Black lump under cat's eye.

Breed: N/A
Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below Fei Meow's left eye. I left it to observe. And now it became a tiny little black dot, little swollen (not completely flat).

Fei Meow seems not aware of this dot as it didn't seem to be itchy or pain. (He does clean his faces (both side) with hands).

Would you suggest to do the surgery to remove it? Would there be other ways instead of using surgery knife to cut it off?

I will send its picture to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thank you in advance.

Doris

Hi Doris. Thanks for sending a picture. (Your cat is very handsome. :) ) I've included the photo here:

lump under cat's eye

This is a tough thing to make a judgement call on over the internet, but I'll give you my thoughts on what I can see.

My first thought is that it is not likely to be anything to worry about. It could possibly be a wart or a cyst and if that is the case then it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.

If this gets larger or ulcerates or is bothersome to Fei Meow, then it is worthwhile to have a vet take a look at it. They may do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and draw some cells out and then look at the cells under a microscope to determine if this is something serious. At this point though, with the size of the lump it may be difficult to do as it is so small.

If your vet does decide on surgery there are a couple of options. Most likely a general anesthetic would be best. The lump is small enough to use a local anesthetic, but it would be very difficult to keep a cat still and remove something that close to the eye with just a local. It is also possible that a cryotherapy treatment could be done if your vet has access to that. That is similar to burning a wart off with a liquid nitrogen type of material.

I hope that helps!

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (14560 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (12346 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (11990 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (15047 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (15126 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (10326 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (82941 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (25478 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (22015 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (48303 views)