Pig ears and diarrhea.

Breed: Mongrel
Hi,

My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her out twice in the night as she couldn't hold it in, is this something I should be concerned about or is it normal (we've only had her 2 months)? She does have the occasional treat like pigs ears etc and when it's been raining she licks her feet to clean them, could either of these be the cause of it?

Kind Regards, Sarra

Hi Sarra,
There are many possible reasons for a dog to have diarrhea.

The first thing I would recommend is to keep a diary of what food she gets each day. You may start to notice a pattern that she gets diarrhea after receiving a certain type of treat.

When I see a dog with recurring diarrhea, one of the first things I usually recommend is to have a stool sample checked for parasites.

There are many other things that can cause off and on diarrhea.

There are a number of things that your vet may be able to do to help.

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (8891 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (71491 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (16098 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (4422 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (7276 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (12926 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (8203 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (5304 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (11395 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (7164 views)