Rabies from a feral kitten?

Breed: Shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I apologize in advance for your troubles as my question today is more about myself rather than an animal, although it does have to do with an animal. I am aware this is not a usual case but I hope my case is relevant.

4 months ago I encountered a feral street cat that I approached and petted. The cat had a very relaxed body language and was affectionate, rubbing off my legs and showed no resistance to neither my approach nor my petting. It seemed healthy. Now a few months later I am very worried it might have been rabid. This worry is irrational, as I live in Abu Dhabi where rabies cases are nonexistent. I just have an anxiety about it because of the fatality rates associated with this virus and the bothersome fact that it can have an incubation period for years in humans.

I am also aware about how the transmission works and unless I was bit or there was direct contact to an open wound or the eyes there is no worry for any sort of transmission. What is causing my entire problem is that after petting the cat I rubbed my eye with my hand, which is causing me to worry that the cat's eye fluid may have gotten on my finger tips and subsequently the virus could've made contact with my eye.

I have heard that cats can only transmit this virus well into the latter stages of their illness where the symptoms are apparent. But I cannot confirm this and my ignorance about this topic has troubled me and lead me to seek help from someone like your good self. I have mentioned the situation clearly and accurately. Is there a chance for rabies transmission from a seemingly healthy cat? 

Once again Im sorry to trouble you with this question and I hope you can help me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time, effort and dedication.

Hi

From what you have described it sounds close to impossible for you to have gotten rabies from this feral cat. There are a few reasons why.

The first is the timeframe. Rabies has a very short incubation period. Most animals that are infected with rabies will die within 10 days. I would assume that this is the same for people. Given that it has been four months, you would know by now if you had rabies.

Next, rabies is transmitted by a deep bite wound as the virus resides in saliva. Fluid from the eye would not be likely to transmit rabies.

And the third thing is that we rarely see young kittens transmit rabies. This is because in order for the animal to get rabies they would have had to receive a deep bite wound from a wild animaland in most cases this would be fatal to a young kitten like this.

Still, with all of this said, I am not a human physician. If you are at all worried about your health I would recommend seeing your doctor.

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (12377 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (43752 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (37170 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (14180 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (6591 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (7963 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13563 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (13076 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (36997 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (17364 views)