Ear Cleaning.

Breed: yorkie
I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs irritated ear iching.and if so,would you recomend this?or what would be your advise.is there any dangerous side affects to this that could harm my dog's ear or anything else.what would be a sign of infection or something is terribly wrong?In fact I got word of this remedy from a pet show on tv that I did'nt get full knowledge of,so before I try this because my dog is having these problems I want to be sure nothing would happen to her.Thank you in advance I'll be waiting on your response.

Vinegar and water can be used as an ear cleaner in dogs. (1 part vinegar to 2 parts water.) It can be used for minor ear cleansing.

However, if your dog's ears are itchy it is likely that there is an infection. Often ear infections will be either yeast or bacteria or a combination of both. If there is an infection present then prescription medications from your vet are necessary.

Some dogs will have itchy ears because of allergies. If this is the case, vinegar and water will not likely help.

It is certainly worth a try to use the solution to see how things go. Another option is to try an over the counter ear cleanser (which is usually a little less irritating than vinegar and water.) However, if the problem continues a vet visit is necessary.

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9736 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7060 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25307 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (21242 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (18585 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15270 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8822 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6571 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9430 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19397 views)