Lump on hedgehog

Breed: hedgehog
I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I do not clean it daily he gets a dischage from behind the ear that smells like a fungal infection. His quills do not lye down most other hedgehogs I have seen. I have had him on penicillin but it does not seem to be helping. what else can i try

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that little Sonic is having problems. This may be a tough question for me to answer without actually seeing the lump, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

First of all, any time I hear about a hedgehog with a lump I get concerned. Hedgehogs are very prone to cancers. It is possible that this is a cancerous tumor. Sometimes these tumors can produce a very smelly discharge. We can sometimes slow the progression of disease with appropriate antibiotics, but if this is cancer then the antibiotics will not cure the problem.

It is also possible that it is a skin wound that needs a particular type of antibiotic in order to heal. Penicillin is not always the best choice for wounds.

I would definitely advise a vet visit for Sonic. However, deciding what to do may be difficult. Ideally, if cost were not a concern it would be great to have your vet culture the wound (to find out what type of bacteria is growing in it) and also do a fine needle aspirate to determine if the lump is cancer, and if so, if surgery would be an option. But this could be expensive.

If those tests are outside of your budget then your vet may be willing to prescribe a more appropriate antibiotic such as enrofloxacin or TMS.

I really hope he is ok!

is there anything i can do to help his quills lye down

Do all of his quills stand up all of the time? Or is it just the quills near the lump?

no it is all of his quills and they cross over onto each other

Hedgehogs can vary in the way they carry their quills. Most hedgehogs will normally have their quills flat if they are happy and held up straight when they are frightened. However, there are some hedgehogs that just hold their quills up all of the time.

It is not likely a sign of disease. Some hedgehogs will lose their quills more frequently if they are diseased (i.e. if they have mites) but having the quills stand up is not a medical issue.

If Sonic is new to you, there is a possibility that as he learns to trust you he may relax his quills a little. However, there is no guarantee.

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (14997 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (15061 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (12113 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (15997 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (9787 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (8125 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (25957 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (11574 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (10615 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (43631 views)