Aggressive hamster.

Breed: russian hamster
hello,
i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really nice letting me handel him and pick him up but the next day i couldent even put my hand in the cage with out him biteing me. I couldent even pet him whilst he was still in his cage as i had also done yesterday.
why is he doing this?
will he stop?
what can i do to help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of hamsters who bite when frightened. It's hard to say why he was allowing you to handle him yesterday though and not today.

My guess is that he is frightened about his new surroundings. There is a good chance that given a few days to a week in his new home he will be much more tame.

For now it's best to only pet him when he is accepting your attention. Never try to handle him when awake and immediately put him back if he starts to get aggressive.

Try to approach him regularly with some sort of treat that he may like such as a vegetable like broccoli. Don't push things too far. So, offer him the food and see if he will let you pet him. It shouldn't take long for him to come around.

It is also possible that he is aggressive because there is pain somewhere. If this is the case you will likely notice a lack of appetite and also lethargy. If you are seeing this then you should have your vet look at him.

I think, knowing that he was tame at first gives me hope that he will calm down soon.

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19006 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13251 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (10160 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4487 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4868 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (20473 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17410 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33252 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19449 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (13951 views)