53 days pregnant.

Breed: Dachshund
My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly after my daughter bred her, the inlaw told her she was going to make about $500.00 a piece for the puppies if she had any silvers.
I think this is the dogs first heat. Anyways, the inlaw has told my daughter that the dog will have the puppies this weekend because all her dachshunds deliver at 53 (fifty three days) I told my daughter it takes 59-65 days and if she had the puppies that soon they would probably all die. My daughter insist the woman is right and that the web sites are wrong. So is it possible for her to have these puppies at 53 days and the puppies live?

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Thanks so much for your question.

I have never heard of a dog whelping at 53 days. Just to be sure I did a search on Veterinary Information Network where vets talk about unusual cases and did not find any reference to pups being born that early.

Almost every bitch whelps at 63 days (plus or minus 2 days.) I have seen whelpings that were a few days early that did just fine.

The dog will go into labor when she is ready. She is very unlikely to go into labor at 53 days. In fact, when we take xrays of pregnant dogs it is only around day 45-50 that they have bones that are dense enough to be seen on xrays. They are definitely not mature at 53 days.

There is a great resource for whelping here. (You can cut and paste the link into your browser):

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

I hope all goes well! Let me know if you have more questions!

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (49148 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (5227 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (7985 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (77075 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (19732 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13917 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9808 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (7009 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (13093 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (14455 views)