Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate mouldy treats.

Species: Dog
Breed: lab
Age: 5-8 years
My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them. Will they get sick I dont have money to go to vet...I am looking online and many batches of milkbones over last year have had this issue and a product pull by manufacture was done on one batch...I am so stupid for not examining closer before I gave my labs thier morning and Pm snack.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

A while back I wrote about a problem that milk bone had where they recalled some batches because the treats did not dry properly. (Milkbone recall. I speculated that one of the possible outcomes of this was that the milkbones could become mouldy.

In most cases, when a dog eats a mouldy treat they will get a little bit of stomach upset. Sometimes, however, mould can produce something called mycotoxins which can be much more serious and cause serious sickness and neurological problems like seizures.

At this point, we'll have to see how your dogs do. If they seem really unwell then yes I would recommend a vet visit. But, I am guessing that they will be just fine.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (8701 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (14423 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (26510 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (21389 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (17016 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (17963 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (7958 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (6733 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (11995 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (27319 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.