Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12743 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11699 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13469 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (13222 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6578 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (23672 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (22865 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (11643 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5682 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5483 views)