53 days pregnant.

Breed: Dachshund
My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly after my daughter bred her, the inlaw told her she was going to make about $500.00 a piece for the puppies if she had any silvers.
I think this is the dogs first heat. Anyways, the inlaw has told my daughter that the dog will have the puppies this weekend because all her dachshunds deliver at 53 (fifty three days) I told my daughter it takes 59-65 days and if she had the puppies that soon they would probably all die. My daughter insist the woman is right and that the web sites are wrong. So is it possible for her to have these puppies at 53 days and the puppies live?

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Thanks so much for your question.

I have never heard of a dog whelping at 53 days. Just to be sure I did a search on Veterinary Information Network where vets talk about unusual cases and did not find any reference to pups being born that early.

Almost every bitch whelps at 63 days (plus or minus 2 days.) I have seen whelpings that were a few days early that did just fine.

The dog will go into labor when she is ready. She is very unlikely to go into labor at 53 days. In fact, when we take xrays of pregnant dogs it is only around day 45-50 that they have bones that are dense enough to be seen on xrays. They are definitely not mature at 53 days.

There is a great resource for whelping here. (You can cut and paste the link into your browser):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

I hope all goes well! Let me know if you have more questions!

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9625 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8847 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4998 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (134803 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (67035 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (17924 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8134 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15555 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7232 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7004 views)