Benadryl for allergies?

Breed: daschund
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes her to bite and chew herself. I took her to a local vet who told me she had allergies. He suggested that I give her three doses of 25mg tablets of Benedryl each day. He also combed her coat for any parasites. There were none. The Benedryl did help a little bit, but not very much. She still has the chewing problem. I NEED HELP! My poor dog is traumatizing her skin. Please tell me what you think.
Sincerely,
Tom

I don't find that Benadryl works well for most dogs with allergies. I really do find that most dogs with allergies need to take some type of oral steroid such as prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaril-P.

You will likely need to contact your vet to find out if they can prescribe one of these for you. Steroids are safe if given in small doses.

There are other things that can help such as Aller-derm which is a topical medicine to help improve the skin barrier. But again, it sounds like steroids are going to be necessary!

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (57261 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (21271 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (6544 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10890 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4740 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10418 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4481 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16571 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7892 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5118 views)