Kitten nursing on my neck.

Breed: no breed
why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not leave me alone and keeps trying to get at my neck. I hope you have an answer for me or I will have to wear cloves of garlic around my neck!!!!!!!! thank you! I will be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Hopefully you will not have to wear cloves of garlic! LOL!

I have seen some cats who do this. Some people believe that it is because they have been taken away from their mom too soon, but no one has been able to prove this.

There are a few routes you can take. Many experts suggest trying to redirect the kitten to something more appropriate, so when he is trying to suckle on you, give him a toy to play with.

However, I don't find this works well.

The other route is to try a negative stimulus. This would mean that when he sucks on your neck to have someone spray him with water (but then you are going to get sprayed as well!), or have someone fire off a can of compressed air. (You can buy these at the pet store).

You can also try applying Bitter Apple to your neck a couple of times per day. Not your usual perfume I am sure though!

I hope this helps!

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (13963 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (20940 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (9337 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (41088 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (20209 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (13036 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (8402 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9792 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (9695 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (31702 views)