Swollen ankle.

Breed: Doberman
On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause the house is hardwood floors. Well that night he was acting weird and this morning 4/11/12 he was limping and I noticed his right ankle was swollen to the size of a golfball compared to his left ankle. What can I do? I tried icing it and my fiancé tried to bandage it, but the dog growled and then snapped. ( note: this dog has never been anything more the friendly and for him to growle and try to bite is how I know he is in pain)

Any time that I have seen a joint swell to this extent, there is something serious going on.

It's possible that Zeus has a bad sprain, or even a fracture.

I would highly recommend that you have your vet examine him. They will likely need to do some xrays.

If there is no fracture then they will likely prescribe some anti-inflammatory medication which will really help. Zeus will need to be kept quiet until this has healed which could take several weeks.

I hope things are ok!

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (12167 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (11707 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (12581 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (27868 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7556 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6338 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (10016 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22553 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7616 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6959 views)