Infected cut on leg.

Breed: pitbull mix
My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small cut. The affected area is dark and is the size of a quarter. The cut or insect bite is like a small hole and is also bleeding and has pus coming out. It doesn't seem to bother my dog at all, but he does lick the area sometimes. I want to know what I can do, before I take him to the Vet.

Any time there is a wound with pus, it means that the dog is going to need either oral antibiotics or a long lasting antibiotic injection such as Convenia.

It's not a bad idea to keep this area clean by simply wiping it with a warm wet cloth as many times as necessary over the day.

But, the sooner Mikey can see a vet the better. With infections, if we wait too long it will mean that either the infection needs to be treated longer with antibiotics or the dog may possibly need a hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics which will ultimately be a lot more expensive.

I hope everything works out ok!

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (10718 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (48139 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (7954 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (9903 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (13911 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (43992 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (23122 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (19659 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (16842 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (7015 views)