Aggressive hamster.

Breed: russian hamster
hello,
i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really nice letting me handel him and pick him up but the next day i couldent even put my hand in the cage with out him biteing me. I couldent even pet him whilst he was still in his cage as i had also done yesterday.
why is he doing this?
will he stop?
what can i do to help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of hamsters who bite when frightened. It's hard to say why he was allowing you to handle him yesterday though and not today.

My guess is that he is frightened about his new surroundings. There is a good chance that given a few days to a week in his new home he will be much more tame.

For now it's best to only pet him when he is accepting your attention. Never try to handle him when awake and immediately put him back if he starts to get aggressive.

Try to approach him regularly with some sort of treat that he may like such as a vegetable like broccoli. Don't push things too far. So, offer him the food and see if he will let you pet him. It shouldn't take long for him to come around.

It is also possible that he is aggressive because there is pain somewhere. If this is the case you will likely notice a lack of appetite and also lethargy. If you are seeing this then you should have your vet look at him.

I think, knowing that he was tame at first gives me hope that he will calm down soon.

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28760 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12676 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (104988 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (6052 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (15888 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7991 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (18160 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9295 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (8108 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14395 views)