Chronic cat diarrhea.

Breed: DSH
I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January. Since the day after Christmas, he has been having very bad diarrhea off and on . I have taken him to my vet 3 times and the medications they were putting him on were making it worse, so they took him off everything, except his prednisone(for asthma), and it seemed to get better. However, it just started up again this week and he has been licking his butt a lot again, and this morning, he just went on the floor, which is what he was doing in December. The vet couldn't find any major problems to cause the diarrhea but they never did bloodwork. They only did 3 xrays and examined him. They also gave him worming medication and that didn't do anything but make it worse. I don't know what else to do. I just went back to work after being laid off for over a year. Could he have anxiety from me going back to work and maybe that is causing this? Do cats get anxiety that bad? If so, is there an anxiety medication for cats? I'm so exhausted and cannot go through this another time. ??? What could be causes of constant diarrhea for over 2 months? Before this, he used to strain to poop and never had diarrhea not even once in his life. I've tried the special diet food from the vet and none of the cats would eat it, even after I would leave it out for over a day. I have 4 other cats so changing just one's diet is really hard when they all eat in the same place?? Help

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that Bandit is having problems again.

Anxiety can cause diarrhea in cats, but it doesn't usually cause long term diarrhea problems.

Unfortunately, at this point, getting a diagnosis is going to be hard. You have had a number of tests done with no obvious answers and this makes things difficult. You mentioned that the vet has not done bloodwork but really, there are not a lot of things that would show up on routine bloodwork that cause chronic diarrhea.

Inflammatory bowel disease is still a possibility. However, most cats with IBD get better with prednisone. You may want to ask them if increasing the prednisone dose is a possibility.

I have had some cats with chronic diarrhea that have responded to a medication called tylosin. This is a type of antibiotic that can help with bacterial causes of diarrhea such as clostridial diarrhea. The problem with tylosin though is that it can be hard to get it into a cat.

There are other tests that can be done but they can be pricy. An intestinal biopsy would tell us a lot. It would tell us if IBD is present or if there is something more serious such as intestinal lymphoma.

I will often run a test called a diarrhea panel. This test is a pile of DNA tests that look for unusual causes of diarrhea such as tritrichomonas, clostridium and other causes. It's controversial though as some of these tests are not completely accurate. I have occasionally had cases though where the answer to a chronic diarrhea problem is found on one of these tests.

I wish I could give you more answers. It's a tough thing to deal with. :(

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (23407 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (6496 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (76190 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (8755 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (10063 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (20167 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (15327 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (17211 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (14759 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (7730 views)