Lump on hedgehog

Breed: hedgehog
I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I do not clean it daily he gets a dischage from behind the ear that smells like a fungal infection. His quills do not lye down most other hedgehogs I have seen. I have had him on penicillin but it does not seem to be helping. what else can i try

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that little Sonic is having problems. This may be a tough question for me to answer without actually seeing the lump, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

First of all, any time I hear about a hedgehog with a lump I get concerned. Hedgehogs are very prone to cancers. It is possible that this is a cancerous tumor. Sometimes these tumors can produce a very smelly discharge. We can sometimes slow the progression of disease with appropriate antibiotics, but if this is cancer then the antibiotics will not cure the problem.

It is also possible that it is a skin wound that needs a particular type of antibiotic in order to heal. Penicillin is not always the best choice for wounds.

I would definitely advise a vet visit for Sonic. However, deciding what to do may be difficult. Ideally, if cost were not a concern it would be great to have your vet culture the wound (to find out what type of bacteria is growing in it) and also do a fine needle aspirate to determine if the lump is cancer, and if so, if surgery would be an option. But this could be expensive.

If those tests are outside of your budget then your vet may be willing to prescribe a more appropriate antibiotic such as enrofloxacin or TMS.

I really hope he is ok!

is there anything i can do to help his quills lye down

Do all of his quills stand up all of the time? Or is it just the quills near the lump?

no it is all of his quills and they cross over onto each other

Hedgehogs can vary in the way they carry their quills. Most hedgehogs will normally have their quills flat if they are happy and held up straight when they are frightened. However, there are some hedgehogs that just hold their quills up all of the time.

It is not likely a sign of disease. Some hedgehogs will lose their quills more frequently if they are diseased (i.e. if they have mites) but having the quills stand up is not a medical issue.

If Sonic is new to you, there is a possibility that as he learns to trust you he may relax his quills a little. However, there is no guarantee.

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (32344 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20522 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (17323 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (7461 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (9315 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5880 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (11044 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (17551 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (11463 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (6895 views)