Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (22719 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (9563 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (14858 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (21282 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (16512 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (17892 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13837 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (7203 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (26552 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (9472 views)