Dog limping.

Breed: Alaskan Husky
My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk yesterday and I thought he might be having joint pain, but he actually seems better when we take him out to walk. Also, sometime last week he found something "crunchy" on the ground to eat, I couldn't get him to drop it, but I thought it might be a chicken bone.

I gave him 2 asprin, but they didn't seem to help.

The spot just behind the top of his front legs, over his ribs, the muscle there is quivering sometimes and when I touch it he crys like it hurts.

I don't know if this should require a vet visit. I think if he is not better by tomorrow I will take him.

Thanks.

It's always hard to know if a lameness is a serious issue or not.

Generally here are my criteria for a vet visit with a limping dog:

• If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then a vet visit is necessary right away.

• If there is absolutely no improvement in 24-48 hours.

• If the limp is slowly improving but still hasn't resolved in a week.

I don't usually recommend giving aspirin to dogs for pain as sometimes it can cause stomach or kidney problems. Also if a dog has been given aspirin then it may mean that the vet won't be able to prescribe a better anti-inflammatory until the aspirin is out of his system.

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (55960 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (15962 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (7713 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (5950 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (10107 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (15689 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (11518 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (9158 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (32730 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (5583 views)