Swollen ankle.

Breed: Doberman
On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause the house is hardwood floors. Well that night he was acting weird and this morning 4/11/12 he was limping and I noticed his right ankle was swollen to the size of a golfball compared to his left ankle. What can I do? I tried icing it and my fiancé tried to bandage it, but the dog growled and then snapped. ( note: this dog has never been anything more the friendly and for him to growle and try to bite is how I know he is in pain)

Any time that I have seen a joint swell to this extent, there is something serious going on.

It's possible that Zeus has a bad sprain, or even a fracture.

I would highly recommend that you have your vet examine him. They will likely need to do some xrays.

If there is no fracture then they will likely prescribe some anti-inflammatory medication which will really help. Zeus will need to be kept quiet until this has healed which could take several weeks.

I hope things are ok!

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (13663 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15496 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (6030 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (67511 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (15745 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (10195 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (11363 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (5500 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (6383 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (58614 views)