Infected cut on leg.

Breed: pitbull mix
My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small cut. The affected area is dark and is the size of a quarter. The cut or insect bite is like a small hole and is also bleeding and has pus coming out. It doesn't seem to bother my dog at all, but he does lick the area sometimes. I want to know what I can do, before I take him to the Vet.

Any time there is a wound with pus, it means that the dog is going to need either oral antibiotics or a long lasting antibiotic injection such as Convenia.

It's not a bad idea to keep this area clean by simply wiping it with a warm wet cloth as many times as necessary over the day.

But, the sooner Mikey can see a vet the better. With infections, if we wait too long it will mean that either the infection needs to be treated longer with antibiotics or the dog may possibly need a hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics which will ultimately be a lot more expensive.

I hope everything works out ok!

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (8818 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (24226 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (13284 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14026 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7392 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (34479 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14178 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (11824 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8266 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (25498 views)