Is vet just trying to make money?

Breed: Domestic short hair
I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I feel like they are seeing dollar signs instead of my pets health. All of a sudden they want the new 1 year (more expensive) rabies short rather than the 3 year one I have been getting for years. Also they constantly want to do lab test because of their ages and then there is the dental work. How do I know what is necessary and what is not? Their health is important to me but I do not want to put them through unnecessary discomfort and stress.

From what you've described it sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I do.

There are two types of rabies vaccines that we can give to cats. One can be effective for 3 years and the other, Purevax rabies is only a one year vaccine. However, the Purevax is safer. It is much less likely to cause a lump at the injection site. This greatly cuts down on side effects. One of the possible side effects of the three year vaccine is a cancer called fibrosarcoma. It is rare, but it does happen.

Personally, I recommend lab tests for any animal older than 7. There are so many diseases that cats can get as they get older and they may not show symptoms right away. If we can catch these sooner rather than later then often we have better success in treating the disease.

I know that dental procedures are expensive. They are almost always necessary though. Imagine if we went a few years without brushing our teeth? They would be a mess! Most cats have lesions on their teeth or gums that are painful. But, they can't show us the pain. So yes, I do recommend a dentistry for most animals.

With all that being said, I am also conscious that many of my clients are on a tight budget. So, I will tell them what I recommend but I understand if they can't afford all of the options.

It is our job as vets to offer you the best for your pets.

It doesn't sound like your vet is just trying to make money from you.

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (25258 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (9265 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (10820 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (7919 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (13971 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (8880 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (15200 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (72859 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (16564 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (28648 views)