53 days pregnant.

Breed: Dachshund
My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly after my daughter bred her, the inlaw told her she was going to make about $500.00 a piece for the puppies if she had any silvers.
I think this is the dogs first heat. Anyways, the inlaw has told my daughter that the dog will have the puppies this weekend because all her dachshunds deliver at 53 (fifty three days) I told my daughter it takes 59-65 days and if she had the puppies that soon they would probably all die. My daughter insist the woman is right and that the web sites are wrong. So is it possible for her to have these puppies at 53 days and the puppies live?

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Thanks so much for your question.

I have never heard of a dog whelping at 53 days. Just to be sure I did a search on Veterinary Information Network where vets talk about unusual cases and did not find any reference to pups being born that early.

Almost every bitch whelps at 63 days (plus or minus 2 days.) I have seen whelpings that were a few days early that did just fine.

The dog will go into labor when she is ready. She is very unlikely to go into labor at 53 days. In fact, when we take xrays of pregnant dogs it is only around day 45-50 that they have bones that are dense enough to be seen on xrays. They are definitely not mature at 53 days.

There is a great resource for whelping here. (You can cut and paste the link into your browser):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

I hope all goes well! Let me know if you have more questions!

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (27149 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (7949 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5507 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8491 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5248 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10221 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (22855 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22755 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14531 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23214 views)