Double dose Metacam.

Breed: mixed german shep/la
We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5 mg metacam oral suspension every night. We fill the syringe to the 80 mark. I gave him a dose of 80 and then my husband immediately gave him a dose of 80. Do you think we should take him to the emergency? He is sleeping and seems ok. This was about one hour ago. He is otherwise healthy.

Hi there. Cola really should be ok. When we initially start Metacam we actually use a double dose (like you have given today) and then go down to the regular dose.

If you had been doing this on a daily basis then I would be more worried.

You may find that Cola has some minor stomach upset. I would be careful not to give him any extra treats or unusual food that might upset his stomach.

The only cause for concern I would have would be if Cola had a pre-existing serious kidney problem. However, recent studies have shown that oral Metacam is actually quite safe for the kidneys.

Here are some things that would make me want to take him to the vet:

-If you were seeing a large increase in thirst and urination (i.e. indicating a kidney issue.)
-If he was extremely lethargic and not eating over the next 24 hours
-If you are seeing black stools (as this could be a sign of a stomach ulcer)
-If your gut is just telling you that something is quite wrong.

You may consider skipping his Metacam dose tomorrow. Ideally though this is something that you should discuss with your regular veterinarian if possible.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you! I will look out for any issues. Thanks for the peace of mind. Love that you do this!

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply again if Cola develops any new symptoms over the next couple of days and I can help you decide whether you need to be worried or not.

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (6434 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (16187 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (22378 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (47638 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (17213 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (7434 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (11702 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15863 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (15524 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7802 views)