Swollen ankle.

Breed: Doberman
On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause the house is hardwood floors. Well that night he was acting weird and this morning 4/11/12 he was limping and I noticed his right ankle was swollen to the size of a golfball compared to his left ankle. What can I do? I tried icing it and my fiancé tried to bandage it, but the dog growled and then snapped. ( note: this dog has never been anything more the friendly and for him to growle and try to bite is how I know he is in pain)

Any time that I have seen a joint swell to this extent, there is something serious going on.

It's possible that Zeus has a bad sprain, or even a fracture.

I would highly recommend that you have your vet examine him. They will likely need to do some xrays.

If there is no fracture then they will likely prescribe some anti-inflammatory medication which will really help. Zeus will need to be kept quiet until this has healed which could take several weeks.

I hope things are ok!

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (12215 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (20581 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (10869 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (12745 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (39404 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (13915 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (9078 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (10693 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (11784 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (18344 views)