Benadryl for allergies?

Breed: daschund
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes her to bite and chew herself. I took her to a local vet who told me she had allergies. He suggested that I give her three doses of 25mg tablets of Benedryl each day. He also combed her coat for any parasites. There were none. The Benedryl did help a little bit, but not very much. She still has the chewing problem. I NEED HELP! My poor dog is traumatizing her skin. Please tell me what you think.
Sincerely,
Tom

I don't find that Benadryl works well for most dogs with allergies. I really do find that most dogs with allergies need to take some type of oral steroid such as prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaril-P.

You will likely need to contact your vet to find out if they can prescribe one of these for you. Steroids are safe if given in small doses.

There are other things that can help such as Aller-derm which is a topical medicine to help improve the skin barrier. But again, it sounds like steroids are going to be necessary!

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (15609 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (12175 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (13943 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (19170 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (11702 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (16050 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (17986 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12987 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (100404 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (72686 views)