Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (10360 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5944 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (9613 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (9488 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (14703 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (13960 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (16121 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (9310 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14798 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6373 views)