Infected cut on leg.

Breed: pitbull mix
My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small cut. The affected area is dark and is the size of a quarter. The cut or insect bite is like a small hole and is also bleeding and has pus coming out. It doesn't seem to bother my dog at all, but he does lick the area sometimes. I want to know what I can do, before I take him to the Vet.

Any time there is a wound with pus, it means that the dog is going to need either oral antibiotics or a long lasting antibiotic injection such as Convenia.

It's not a bad idea to keep this area clean by simply wiping it with a warm wet cloth as many times as necessary over the day.

But, the sooner Mikey can see a vet the better. With infections, if we wait too long it will mean that either the infection needs to be treated longer with antibiotics or the dog may possibly need a hospital stay with intravenous antibiotics which will ultimately be a lot more expensive.

I hope everything works out ok!

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (28374 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (17570 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (19889 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (5264 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (9043 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (10770 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13573 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (226327 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (16754 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (7865 views)