maggots in guinea pig's cage

Breed: Guinea pig
Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has fly strike or is. Infected with anything. He is an abyssian guinea pig and seems fine. He eats all his veggies, is active, doesnt have diarrhea or anything of that sort. Do i need to carry him to the vet immediately? I've already cleaned out the cage.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like you have checked Poe over well to see if he has any wounds on him. If there are no wounds and there is no diarrhea then it is unlikely that the maggots came from him.

Was there any food in the cage that had been there for a while? Maggots are the result of flies laying eggs on something and usually it is rotten food.

However, recently I had a client bring me in some cat food that had been out for only an hour and there were little tiny white things on it. We put them in a pill vial and sure enough they were maggots. So, sometimes food doesn't have to be out for very long in order to attract flies.

It sounds like everything is ok though.

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (10052 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6685 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (8121 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8608 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (9508 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (11529 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (18530 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (40592 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (6428 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (8074 views)