Benadryl for allergies?

Breed: daschund
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes her to bite and chew herself. I took her to a local vet who told me she had allergies. He suggested that I give her three doses of 25mg tablets of Benedryl each day. He also combed her coat for any parasites. There were none. The Benedryl did help a little bit, but not very much. She still has the chewing problem. I NEED HELP! My poor dog is traumatizing her skin. Please tell me what you think.
Sincerely,
Tom

I don't find that Benadryl works well for most dogs with allergies. I really do find that most dogs with allergies need to take some type of oral steroid such as prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaril-P.

You will likely need to contact your vet to find out if they can prescribe one of these for you. Steroids are safe if given in small doses.

There are other things that can help such as Aller-derm which is a topical medicine to help improve the skin barrier. But again, it sounds like steroids are going to be necessary!

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10838 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (16462 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (9728 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5534 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11342 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (92852 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5893 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11201 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (15917 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9670 views)