Kitten nursing on my neck.

Breed: no breed
why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not leave me alone and keeps trying to get at my neck. I hope you have an answer for me or I will have to wear cloves of garlic around my neck!!!!!!!! thank you! I will be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Hopefully you will not have to wear cloves of garlic! LOL!

I have seen some cats who do this. Some people believe that it is because they have been taken away from their mom too soon, but no one has been able to prove this.

There are a few routes you can take. Many experts suggest trying to redirect the kitten to something more appropriate, so when he is trying to suckle on you, give him a toy to play with.

However, I don't find this works well.

The other route is to try a negative stimulus. This would mean that when he sucks on your neck to have someone spray him with water (but then you are going to get sprayed as well!), or have someone fire off a can of compressed air. (You can buy these at the pet store).

You can also try applying Bitter Apple to your neck a couple of times per day. Not your usual perfume I am sure though!

I hope this helps!

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (12076 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25874 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5732 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (108144 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (13537 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7630 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (45355 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (16907 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16898 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11514 views)