Aggressive hamster.

Breed: russian hamster
hello,
i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really nice letting me handel him and pick him up but the next day i couldent even put my hand in the cage with out him biteing me. I couldent even pet him whilst he was still in his cage as i had also done yesterday.
why is he doing this?
will he stop?
what can i do to help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of hamsters who bite when frightened. It's hard to say why he was allowing you to handle him yesterday though and not today.

My guess is that he is frightened about his new surroundings. There is a good chance that given a few days to a week in his new home he will be much more tame.

For now it's best to only pet him when he is accepting your attention. Never try to handle him when awake and immediately put him back if he starts to get aggressive.

Try to approach him regularly with some sort of treat that he may like such as a vegetable like broccoli. Don't push things too far. So, offer him the food and see if he will let you pet him. It shouldn't take long for him to come around.

It is also possible that he is aggressive because there is pain somewhere. If this is the case you will likely notice a lack of appetite and also lethargy. If you are seeing this then you should have your vet look at him.

I think, knowing that he was tame at first gives me hope that he will calm down soon.

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25846 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (31343 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (11789 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5697 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (16104 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19605 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16616 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14161 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (11040 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11671 views)