maggots in guinea pig's cage

Breed: Guinea pig
Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has fly strike or is. Infected with anything. He is an abyssian guinea pig and seems fine. He eats all his veggies, is active, doesnt have diarrhea or anything of that sort. Do i need to carry him to the vet immediately? I've already cleaned out the cage.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like you have checked Poe over well to see if he has any wounds on him. If there are no wounds and there is no diarrhea then it is unlikely that the maggots came from him.

Was there any food in the cage that had been there for a while? Maggots are the result of flies laying eggs on something and usually it is rotten food.

However, recently I had a client bring me in some cat food that had been out for only an hour and there were little tiny white things on it. We put them in a pill vial and sure enough they were maggots. So, sometimes food doesn't have to be out for very long in order to attract flies.

It sounds like everything is ok though.

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11335 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4510 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (182424 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (74016 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7113 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (15614 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6117 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (16810 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (5902 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (7799 views)