Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10932 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33946 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8028 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (115460 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20009 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14551 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (18829 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (8826 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8183 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15049 views)