Double dose Metacam.

Breed: mixed german shep/la
We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5 mg metacam oral suspension every night. We fill the syringe to the 80 mark. I gave him a dose of 80 and then my husband immediately gave him a dose of 80. Do you think we should take him to the emergency? He is sleeping and seems ok. This was about one hour ago. He is otherwise healthy.

Hi there. Cola really should be ok. When we initially start Metacam we actually use a double dose (like you have given today) and then go down to the regular dose.

If you had been doing this on a daily basis then I would be more worried.

You may find that Cola has some minor stomach upset. I would be careful not to give him any extra treats or unusual food that might upset his stomach.

The only cause for concern I would have would be if Cola had a pre-existing serious kidney problem. However, recent studies have shown that oral Metacam is actually quite safe for the kidneys.

Here are some things that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-If you were seeing a large increase in thirst and urination (i.e. indicating a kidney issue.)
-If he was extremely lethargic and not eating over the next 24 hours
-If you are seeing black stools (as this could be a sign of a stomach ulcer)
-If your gut is just telling you that something is quite wrong.

You may consider skipping his Metacam dose tomorrow. Ideally though this is something that you should discuss with your regular veterinarian if possible.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you! I will look out for any issues. Thanks for the peace of mind. Love that you do this!

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if Cola develops any new symptoms over the next couple of days and I can help you decide whether you need to be worried or not.

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14968 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (9585 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (21188 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11921 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7688 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18787 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5857 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (33944 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (10075 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (8351 views)