Sneezing and runny eyes.

Breed: Beagle
My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory problems until around then, and has been to the vet multiple times since. She is always sneezy with watery eyes and a runny nose and very occasionally coughs up mucus. She also has a problem with "reverse sneezing".

We've tried giving her small doses of benadryl and some human allergy medication, but nothing provides long term relief for her. The vet can't figure out what is wrong and just thinks it's allergies, but I've read more and more that dogs don't respond to allergies in this way.

Aside from this though, her appetite is fine, her breathing is fine, she has no fevers and is as active as a 9 year old beagle probably would be.

It's just hard to see her like this and not know how to help, and sometimes it's not very pleasant to be around her because she's always sneezing.

The problem has been consistent for probably a year and a half now and is just starting to get frustrating for us as well as her. Is there something else wrong with her that we should maybe have our vet look into?

Cases like this are frustrating! It's often difficult to know why a dog is sneezing repeatedly and it's not a common problem.

You are right that allergies don't usually manifest this way. Most dogs with allergies will have skin problems - itchy feet, ears and bum. With that being said I have seen a few dogs that did have inhaled allergies. And, beagles are really well known for having allergy issues.

I find that Benadryl and other antihistamines don't work that well for dog allergies. You may want to talk to your vet about doing a trial dose of some steroids. I have most of my allergic patients on very small doses of prednisone. In small doses, dogs handle prednisone well and it is safe. You'll know within a few days of starting it whether it is helping.

Another thing to ask your vet about is nasal mites. They are not that common, but can be a cause of chronic sneezing and reverse sneeze issues. Most heartworm/flea combination medicines will treat nasal mites so if your dog is on something like Revolution or Advantage Multi for heartworm then nasal mites are not likely.

Does Clover have any dental issues? A tooth root infection could definitely be the cause. Sometimes it can be hard to see. If she has any hint of dental problems then it is possible that a good dental cleaning with extraction of any possibly infected teeth could help.

It's also possible that there is either a foreign object or even a nasal tumor in the nose. Unfortunately these can be hard to diagnose. Ultimately it would be wonderful to have a specialist do a scope of Clover's nose. This is where they administer an anesthetic and then put a tiny camera up the nose to look and see if there is any sort of a foreign object or tumor. This would be very helpful, but could be quite expensive.

I think it's a good idea to ask your vet about a trial of steroids first and then see what they think about a dental issue possibly being the cause.

I hope that helps and I hope things improve soon!

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (81484 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (71060 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (7276 views)

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (8129 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12350 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (17912 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8596 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (22449 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8994 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (13604 views)