Cat peeing in tub.

Breed: DOMESTIC
Hi, DR. Marie;

Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box, instead of the litter box. i usually keep them clean, we have 2 other cats as well, and they both use the litter boxes, we have 3 boxes, can you tell me why he is doing this, and how i can get him to stop, and start using the litter box, again?

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Sorry to hear that Tiger is having problems like this.

Whenever I hear of a case like this the first thing I recommend is to have his urine checked by your veterinarian. Often when a cat has irritation in the urinary tract it can cause them to urinate in unusual places. The bathtub is a really common place where cats urinate when they are uncomfortable.

The urine test will tell you if he has a condition such as crystals, bladder stones, interstitial cystits or an infection.

I wouldn't advise that you wait too long because if this is a medical condition and he gets worse he could end up with a life threatening blockage.

If the tests are normal then you can talk to your vet about behavioral modifying medications such as amitryptiline.

Other things that often help are:

• Having one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

• Trying different types of litter.

• Offering both covered and uncovered boxes.

• Offering litter boxes in more than one room and at least one on each floor.

• Using Feliway which is a product that releases a pheromone into the air which greatly reduces cat stress.

I hope things are improving soon!

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9081 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23828 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9838 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5231 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (19810 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (92032 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9602 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33311 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9284 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20424 views)