maggots in guinea pig's cage

Breed: Guinea pig
Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has fly strike or is. Infected with anything. He is an abyssian guinea pig and seems fine. He eats all his veggies, is active, doesnt have diarrhea or anything of that sort. Do i need to carry him to the vet immediately? I've already cleaned out the cage.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like you have checked Poe over well to see if he has any wounds on him. If there are no wounds and there is no diarrhea then it is unlikely that the maggots came from him.

Was there any food in the cage that had been there for a while? Maggots are the result of flies laying eggs on something and usually it is rotten food.

However, recently I had a client bring me in some cat food that had been out for only an hour and there were little tiny white things on it. We put them in a pill vial and sure enough they were maggots. So, sometimes food doesn't have to be out for very long in order to attract flies.

It sounds like everything is ok though.

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (9874 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (25388 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (55031 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (9271 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4081 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8273 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (33700 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (8862 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (19659 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (5998 views)