Double dose Metacam.

Breed: mixed german shep/la
We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5 mg metacam oral suspension every night. We fill the syringe to the 80 mark. I gave him a dose of 80 and then my husband immediately gave him a dose of 80. Do you think we should take him to the emergency? He is sleeping and seems ok. This was about one hour ago. He is otherwise healthy.

Hi there. Cola really should be ok. When we initially start Metacam we actually use a double dose (like you have given today) and then go down to the regular dose.

If you had been doing this on a daily basis then I would be more worried.

You may find that Cola has some minor stomach upset. I would be careful not to give him any extra treats or unusual food that might upset his stomach.

The only cause for concern I would have would be if Cola had a pre-existing serious kidney problem. However, recent studies have shown that oral Metacam is actually quite safe for the kidneys.

Here are some things that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-If you were seeing a large increase in thirst and urination (i.e. indicating a kidney issue.)
-If he was extremely lethargic and not eating over the next 24 hours
-If you are seeing black stools (as this could be a sign of a stomach ulcer)
-If your gut is just telling you that something is quite wrong.

You may consider skipping his Metacam dose tomorrow. Ideally though this is something that you should discuss with your regular veterinarian if possible.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you! I will look out for any issues. Thanks for the peace of mind. Love that you do this!

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if Cola develops any new symptoms over the next couple of days and I can help you decide whether you need to be worried or not.

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (5658 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7514 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25044 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6898 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9428 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8894 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (10069 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11288 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (5007 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5199 views)