animal to breath. There is a surgery that can be done for laryngeal paralysis but it does come with risks and can be expensive.

A heart condition could cause this. Most dogs with a heart condition will have a heart murmur that can be heard by your vet.

Some dogs can get asthma as well. This is usually treated well with medication.

There are also some other lung conditions such as tumors, parasites (such as heartworm) or infections that could be causing this.

A vet visit is a really good idea!

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (32038 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (17480 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (67101 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (14177 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (8821 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (10310 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (39586 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (7816 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (10693 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (62705 views)