Lump on hedgehog

Breed: hedgehog
I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I do not clean it daily he gets a dischage from behind the ear that smells like a fungal infection. His quills do not lye down most other hedgehogs I have seen. I have had him on penicillin but it does not seem to be helping. what else can i try

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that little Sonic is having problems. This may be a tough question for me to answer without actually seeing the lump, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

First of all, any time I hear about a hedgehog with a lump I get concerned. Hedgehogs are very prone to cancers. It is possible that this is a cancerous tumor. Sometimes these tumors can produce a very smelly discharge. We can sometimes slow the progression of disease with appropriate antibiotics, but if this is cancer then the antibiotics will not cure the problem.

It is also possible that it is a skin wound that needs a particular type of antibiotic in order to heal. Penicillin is not always the best choice for wounds.

I would definitely advise a vet visit for Sonic. However, deciding what to do may be difficult. Ideally, if cost were not a concern it would be great to have your vet culture the wound (to find out what type of bacteria is growing in it) and also do a fine needle aspirate to determine if the lump is cancer, and if so, if surgery would be an option. But this could be expensive.

If those tests are outside of your budget then your vet may be willing to prescribe a more appropriate antibiotic such as enrofloxacin or TMS.

I really hope he is ok!

is there anything i can do to help his quills lye down

Do all of his quills stand up all of the time? Or is it just the quills near the lump?

no it is all of his quills and they cross over onto each other

Hedgehogs can vary in the way they carry their quills. Most hedgehogs will normally have their quills flat if they are happy and held up straight when they are frightened. However, there are some hedgehogs that just hold their quills up all of the time.

It is not likely a sign of disease. Some hedgehogs will lose their quills more frequently if they are diseased (i.e. if they have mites) but having the quills stand up is not a medical issue.

If Sonic is new to you, there is a possibility that as he learns to trust you he may relax his quills a little. However, there is no guarantee.

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17594 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5441 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12175 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (5033 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8009 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11338 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (28755 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (10810 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11530 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (21668 views)