Hamster is dying.

Breed: Syrian Hamster
My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much , But yesterday I noticed his stomach/abdomen area is really swollen . Also his eyes are closed and they look a little red around the edges . Normally he takes the food in his cheecks and empties it into the house . However he isnt letting the food out of his cheecks . He fell onto his back earlier and couldnt get back up again . Ive tried feeding him through a syringe but he isnt wanting to drink a lot of it . I understand he is old now , But was just wondering how I can make him more comfortable . Thank you

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm not sure that I've seen a hamster that was almost 3 years old. On average they usually live about 18 months.

What you are describing does not sound good for Sabastian. Unfortunately there is probably not much that can be done. I wouldn't try too hard with the syringe feeding. If he will accept it then that's good, but if he doesn't want it then forcing it will not accomplish much.

I think at this point you really have two options. I have found that once hamsters get to this point of illness they usually pass away quickly. So, one option is to just wait and let things happen naturally. (I don't usually recommend that with dogs and cats, but with hamsters, again, they seem to usually pass quite quickly and peacefully.)

The second option would be to have your vet put him to sleep. This is probably the better option so that we know that he is not uncomfortable any more.

I wish I could give you some more advice on what you can do to help but really there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry. I hope Sebastian's end is peaceful.

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13975 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (35247 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (8127 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12940 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (33800 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (10193 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (26492 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (38248 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (14530 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (10194 views)