Dog limping.

Breed: Alaskan Husky
My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk yesterday and I thought he might be having joint pain, but he actually seems better when we take him out to walk. Also, sometime last week he found something "crunchy" on the ground to eat, I couldn't get him to drop it, but I thought it might be a chicken bone.

I gave him 2 asprin, but they didn't seem to help.

The spot just behind the top of his front legs, over his ribs, the muscle there is quivering sometimes and when I touch it he crys like it hurts.

I don't know if this should require a vet visit. I think if he is not better by tomorrow I will take him.

Thanks.

It's always hard to know if a lameness is a serious issue or not.

Generally here are my criteria for a vet visit with a limping dog:

• If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then a vet visit is necessary right away.

• If there is absolutely no improvement in 24-48 hours.

• If the limp is slowly improving but still hasn't resolved in a week.

I don't usually recommend giving aspirin to dogs for pain as sometimes it can cause stomach or kidney problems. Also if a dog has been given aspirin then it may mean that the vet won't be able to prescribe a better anti-inflammatory until the aspirin is out of his system.

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (8205 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (8737 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (9466 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (15705 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (8697 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (8042 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (7299 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (5462 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (4220 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (18914 views)