Lab with a cough.

Breed: Chocolate Lab.
Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when she barked or got excited. Now she is coughing and heaving every time she barks or gets excited. And she sometimes will cough up a clear and white foamy liquid. This does not happen when she is active and running, only when she barks or whines.

Sorry to hear that Hershey is having problems with coughing. While I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, I can give you my thoughts.

The most common reason for a young dog to cough like this is Kennel Cough. You may find this article I wrote interesting: Kennel Cough in Dogs.

Often, the type of cough that dogs have with kennel cough cause the dog to sound like there is something stuck in her throat. I often will get clients bring me in dogs that they think are vomiting, but are actually coughing so much that they are bringing up phlegm due to the cough.

A dog doesn't have to have been to a kennel to get kennel cough. It is a virus that is spread very easily through the air.

If this is kennel cough then most dogs do get over it on their own within a few days. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to completely get over it. If the cough is getting worse, then your vet can prescribe a cough suppressant. We usually don't have to prescribe antibiotics.

There are lots of other things that can cause a cough in dogs, but if a cough comes on all of a sudden like this then a virus such as kennel cough is most likely. Other possibilities are aspiration pneumonia (i.e. if the dog inhaled something into her lungs, a fungal infection, asthma and more.

Heart problems such as heartworm or other heart diseases can cause a cough but they usually come on very slowly.

If Hershey seems bright and alert it may be ok to wait a few days before deciding if she needs to see the vet. But, here are some criteria that would make me want to take her in:

-If she's really lethargic.
-If she doesn't want to eat.
-If the cough seems very bothersome (to her or to you)
-If you see a green discharge from her eyes or nose (as this can mean infection.)

It's also a good idea to keep her away from other dogs until she is no longer coughing as kennel cough is very contagious.

I hope she's feeling better soon!

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (654732 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (59668 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (6687 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (7289 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (8839 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (7374 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (12085 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (29751 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (43111 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (8894 views)