Kitten nursing on my neck.

Breed: no breed
why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not leave me alone and keeps trying to get at my neck. I hope you have an answer for me or I will have to wear cloves of garlic around my neck!!!!!!!! thank you! I will be waiting for your answer.

Thanks for an interesting question.

Hopefully you will not have to wear cloves of garlic! LOL!

I have seen some cats who do this. Some people believe that it is because they have been taken away from their mom too soon, but no one has been able to prove this.

There are a few routes you can take. Many experts suggest trying to redirect the kitten to something more appropriate, so when he is trying to suckle on you, give him a toy to play with.

However, I don't find this works well.

The other route is to try a negative stimulus. This would mean that when he sucks on your neck to have someone spray him with water (but then you are going to get sprayed as well!), or have someone fire off a can of compressed air. (You can buy these at the pet store).

You can also try applying Bitter Apple to your neck a couple of times per day. Not your usual perfume I am sure though!

I hope this helps!

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5718 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16561 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15328 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (20999 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (51643 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (4565 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (51532 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8615 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7387 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (12744 views)