Hamster is dying.

Breed: Syrian Hamster
My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much , But yesterday I noticed his stomach/abdomen area is really swollen . Also his eyes are closed and they look a little red around the edges . Normally he takes the food in his cheecks and empties it into the house . However he isnt letting the food out of his cheecks . He fell onto his back earlier and couldnt get back up again . Ive tried feeding him through a syringe but he isnt wanting to drink a lot of it . I understand he is old now , But was just wondering how I can make him more comfortable . Thank you

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm not sure that I've seen a hamster that was almost 3 years old. On average they usually live about 18 months.

What you are describing does not sound good for Sabastian. Unfortunately there is probably not much that can be done. I wouldn't try too hard with the syringe feeding. If he will accept it then that's good, but if he doesn't want it then forcing it will not accomplish much.

I think at this point you really have two options. I have found that once hamsters get to this point of illness they usually pass away quickly. So, one option is to just wait and let things happen naturally. (I don't usually recommend that with dogs and cats, but with hamsters, again, they seem to usually pass quite quickly and peacefully.)

The second option would be to have your vet put him to sleep. This is probably the better option so that we know that he is not uncomfortable any more.

I wish I could give you some more advice on what you can do to help but really there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry. I hope Sebastian's end is peaceful.

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5461 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (15923 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (20569 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (8014 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (11227 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (12105 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (8657 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (21007 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (39870 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (13035 views)