Black lump under cat's eye.

Breed: N/A
Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below Fei Meow's left eye. I left it to observe. And now it became a tiny little black dot, little swollen (not completely flat).

Fei Meow seems not aware of this dot as it didn't seem to be itchy or pain. (He does clean his faces (both side) with hands).

Would you suggest to do the surgery to remove it? Would there be other ways instead of using surgery knife to cut it off?

I will send its picture to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thank you in advance.

Doris

Hi Doris. Thanks for sending a picture. (Your cat is very handsome. :) ) I've included the photo here:

lump under cat's eye

This is a tough thing to make a judgement call on over the internet, but I'll give you my thoughts on what I can see.

My first thought is that it is not likely to be anything to worry about. It could possibly be a wart or a cyst and if that is the case then it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.

If this gets larger or ulcerates or is bothersome to Fei Meow, then it is worthwhile to have a vet take a look at it. They may do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and draw some cells out and then look at the cells under a microscope to determine if this is something serious. At this point though, with the size of the lump it may be difficult to do as it is so small.

If your vet does decide on surgery there are a couple of options. Most likely a general anesthetic would be best. The lump is small enough to use a local anesthetic, but it would be very difficult to keep a cat still and remove something that close to the eye with just a local. It is also possible that a cryotherapy treatment could be done if your vet has access to that. That is similar to burning a wart off with a liquid nitrogen type of material.

I hope that helps!

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (18148 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (24820 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (27891 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (19077 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (12376 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (27194 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (10847 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (17770 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (41652 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (21394 views)