Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15093 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (8067 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (7859 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (18644 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (29896 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8116 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17414 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9094 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7632 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (23644 views)