Kitten nursing on my neck.

Breed: no breed
why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not leave me alone and keeps trying to get at my neck. I hope you have an answer for me or I will have to wear cloves of garlic around my neck!!!!!!!! thank you! I will be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Hopefully you will not have to wear cloves of garlic! LOL!

I have seen some cats who do this. Some people believe that it is because they have been taken away from their mom too soon, but no one has been able to prove this.

There are a few routes you can take. Many experts suggest trying to redirect the kitten to something more appropriate, so when he is trying to suckle on you, give him a toy to play with.

However, I don't find this works well.

The other route is to try a negative stimulus. This would mean that when he sucks on your neck to have someone spray him with water (but then you are going to get sprayed as well!), or have someone fire off a can of compressed air. (You can buy these at the pet store).

You can also try applying Bitter Apple to your neck a couple of times per day. Not your usual perfume I am sure though!

I hope this helps!

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (18417 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (14503 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (12169 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (10238 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (10590 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7757 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (14959 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (11591 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (38252 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (15462 views)