Cat peeing in tub.

Breed: DOMESTIC
Hi, DR. Marie;

Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box, instead of the litter box. i usually keep them clean, we have 2 other cats as well, and they both use the litter boxes, we have 3 boxes, can you tell me why he is doing this, and how i can get him to stop, and start using the litter box, again?

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Sorry to hear that Tiger is having problems like this.

Whenever I hear of a case like this the first thing I recommend is to have his urine checked by your veterinarian. Often when a cat has irritation in the urinary tract it can cause them to urinate in unusual places. The bathtub is a really common place where cats urinate when they are uncomfortable.

The urine test will tell you if he has a condition such as crystals, bladder stones, interstitial cystits or an infection.

I wouldn't advise that you wait too long because if this is a medical condition and he gets worse he could end up with a life threatening blockage.

If the tests are normal then you can talk to your vet about behavioral modifying medications such as amitryptiline.

Other things that often help are:

• Having one more litter box than the number of cats you have.

• Trying different types of litter.

• Offering both covered and uncovered boxes.

• Offering litter boxes in more than one room and at least one on each floor.

• Using Feliway which is a product that releases a pheromone into the air which greatly reduces cat stress.

I hope things are improving soon!

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (7976 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10503 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (185987 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29159 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16286 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10393 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23950 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (9516 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5418 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (28205 views)