Lab with a cough.

Breed: Chocolate Lab.
Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when she barked or got excited. Now she is coughing and heaving every time she barks or gets excited. And she sometimes will cough up a clear and white foamy liquid. This does not happen when she is active and running, only when she barks or whines.

Sorry to hear that Hershey is having problems with coughing. While I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, I can give you my thoughts.

The most common reason for a young dog to cough like this is Kennel Cough. You may find this article I wrote interesting: Kennel Cough in Dogs.

Often, the type of cough that dogs have with kennel cough cause the dog to sound like there is something stuck in her throat. I often will get clients bring me in dogs that they think are vomiting, but are actually coughing so much that they are bringing up phlegm due to the cough.

A dog doesn't have to have been to a kennel to get kennel cough. It is a virus that is spread very easily through the air.

If this is kennel cough then most dogs do get over it on their own within a few days. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to completely get over it. If the cough is getting worse, then your vet can prescribe a cough suppressant. We usually don't have to prescribe antibiotics.

There are lots of other things that can cause a cough in dogs, but if a cough comes on all of a sudden like this then a virus such as kennel cough is most likely. Other possibilities are aspiration pneumonia (i.e. if the dog inhaled something into her lungs, a fungal infection, asthma and more.

Heart problems such as heartworm or other heart diseases can cause a cough but they usually come on very slowly.

If Hershey seems bright and alert it may be ok to wait a few days before deciding if she needs to see the vet. But, here are some criteria that would make me want to take her in:

-If she's really lethargic.
-If she doesn't want to eat.
-If the cough seems very bothersome (to her or to you)
-If you see a green discharge from her eyes or nose (as this can mean infection.)

It's also a good idea to keep her away from other dogs until she is no longer coughing as kennel cough is very contagious.

I hope she's feeling better soon!

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (180523 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (20003 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (11872 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (21902 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5324 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (10703 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (24383 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (40454 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (15857 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (26741 views)