Dog seizured while boarding.

Breed: Australian Shepherd
Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a extremely healthly, active 14 year old. I was told that he had a seizure the first night he was boarded. I have never witnessed him have a seirzure prior or after being boarded with them. They administered anti-seizure medication the 8 days he was boarded. When I picked him up he was lethargic and lost a lot of weight. They gave him a battery of tests and everything was normal, except for he "might" have a thyroid problem. I did not continue the anti-seizure medication as I was not convinced anything was wrong with him, he was fine when I brought him in. He gradually came out of his "drunkenness" but about a month ago, I notice he began to trip over his feet. He is still full of energy and eats normally. And I still have not seen him have a seizure, ever. What do you think is happening?

Hi Gina...thanks very much for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Niko is not doing well.

I do tend to get worried when I see seizures in an older dog who has never had seizures before. While we do occasionally see dogs who get epilepsy, if seizures come on this late in life it usually means either some type of metabolic disease (I'll explain in a minute) or an issue with the brain such as a tumor.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have his first seizure when under some stress such as being at the clinic. It is not that the boarding caused the seizure, but it may have been the final straw to put him over the edge to cause him to seizure.

The "drunkenness" could be due to the medicines. He was likely given some valium for shert term seizure control or phenobarbitol, both of which can cause some sedation and stupor.

It is also possible that there was some type of metabolic condition such as a liver problem or a kidney problem. These can cause seizures. However, they should have turned up on the bloodwork. If this was my case I would likely be repeating bloodwork again as sometimes early in the disease there may not be elevations.

However, I am more concerned that there may be a neurological issue such as a brain tumor. The "tripping over his feet" can be a sign of "ataxia" which tells us that there is an issue with the brain or spinal cord.

There are other conditions that can affect the brain that are treatable such as infections or parasites but they are very uncommon in an older animal.

Unfortunately it is going to be hard to know how to proceed from here. Ideally the best thing would be to do an MRI but this is quite expensive (>$1000). Your vet may be able to do another exam to see if there really are neurological issues present now.

I wish I could give you better news. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Thank you for your guidance.

So, something like lyme disease is an unlikely culprit for his ataxia?

From what you have described, Lyme is quite unlikely. Lyme disease usually causes vague signs of joint pain, but what you are describing sounds neurological. Lyme disease does not generally cause neurological issues.

There are some parasites that can cause neurological issues such as neospora or toxoplasmosis. These are very uncommon. They can both be detected by bloodwork. You can ask your vet if these could be a possibility. However, the chances are extremely small!

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (6504 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (28906 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (12373 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (5593 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (9170 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (8128 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (14167 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (12165 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (5472 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (88922 views)