Infected cut on leg.

Breed: pitbull mix
My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small cut. The affected area is dark and is the size of a quarter. The cut or insect bite is like a small hole and is also bleeding and has pus coming out. It doesn't seem to bother my dog at all, but he does lick the area sometimes. I want to know what I can do, before I take him to the Vet.

Any time there is a wound with pus, it means that the dog is going to need either oral antibiotics or a long lasting antibiotic injection such as Convenia.

It's not a bad idea to keep this area clean by simply wiping it with a warm wet cloth as many times as necessary over the day.

But, the sooner Mikey can see a vet the better. With infections, if we wait too long it will mean that either the infection needs to be treated longer with antibiotics or the dog may possibly need a hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics which will ultimately be a lot more expensive.

I hope everything works out ok!

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (19435 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (12399 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (12177 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15878 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (15483 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (12390 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (13216 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (9463 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (9977 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (23043 views)