Benadryl for allergies?

Breed: daschund
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes her to bite and chew herself. I took her to a local vet who told me she had allergies. He suggested that I give her three doses of 25mg tablets of Benedryl each day. He also combed her coat for any parasites. There were none. The Benedryl did help a little bit, but not very much. She still has the chewing problem. I NEED HELP! My poor dog is traumatizing her skin. Please tell me what you think.
Sincerely,
Tom

I don't find that Benadryl works well for most dogs with allergies. I really do find that most dogs with allergies need to take some type of oral steroid such as prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaril-P.

You will likely need to contact your vet to find out if they can prescribe one of these for you. Steroids are safe if given in small doses.

There are other things that can help such as Aller-derm which is a topical medicine to help improve the skin barrier. But again, it sounds like steroids are going to be necessary!

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (50727 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (12305 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (14325 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (12948 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (14814 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (15266 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (17409 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (8598 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (14632 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (28908 views)