Sneezing and runny eyes.

Breed: Beagle
My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory problems until around then, and has been to the vet multiple times since. She is always sneezy with watery eyes and a runny nose and very occasionally coughs up mucus. She also has a problem with "reverse sneezing".

We've tried giving her small doses of benadryl and some human allergy medication, but nothing provides long term relief for her. The vet can't figure out what is wrong and just thinks it's allergies, but I've read more and more that dogs don't respond to allergies in this way.

Aside from this though, her appetite is fine, her breathing is fine, she has no fevers and is as active as a 9 year old beagle probably would be.

It's just hard to see her like this and not know how to help, and sometimes it's not very pleasant to be around her because she's always sneezing.

The problem has been consistent for probably a year and a half now and is just starting to get frustrating for us as well as her. Is there something else wrong with her that we should maybe have our vet look into?

Cases like this are frustrating! It's often difficult to know why a dog is sneezing repeatedly and it's not a common problem.

You are right that allergies don't usually manifest this way. Most dogs with allergies will have skin problems - itchy feet, ears and bum. With that being said I have seen a few dogs that did have inhaled allergies. And, beagles are really well known for having allergy issues.

I find that Benadryl and other antihistamines don't work that well for dog allergies. You may want to talk to your vet about doing a trial dose of some steroids. I have most of my allergic patients on very small doses of prednisone. In small doses, dogs handle prednisone well and it is safe. You'll know within a few days of starting it whether it is helping.

Another thing to ask your vet about is nasal mites. They are not that common, but can be a cause of chronic sneezing and reverse sneeze issues. Most heartworm/flea combination medicines will treat nasal mites so if your dog is on something like Revolution or Advantage Multi for heartworm then nasal mites are not likely.

Does Clover have any dental issues? A tooth root infection could definitely be the cause. Sometimes it can be hard to see. If she has any hint of dental problems then it is possible that a good dental cleaning with extraction of any possibly infected teeth could help.

It's also possible that there is either a foreign object or even a nasal tumor in the nose. Unfortunately these can be hard to diagnose. Ultimately it would be wonderful to have a specialist do a scope of Clover's nose. This is where they administer an anesthetic and then put a tiny camera up the nose to look and see if there is any sort of a foreign object or tumor. This would be very helpful, but could be quite expensive.

I think it's a good idea to ask your vet about a trial of steroids first and then see what they think about a dental issue possibly being the cause.

I hope that helps and I hope things improve soon!

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7075 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9564 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6415 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (46516 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25031 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6581 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26763 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (36374 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18672 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7640 views)