Chin acne in cats.

Breed: DSH
He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne on his chin and it still doesn't look like it's healing. What would a vet try next?

Chin acne can be difficult to deal with sometimes.

There are many different ways that we can deal with it. For some cats, oral antibiotics and a cleansing soap such as a mild chlorhexadine soap will work well.

The next thing I usually try is a medicated cream called Bactroban.

Another thing that sometimes works is using Oxypads which is a product that teenagers use for acne. The principle is the same. I have my clients clean the area with the pads 2-3 times per day.

Sometimes, what we think is chin acne is actually something else such as an eosinophilic ulcer. If this is the case then Bernie may need a steroid injection.

Or, if the chin is really bothered he may need a long course of oral antibiotics.

I hope this helps and I hope Bernie is feeling better soon!

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (73284 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (32015 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (9170 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12318 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (13186 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (17616 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (54604 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (8005 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (20434 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (10375 views)