Chronic cat diarrhea.

Breed: DSH
I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January. Since the day after Christmas, he has been having very bad diarrhea off and on . I have taken him to my vet 3 times and the medications they were putting him on were making it worse, so they took him off everything, except his prednisone(for asthma), and it seemed to get better. However, it just started up again this week and he has been licking his butt a lot again, and this morning, he just went on the floor, which is what he was doing in December. The vet couldn't find any major problems to cause the diarrhea but they never did bloodwork. They only did 3 xrays and examined him. They also gave him worming medication and that didn't do anything but make it worse. I don't know what else to do. I just went back to work after being laid off for over a year. Could he have anxiety from me going back to work and maybe that is causing this? Do cats get anxiety that bad? If so, is there an anxiety medication for cats? I'm so exhausted and cannot go through this another time. ??? What could be causes of constant diarrhea for over 2 months? Before this, he used to strain to poop and never had diarrhea not even once in his life. I've tried the special diet food from the vet and none of the cats would eat it, even after I would leave it out for over a day. I have 4 other cats so changing just one's diet is really hard when they all eat in the same place?? Help

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that Bandit is having problems again.

Anxiety can cause diarrhea in cats, but it doesn't usually cause long term diarrhea problems.

Unfortunately, at this point, getting a diagnosis is going to be hard. You have had a number of tests done with no obvious answers and this makes things difficult. You mentioned that the vet has not done bloodwork but really, there are not a lot of things that would show up on routine bloodwork that cause chronic diarrhea.

Inflammatory bowel disease is still a possibility. However, most cats with IBD get better with prednisone. You may want to ask them if increasing the prednisone dose is a possibility.

I have had some cats with chronic diarrhea that have responded to a medication called tylosin. This is a type of antibiotic that can help with bacterial causes of diarrhea such as clostridial diarrhea. The problem with tylosin though is that it can be hard to get it into a cat.

There are other tests that can be done but they can be pricy. An intestinal biopsy would tell us a lot. It would tell us if IBD is present or if there is something more serious such as intestinal lymphoma.

I will often run a test called a diarrhea panel. This test is a pile of DNA tests that look for unusual causes of diarrhea such as tritrichomonas, clostridium and other causes. It's controversial though as some of these tests are not completely accurate. I have occasionally had cases though where the answer to a chronic diarrhea problem is found on one of these tests.

I wish I could give you more answers. It's a tough thing to deal with. :(

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (10120 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (13108 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (11209 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (13303 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (9346 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5882 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (36276 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (12974 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (8733 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (96539 views)