Lab with a cough.

Breed: Chocolate Lab.
Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when she barked or got excited. Now she is coughing and heaving every time she barks or gets excited. And she sometimes will cough up a clear and white foamy liquid. This does not happen when she is active and running, only when she barks or whines.

Sorry to hear that Hershey is having problems with coughing. While I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, I can give you my thoughts.

The most common reason for a young dog to cough like this is Kennel Cough. You may find this article I wrote interesting: Kennel Cough in Dogs.

Often, the type of cough that dogs have with kennel cough cause the dog to sound like there is something stuck in her throat. I often will get clients bring me in dogs that they think are vomiting, but are actually coughing so much that they are bringing up phlegm due to the cough.

A dog doesn't have to have been to a kennel to get kennel cough. It is a virus that is spread very easily through the air.

If this is kennel cough then most dogs do get over it on their own within a few days. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to completely get over it. If the cough is getting worse, then your vet can prescribe a cough suppressant. We usually don't have to prescribe antibiotics.

There are lots of other things that can cause a cough in dogs, but if a cough comes on all of a sudden like this then a virus such as kennel cough is most likely. Other possibilities are aspiration pneumonia (i.e. if the dog inhaled something into her lungs, a fungal infection, asthma and more.

Heart problems such as heartworm or other heart diseases can cause a cough but they usually come on very slowly.

If Hershey seems bright and alert it may be ok to wait a few days before deciding if she needs to see the vet. But, here are some criteria that would make me want to take her in:

-If she's really lethargic.
-If she doesn't want to eat.
-If the cough seems very bothersome (to her or to you)
-If you see a green discharge from her eyes or nose (as this can mean infection.)

It's also a good idea to keep her away from other dogs until she is no longer coughing as kennel cough is very contagious.

I hope she's feeling better soon!

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26248 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7545 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10393 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (29736 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (7861 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7010 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9360 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10755 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16189 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8780 views)