Rabies from a feral kitten?

Breed: Shorthair
Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I apologize in advance for your troubles as my question today is more about myself rather than an animal, although it does have to do with an animal. I am aware this is not a usual case but I hope my case is relevant.

4 months ago I encountered a feral street cat that I approached and petted. The cat had a very relaxed body language and was affectionate, rubbing off my legs and showed no resistance to neither my approach nor my petting. It seemed healthy. Now a few months later I am very worried it might have been rabid. This worry is irrational, as I live in Abu Dhabi where rabies cases are nonexistent. I just have an anxiety about it because of the fatality rates associated with this virus and the bothersome fact that it can have an incubation period for years in humans.

I am also aware about how the transmission works and unless I was bit or there was direct contact to an open wound or the eyes there is no worry for any sort of transmission. What is causing my entire problem is that after petting the cat I rubbed my eye with my hand, which is causing me to worry that the cat's eye fluid may have gotten on my finger tips and subsequently the virus could've made contact with my eye.

I have heard that cats can only transmit this virus well into the latter stages of their illness where the symptoms are apparent. But I cannot confirm this and my ignorance about this topic has troubled me and lead me to seek help from someone like your good self. I have mentioned the situation clearly and accurately. Is there a chance for rabies transmission from a seemingly healthy cat? 

Once again Im sorry to trouble you with this question and I hope you can help me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time, effort and dedication.

Hi

From what you have described it sounds close to impossible for you to have gotten rabies from this feral cat. There are a few reasons why.

The first is the timeframe. Rabies has a very short incubation period. Most animals that are infected with rabies will die within 10 days. I would assume that this is the same for people. Given that it has been four months, you would know by now if you had rabies.

Next, rabies is transmitted by a deep bite wound as the virus resides in saliva. Fluid from the eye would not be likely to transmit rabies.

And the third thing is that we rarely see young kittens transmit rabies. This is because in order for the animal to get rabies they would have had to receive a deep bite wound from a wild animaland in most cases this would be fatal to a young kitten like this.

Still, with all of this said, I am not a human physician. If you are at all worried about your health I would recommend seeing your doctor.

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11632 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16781 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15052 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23646 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (14480 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (15061 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7603 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8081 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7034 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (18862 views)