Dog limping.

Breed: Alaskan Husky
My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk yesterday and I thought he might be having joint pain, but he actually seems better when we take him out to walk. Also, sometime last week he found something "crunchy" on the ground to eat, I couldn't get him to drop it, but I thought it might be a chicken bone.

I gave him 2 asprin, but they didn't seem to help.

The spot just behind the top of his front legs, over his ribs, the muscle there is quivering sometimes and when I touch it he crys like it hurts.

I don't know if this should require a vet visit. I think if he is not better by tomorrow I will take him.

Thanks.

It's always hard to know if a lameness is a serious issue or not.

Generally here are my criteria for a vet visit with a limping dog:

• If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then a vet visit is necessary right away.

• If there is absolutely no improvement in 24-48 hours.

• If the limp is slowly improving but still hasn't resolved in a week.

I don't usually recommend giving aspirin to dogs for pain as sometimes it can cause stomach or kidney problems. Also if a dog has been given aspirin then it may mean that the vet won't be able to prescribe a better anti-inflammatory until the aspirin is out of his system.

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5085 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (17093 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10965 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5317 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (43213 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (8105 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9518 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (33042 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (22986 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11189 views)