maggots in guinea pig's cage

Breed: Guinea pig
Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has fly strike or is. Infected with anything. He is an abyssian guinea pig and seems fine. He eats all his veggies, is active, doesnt have diarrhea or anything of that sort. Do i need to carry him to the vet immediately? I've already cleaned out the cage.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It sounds like you have checked Poe over well to see if he has any wounds on him. If there are no wounds and there is no diarrhea then it is unlikely that the maggots came from him.

Was there any food in the cage that had been there for a while? Maggots are the result of flies laying eggs on something and usually it is rotten food.

However, recently I had a client bring me in some cat food that had been out for only an hour and there were little tiny white things on it. We put them in a pill vial and sure enough they were maggots. So, sometimes food doesn't have to be out for very long in order to attract flies.

It sounds like everything is ok though.

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21212 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (11852 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8157 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6498 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (33138 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13652 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7601 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (7903 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (22276 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5501 views)