maggots in guinea pig's cage

Breed: Guinea pig
Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has fly strike or is. Infected with anything. He is an abyssian guinea pig and seems fine. He eats all his veggies, is active, doesnt have diarrhea or anything of that sort. Do i need to carry him to the vet immediately? I've already cleaned out the cage.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like you have checked Poe over well to see if he has any wounds on him. If there are no wounds and there is no diarrhea then it is unlikely that the maggots came from him.

Was there any food in the cage that had been there for a while? Maggots are the result of flies laying eggs on something and usually it is rotten food.

However, recently I had a client bring me in some cat food that had been out for only an hour and there were little tiny white things on it. We put them in a pill vial and sure enough they were maggots. So, sometimes food doesn't have to be out for very long in order to attract flies.

It sounds like everything is ok though.

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (13383 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11868 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (18150 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10085 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (18749 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10571 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (17380 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (17417 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (16741 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (23602 views)