Aggressive hamster.

Breed: russian hamster
hello,
i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really nice letting me handel him and pick him up but the next day i couldent even put my hand in the cage with out him biteing me. I couldent even pet him whilst he was still in his cage as i had also done yesterday.
why is he doing this?
will he stop?
what can i do to help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of hamsters who bite when frightened. It's hard to say why he was allowing you to handle him yesterday though and not today.

My guess is that he is frightened about his new surroundings. There is a good chance that given a few days to a week in his new home he will be much more tame.

For now it's best to only pet him when he is accepting your attention. Never try to handle him when awake and immediately put him back if he starts to get aggressive.

Try to approach him regularly with some sort of treat that he may like such as a vegetable like broccoli. Don't push things too far. So, offer him the food and see if he will let you pet him. It shouldn't take long for him to come around.

It is also possible that he is aggressive because there is pain somewhere. If this is the case you will likely notice a lack of appetite and also lethargy. If you are seeing this then you should have your vet look at him.

I think, knowing that he was tame at first gives me hope that he will calm down soon.

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (7147 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (9492 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (686781 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (110444 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (21703 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20221 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (38056 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (13490 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (9917 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (9490 views)