Chronic cat diarrhea.

Breed: DSH
I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January. Since the day after Christmas, he has been having very bad diarrhea off and on . I have taken him to my vet 3 times and the medications they were putting him on were making it worse, so they took him off everything, except his prednisone(for asthma), and it seemed to get better. However, it just started up again this week and he has been licking his butt a lot again, and this morning, he just went on the floor, which is what he was doing in December. The vet couldn't find any major problems to cause the diarrhea but they never did bloodwork. They only did 3 xrays and examined him. They also gave him worming medication and that didn't do anything but make it worse. I don't know what else to do. I just went back to work after being laid off for over a year. Could he have anxiety from me going back to work and maybe that is causing this? Do cats get anxiety that bad? If so, is there an anxiety medication for cats? I'm so exhausted and cannot go through this another time. ??? What could be causes of constant diarrhea for over 2 months? Before this, he used to strain to poop and never had diarrhea not even once in his life. I've tried the special diet food from the vet and none of the cats would eat it, even after I would leave it out for over a day. I have 4 other cats so changing just one's diet is really hard when they all eat in the same place?? Help

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that Bandit is having problems again.

Anxiety can cause diarrhea in cats, but it doesn't usually cause long term diarrhea problems.

Unfortunately, at this point, getting a diagnosis is going to be hard. You have had a number of tests done with no obvious answers and this makes things difficult. You mentioned that the vet has not done bloodwork but really, there are not a lot of things that would show up on routine bloodwork that cause chronic diarrhea.

Inflammatory bowel disease is still a possibility. However, most cats with IBD get better with prednisone. You may want to ask them if increasing the prednisone dose is a possibility.

I have had some cats with chronic diarrhea that have responded to a medication called tylosin. This is a type of antibiotic that can help with bacterial causes of diarrhea such as clostridial diarrhea. The problem with tylosin though is that it can be hard to get it into a cat.

There are other tests that can be done but they can be pricy. An intestinal biopsy would tell us a lot. It would tell us if IBD is present or if there is something more serious such as intestinal lymphoma.

I will often run a test called a diarrhea panel. This test is a pile of DNA tests that look for unusual causes of diarrhea such as tritrichomonas, clostridium and other causes. It's controversial though as some of these tests are not completely accurate. I have occasionally had cases though where the answer to a chronic diarrhea problem is found on one of these tests.

I wish I could give you more answers. It's a tough thing to deal with. :(

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (24399 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12792 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6428 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4738 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11261 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (262222 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11829 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (10111 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7149 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (24576 views)