Benadryl for allergies?

Breed: daschund
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes her to bite and chew herself. I took her to a local vet who told me she had allergies. He suggested that I give her three doses of 25mg tablets of Benedryl each day. He also combed her coat for any parasites. There were none. The Benedryl did help a little bit, but not very much. She still has the chewing problem. I NEED HELP! My poor dog is traumatizing her skin. Please tell me what you think.
Sincerely,
Tom

I don't find that Benadryl works well for most dogs with allergies. I really do find that most dogs with allergies need to take some type of oral steroid such as prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaril-P.

You will likely need to contact your vet to find out if they can prescribe one of these for you. Steroids are safe if given in small doses.

There are other things that can help such as Aller-derm which is a topical medicine to help improve the skin barrier. But again, it sounds like steroids are going to be necessary!

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (10244 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (7381 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8142 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (37860 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8303 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (8294 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (9674 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (6743 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (665884 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (68893 views)