Kitten nursing on my neck.

Breed: no breed
why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not leave me alone and keeps trying to get at my neck. I hope you have an answer for me or I will have to wear cloves of garlic around my neck!!!!!!!! thank you! I will be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Hopefully you will not have to wear cloves of garlic! LOL!

I have seen some cats who do this. Some people believe that it is because they have been taken away from their mom too soon, but no one has been able to prove this.

There are a few routes you can take. Many experts suggest trying to redirect the kitten to something more appropriate, so when he is trying to suckle on you, give him a toy to play with.

However, I don't find this works well.

The other route is to try a negative stimulus. This would mean that when he sucks on your neck to have someone spray him with water (but then you are going to get sprayed as well!), or have someone fire off a can of compressed air. (You can buy these at the pet store).

You can also try applying Bitter Apple to your neck a couple of times per day. Not your usual perfume I am sure though!

I hope this helps!

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9572 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (23504 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (24681 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (18660 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15387 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33607 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (14247 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7510 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (68926 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11425 views)