Cat peeing in tub.

Breed: DOMESTIC
Hi, DR. Marie;

Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box, instead of the litter box. i usually keep them clean, we have 2 other cats as well, and they both use the litter boxes, we have 3 boxes, can you tell me why he is doing this, and how i can get him to stop, and start using the litter box, again?

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Sorry to hear that Tiger is having problems like this.

Whenever I hear of a case like this the first thing I recommend is to have his urine checked by your veterinarian. Often when a cat has irritation in the urinary tract it can cause them to urinate in unusual places. The bathtub is a really common place where cats urinate when they are uncomfortable.

The urine test will tell you if he has a condition such as crystals, bladder stones, interstitial cystits or an infection.

I wouldn't advise that you wait too long because if this is a medical condition and he gets worse he could end up with a life threatening blockage.

If the tests are normal then you can talk to your vet about behavioral modifying medications such as amitryptiline.

Other things that often help are:

• Having one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

• Trying different types of litter.

• Offering both covered and uncovered boxes.

• Offering litter boxes in more than one room and at least one on each floor.

• Using Feliway which is a product that releases a pheromone into the air which greatly reduces cat stress.

I hope things are improving soon!

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (8485 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (6071 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (8291 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (15687 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11208 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (7757 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (24245 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (9498 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5589 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (11869 views)