53 days pregnant.

Breed: Dachshund
My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly after my daughter bred her, the inlaw told her she was going to make about $500.00 a piece for the puppies if she had any silvers.
I think this is the dogs first heat. Anyways, the inlaw has told my daughter that the dog will have the puppies this weekend because all her dachshunds deliver at 53 (fifty three days) I told my daughter it takes 59-65 days and if she had the puppies that soon they would probably all die. My daughter insist the woman is right and that the web sites are wrong. So is it possible for her to have these puppies at 53 days and the puppies live?

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Thanks so much for your question.

I have never heard of a dog whelping at 53 days. Just to be sure I did a search on Veterinary Information Network where vets talk about unusual cases and did not find any reference to pups being born that early.

Almost every bitch whelps at 63 days (plus or minus 2 days.) I have seen whelpings that were a few days early that did just fine.

The dog will go into labor when she is ready. She is very unlikely to go into labor at 53 days. In fact, when we take xrays of pregnant dogs it is only around day 45-50 that they have bones that are dense enough to be seen on xrays. They are definitely not mature at 53 days.

There is a great resource for whelping here. (You can cut and paste the link into your browser):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

I hope all goes well! Let me know if you have more questions!

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (15872 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (19248 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8525 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9896 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11908 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (22756 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (10495 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (86366 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14976 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (7353 views)