Cat peeing in tub.

Breed: DOMESTIC
Hi, DR. Marie;

Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box, instead of the litter box. i usually keep them clean, we have 2 other cats as well, and they both use the litter boxes, we have 3 boxes, can you tell me why he is doing this, and how i can get him to stop, and start using the litter box, again?

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Sorry to hear that Tiger is having problems like this.

Whenever I hear of a case like this the first thing I recommend is to have his urine checked by your veterinarian. Often when a cat has irritation in the urinary tract it can cause them to urinate in unusual places. The bathtub is a really common place where cats urinate when they are uncomfortable.

The urine test will tell you if he has a condition such as crystals, bladder stones, interstitial cystits or an infection.

I wouldn't advise that you wait too long because if this is a medical condition and he gets worse he could end up with a life threatening blockage.

If the tests are normal then you can talk to your vet about behavioral modifying medications such as amitryptiline.

Other things that often help are:

• Having one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

• Trying different types of litter.

• Offering both covered and uncovered boxes.

• Offering litter boxes in more than one room and at least one on each floor.

• Using Feliway which is a product that releases a pheromone into the air which greatly reduces cat stress.

I hope things are improving soon!

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (34210 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4983 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (28841 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (12984 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (13476 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (5096 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (26946 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (14049 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (10711 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10007 views)