Dog limping.

Breed: Alaskan Husky
My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk yesterday and I thought he might be having joint pain, but he actually seems better when we take him out to walk. Also, sometime last week he found something "crunchy" on the ground to eat, I couldn't get him to drop it, but I thought it might be a chicken bone.

I gave him 2 asprin, but they didn't seem to help.

The spot just behind the top of his front legs, over his ribs, the muscle there is quivering sometimes and when I touch it he crys like it hurts.

I don't know if this should require a vet visit. I think if he is not better by tomorrow I will take him.

Thanks.

It's always hard to know if a lameness is a serious issue or not.

Generally here are my criteria for a vet visit with a limping dog:

• If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then a vet visit is necessary right away.

• If there is absolutely no improvement in 24-48 hours.

• If the limp is slowly improving but still hasn't resolved in a week.

I don't usually recommend giving aspirin to dogs for pain as sometimes it can cause stomach or kidney problems. Also if a dog has been given aspirin then it may mean that the vet won't be able to prescribe a better anti-inflammatory until the aspirin is out of his system.

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5946 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (8029 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13215 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (40397 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (11839 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (33863 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8079 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (14789 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (5714 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (9595 views)