Infected cut on leg.

Breed: pitbull mix
My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small cut. The affected area is dark and is the size of a quarter. The cut or insect bite is like a small hole and is also bleeding and has pus coming out. It doesn't seem to bother my dog at all, but he does lick the area sometimes. I want to know what I can do, before I take him to the Vet.

Any time there is a wound with pus, it means that the dog is going to need either oral antibiotics or a long lasting antibiotic injection such as Convenia.

It's not a bad idea to keep this area clean by simply wiping it with a warm wet cloth as many times as necessary over the day.

But, the sooner Mikey can see a vet the better. With infections, if we wait too long it will mean that either the infection needs to be treated longer with antibiotics or the dog may possibly need a hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics which will ultimately be a lot more expensive.

I hope everything works out ok!

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19232 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5412 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7838 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5781 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6706 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12924 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (8146 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (12554 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7782 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (36223 views)