Black lump under cat's eye.

Breed: N/A
Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below Fei Meow's left eye. I left it to observe. And now it became a tiny little black dot, little swollen (not completely flat).

Fei Meow seems not aware of this dot as it didn't seem to be itchy or pain. (He does clean his faces (both side) with hands).

Would you suggest to do the surgery to remove it? Would there be other ways instead of using surgery knife to cut it off?

I will send its picture to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thank you in advance.

Doris

Hi Doris. Thanks for sending a picture. (Your cat is very handsome. :) ) I've included the photo here:

lump under cat's eye

This is a tough thing to make a judgement call on over the internet, but I'll give you my thoughts on what I can see.

My first thought is that it is not likely to be anything to worry about. It could possibly be a wart or a cyst and if that is the case then it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything else.

If this gets larger or ulcerates or is bothersome to Fei Meow, then it is worthwhile to have a vet take a look at it. They may do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a small needle in and draw some cells out and then look at the cells under a microscope to determine if this is something serious. At this point though, with the size of the lump it may be difficult to do as it is so small.

If your vet does decide on surgery there are a couple of options. Most likely a general anesthetic would be best. The lump is small enough to use a local anesthetic, but it would be very difficult to keep a cat still and remove something that close to the eye with just a local. It is also possible that a cryotherapy treatment could be done if your vet has access to that. That is similar to burning a wart off with a liquid nitrogen type of material.

I hope that helps!

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12563 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (5916 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6441 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11520 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (9637 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10450 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11253 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6097 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (6557 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (23723 views)