Swollen ankle.

Breed: Doberman
On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause the house is hardwood floors. Well that night he was acting weird and this morning 4/11/12 he was limping and I noticed his right ankle was swollen to the size of a golfball compared to his left ankle. What can I do? I tried icing it and my fiancé tried to bandage it, but the dog growled and then snapped. ( note: this dog has never been anything more the friendly and for him to growle and try to bite is how I know he is in pain)

Any time that I have seen a joint swell to this extent, there is something serious going on.

It's possible that Zeus has a bad sprain, or even a fracture.

I would highly recommend that you have your vet examine him. They will likely need to do some xrays.

If there is no fracture then they will likely prescribe some anti-inflammatory medication which will really help. Zeus will need to be kept quiet until this has healed which could take several weeks.

I hope things are ok!

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (12196 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (11159 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (8918 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (18344 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (26473 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (10410 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (9022 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (26812 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (6953 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (12625 views)