Double dose Metacam.

Breed: mixed german shep/la
We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5 mg metacam oral suspension every night. We fill the syringe to the 80 mark. I gave him a dose of 80 and then my husband immediately gave him a dose of 80. Do you think we should take him to the emergency? He is sleeping and seems ok. This was about one hour ago. He is otherwise healthy.

Hi there. Cola really should be ok. When we initially start Metacam we actually use a double dose (like you have given today) and then go down to the regular dose.

If you had been doing this on a daily basis then I would be more worried.

You may find that Cola has some minor stomach upset. I would be careful not to give him any extra treats or unusual food that might upset his stomach.

The only cause for concern I would have would be if Cola had a pre-existing serious kidney problem. However, recent studies have shown that oral Metacam is actually quite safe for the kidneys.

Here are some things that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-If you were seeing a large increase in thirst and urination (i.e. indicating a kidney issue.)
-If he was extremely lethargic and not eating over the next 24 hours
-If you are seeing black stools (as this could be a sign of a stomach ulcer)
-If your gut is just telling you that something is quite wrong.

You may consider skipping his Metacam dose tomorrow. Ideally though this is something that you should discuss with your regular veterinarian if possible.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you! I will look out for any issues. Thanks for the peace of mind. Love that you do this!

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if Cola develops any new symptoms over the next couple of days and I can help you decide whether you need to be worried or not.

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10847 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6681 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6932 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7224 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (6057 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (39678 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (11140 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (27905 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (17498 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (40132 views)