Rabies from a feral kitten?

Breed: Shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I apologize in advance for your troubles as my question today is more about myself rather than an animal, although it does have to do with an animal. I am aware this is not a usual case but I hope my case is relevant.

4 months ago I encountered a feral street cat that I approached and petted. The cat had a very relaxed body language and was affectionate, rubbing off my legs and showed no resistance to neither my approach nor my petting. It seemed healthy. Now a few months later I am very worried it might have been rabid. This worry is irrational, as I live in Abu Dhabi where rabies cases are nonexistent. I just have an anxiety about it because of the fatality rates associated with this virus and the bothersome fact that it can have an incubation period for years in humans.

I am also aware about how the transmission works and unless I was bit or there was direct contact to an open wound or the eyes there is no worry for any sort of transmission. What is causing my entire problem is that after petting the cat I rubbed my eye with my hand, which is causing me to worry that the cat's eye fluid may have gotten on my finger tips and subsequently the virus could've made contact with my eye.

I have heard that cats can only transmit this virus well into the latter stages of their illness where the symptoms are apparent. But I cannot confirm this and my ignorance about this topic has troubled me and lead me to seek help from someone like your good self. I have mentioned the situation clearly and accurately. Is there a chance for rabies transmission from a seemingly healthy cat? 

Once again Im sorry to trouble you with this question and I hope you can help me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time, effort and dedication.

Hi

From what you have described it sounds close to impossible for you to have gotten rabies from this feral cat. There are a few reasons why.

The first is the timeframe. Rabies has a very short incubation period. Most animals that are infected with rabies will die within 10 days. I would assume that this is the same for people. Given that it has been four months, you would know by now if you had rabies.

Next, rabies is transmitted by a deep bite wound as the virus resides in saliva. Fluid from the eye would not be likely to transmit rabies.

And the third thing is that we rarely see young kittens transmit rabies. This is because in order for the animal to get rabies they would have had to receive a deep bite wound from a wild animaland in most cases this would be fatal to a young kitten like this.

Still, with all of this said, I am not a human physician. If you are at all worried about your health I would recommend seeing your doctor.

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25985 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9470 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (7179 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6191 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (25141 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7529 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8265 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21467 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (24193 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (68716 views)