Kitten nursing on my neck.

Breed: no breed
why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not leave me alone and keeps trying to get at my neck. I hope you have an answer for me or I will have to wear cloves of garlic around my neck!!!!!!!! thank you! I will be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Hopefully you will not have to wear cloves of garlic! LOL!

I have seen some cats who do this. Some people believe that it is because they have been taken away from their mom too soon, but no one has been able to prove this.

There are a few routes you can take. Many experts suggest trying to redirect the kitten to something more appropriate, so when he is trying to suckle on you, give him a toy to play with.

However, I don't find this works well.

The other route is to try a negative stimulus. This would mean that when he sucks on your neck to have someone spray him with water (but then you are going to get sprayed as well!), or have someone fire off a can of compressed air. (You can buy these at the pet store).

You can also try applying Bitter Apple to your neck a couple of times per day. Not your usual perfume I am sure though!

I hope this helps!

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (10835 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (12032 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (78959 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (7718 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (12859 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6732 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (10578 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (6649 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (12050 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (12593 views)