Black lump under cat's eye.

Breed: N/A
Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below Fei Meow's left eye. I left it to observe. And now it became a tiny little black dot, little swollen (not completely flat).

Fei Meow seems not aware of this dot as it didn't seem to be itchy or pain. (He does clean his faces (both side) with hands).

Would you suggest to do the surgery to remove it? Would there be other ways instead of using surgery knife to cut it off?

I will send its picture to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thank you in advance.

Doris

Hi Doris. Thanks for sending a picture. (Your cat is very handsome. :) ) I've included the photo here:

lump under cat's eye

This is a tough thing to make a judgement call on over the internet, but I'll give you my thoughts on what I can see.

My first thought is that it is not likely to be anything to worry about. It could possibly be a wart or a cyst and if that is the case then it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.

If this gets larger or ulcerates or is bothersome to Fei Meow, then it is worthwhile to have a vet take a look at it. They may do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and draw some cells out and then look at the cells under a microscope to determine if this is something serious. At this point though, with the size of the lump it may be difficult to do as it is so small.

If your vet does decide on surgery there are a couple of options. Most likely a general anesthetic would be best. The lump is small enough to use a local anesthetic, but it would be very difficult to keep a cat still and remove something that close to the eye with just a local. It is also possible that a cryotherapy treatment could be done if your vet has access to that. That is similar to burning a wart off with a liquid nitrogen type of material.

I hope that helps!

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (12992 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (8946 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (19084 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (12165 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (20288 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (13961 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (9848 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (30229 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (10642 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (9037 views)