Dog limping.

Breed: Alaskan Husky
My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk yesterday and I thought he might be having joint pain, but he actually seems better when we take him out to walk. Also, sometime last week he found something "crunchy" on the ground to eat, I couldn't get him to drop it, but I thought it might be a chicken bone.

I gave him 2 asprin, but they didn't seem to help.

The spot just behind the top of his front legs, over his ribs, the muscle there is quivering sometimes and when I touch it he crys like it hurts.

I don't know if this should require a vet visit. I think if he is not better by tomorrow I will take him.

Thanks.

It's always hard to know if a lameness is a serious issue or not.

Generally here are my criteria for a vet visit with a limping dog:

• If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then a vet visit is necessary right away.

• If there is absolutely no improvement in 24-48 hours.

• If the limp is slowly improving but still hasn't resolved in a week.

I don't usually recommend giving aspirin to dogs for pain as sometimes it can cause stomach or kidney problems. Also if a dog has been given aspirin then it may mean that the vet won't be able to prescribe a better anti-inflammatory until the aspirin is out of his system.

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (8978 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (6762 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (19768 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (53157 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (15385 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (14376 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (25321 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (15470 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (13211 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (53908 views)