53 days pregnant.

Breed: Dachshund
My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly after my daughter bred her, the inlaw told her she was going to make about $500.00 a piece for the puppies if she had any silvers.
I think this is the dogs first heat. Anyways, the inlaw has told my daughter that the dog will have the puppies this weekend because all her dachshunds deliver at 53 (fifty three days) I told my daughter it takes 59-65 days and if she had the puppies that soon they would probably all die. My daughter insist the woman is right and that the web sites are wrong. So is it possible for her to have these puppies at 53 days and the puppies live?

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Thanks so much for your question.

I have never heard of a dog whelping at 53 days. Just to be sure I did a search on Veterinary Information Network where vets talk about unusual cases and did not find any reference to pups being born that early.

Almost every bitch whelps at 63 days (plus or minus 2 days.) I have seen whelpings that were a few days early that did just fine.

The dog will go into labor when she is ready. She is very unlikely to go into labor at 53 days. In fact, when we take xrays of pregnant dogs it is only around day 45-50 that they have bones that are dense enough to be seen on xrays. They are definitely not mature at 53 days.

There is a great resource for whelping here. (You can cut and paste the link into your browser):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

I hope all goes well! Let me know if you have more questions!

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (31315 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (6089 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (3544 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (8883 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (23599 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13965 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (11076 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (63947 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10257 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (9855 views)