Double dose Metacam.

Breed: mixed german shep/la
We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5 mg metacam oral suspension every night. We fill the syringe to the 80 mark. I gave him a dose of 80 and then my husband immediately gave him a dose of 80. Do you think we should take him to the emergency? He is sleeping and seems ok. This was about one hour ago. He is otherwise healthy.

Hi there. Cola really should be ok. When we initially start Metacam we actually use a double dose (like you have given today) and then go down to the regular dose.

If you had been doing this on a daily basis then I would be more worried.

You may find that Cola has some minor stomach upset. I would be careful not to give him any extra treats or unusual food that might upset his stomach.

The only cause for concern I would have would be if Cola had a pre-existing serious kidney problem. However, recent studies have shown that oral Metacam is actually quite safe for the kidneys.

Here are some things that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-If you were seeing a large increase in thirst and urination (i.e. indicating a kidney issue.)
-If he was extremely lethargic and not eating over the next 24 hours
-If you are seeing black stools (as this could be a sign of a stomach ulcer)
-If your gut is just telling you that something is quite wrong.

You may consider skipping his Metacam dose tomorrow. Ideally though this is something that you should discuss with your regular veterinarian if possible.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you! I will look out for any issues. Thanks for the peace of mind. Love that you do this!

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if Cola develops any new symptoms over the next couple of days and I can help you decide whether you need to be worried or not.

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (9781 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (9230 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (30142 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8981 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (20797 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (6728 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (6883 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (17813 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (14833 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (17167 views)