Lump under eye.

Breed: lab
Hello Marie
My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left eye, near her upper jaw. The lump is about the size of a almond or maybe a small walnut. It is hard and does not seem to bother her when i touch it. It is very stable and does not move around. Any advice would be appretiated.

It's always hard to diagnose lumps online but I can give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

The most common reason for a dog to get a lump in this area is a tooth root infection. The tooth that is usually the culprit is the largest tooth you can see on the top of her mouth. Sometimes you can see that the tooth is sore or that the gums are really red, but sometimes there is no obvious sign of infection. Usually a vet can tell though. If the tooth is infected it will need to come out.

We do see tumors that can affect the bone of the face but this is less likely.

It probably is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (9325 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (25971 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (12068 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (29150 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19920 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (31368 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (15122 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (10077 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7459 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (10083 views)