Cat peeing in tub.

Breed: DOMESTIC
Hi, DR. Marie;

Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box, instead of the litter box. i usually keep them clean, we have 2 other cats as well, and they both use the litter boxes, we have 3 boxes, can you tell me why he is doing this, and how i can get him to stop, and start using the litter box, again?

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Sorry to hear that Tiger is having problems like this.

Whenever I hear of a case like this the first thing I recommend is to have his urine checked by your veterinarian. Often when a cat has irritation in the urinary tract it can cause them to urinate in unusual places. The bathtub is a really common place where cats urinate when they are uncomfortable.

The urine test will tell you if he has a condition such as crystals, bladder stones, interstitial cystits or an infection.

I wouldn't advise that you wait too long because if this is a medical condition and he gets worse he could end up with a life threatening blockage.

If the tests are normal then you can talk to your vet about behavioral modifying medications such as amitryptiline.

Other things that often help are:

• Having one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

• Trying different types of litter.

• Offering both covered and uncovered boxes.

• Offering litter boxes in more than one room and at least one on each floor.

• Using Feliway which is a product that releases a pheromone into the air which greatly reduces cat stress.

I hope things are improving soon!

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10804 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (55808 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (16551 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (5969 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (13008 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (18768 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (19250 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (15841 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (33257 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (49569 views)