Lump on hedgehog

Breed: hedgehog
I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I do not clean it daily he gets a dischage from behind the ear that smells like a fungal infection. His quills do not lye down most other hedgehogs I have seen. I have had him on penicillin but it does not seem to be helping. what else can i try

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that little Sonic is having problems. This may be a tough question for me to answer without actually seeing the lump, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

First of all, any time I hear about a hedgehog with a lump I get concerned. Hedgehogs are very prone to cancers. It is possible that this is a cancerous tumor. Sometimes these tumors can produce a very smelly discharge. We can sometimes slow the progression of disease with appropriate antibiotics, but if this is cancer then the antibiotics will not cure the problem.

It is also possible that it is a skin wound that needs a particular type of antibiotic in order to heal. Penicillin is not always the best choice for wounds.

I would definitely advise a vet visit for Sonic. However, deciding what to do may be difficult. Ideally, if cost were not a concern it would be great to have your vet culture the wound (to find out what type of bacteria is growing in it) and also do a fine needle aspirate to determine if the lump is cancer, and if so, if surgery would be an option. But this could be expensive.

If those tests are outside of your budget then your vet may be willing to prescribe a more appropriate antibiotic such as enrofloxacin or TMS.

I really hope he is ok!

is there anything i can do to help his quills lye down

Do all of his quills stand up all of the time? Or is it just the quills near the lump?

no it is all of his quills and they cross over onto each other

Hedgehogs can vary in the way they carry their quills. Most hedgehogs will normally have their quills flat if they are happy and held up straight when they are frightened. However, there are some hedgehogs that just hold their quills up all of the time.

It is not likely a sign of disease. Some hedgehogs will lose their quills more frequently if they are diseased (i.e. if they have mites) but having the quills stand up is not a medical issue.

If Sonic is new to you, there is a possibility that as he learns to trust you he may relax his quills a little. However, there is no guarantee.

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7611 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (19450 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (67938 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5278 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (7242 views)

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (25370 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15402 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (7062 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11644 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7626 views)