Hamster is dying.

Breed: Syrian Hamster
My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much , But yesterday I noticed his stomach/abdomen area is really swollen . Also his eyes are closed and they look a little red around the edges . Normally he takes the food in his cheecks and empties it into the house . However he isnt letting the food out of his cheecks . He fell onto his back earlier and couldnt get back up again . Ive tried feeding him through a syringe but he isnt wanting to drink a lot of it . I understand he is old now , But was just wondering how I can make him more comfortable . Thank you

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm not sure that I've seen a hamster that was almost 3 years old. On average they usually live about 18 months.

What you are describing does not sound good for Sabastian. Unfortunately there is probably not much that can be done. I wouldn't try too hard with the syringe feeding. If he will accept it then that's good, but if he doesn't want it then forcing it will not accomplish much.

I think at this point you really have two options. I have found that once hamsters get to this point of illness they usually pass away quickly. So, one option is to just wait and let things happen naturally. (I don't usually recommend that with dogs and cats, but with hamsters, again, they seem to usually pass quite quickly and peacefully.)

The second option would be to have your vet put him to sleep. This is probably the better option so that we know that he is not uncomfortable any more.

I wish I could give you some more advice on what you can do to help but really there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry. I hope Sebastian's end is peaceful.

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (6908 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9270 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (13446 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (17593 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (10643 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (10259 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (8180 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12034 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (40108 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (20185 views)