Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (14944 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (14832 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (30975 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (48121 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8595 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (4708 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (15783 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (8625 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (7883 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (4781 views)