Dog urinating in the house.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrior
I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross between a jack russel and a yorkshire terrior and he has a problem with urinating. we're close to have to get rid of him because its becoming too much to handle. We got him when he was a puppy and trained him to use the backgarden, or outside, for urinating and other, the training worked but only for a year and how he is urinating on anything and everything, cushions, sofa, tv etc...we have two cats, one parrot and one budgee. I also recently had my teenage daughter move out, she was the one that picked him out and raised him basically. please help i dont want to have to let go of him. thank you.

Oh, sorry to hear that Titch is having this problem. It is really a frustrating thing when a dog wants to pee on everything.

My first question would be to ask whether or not he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered has a really good chance of stopping him from urinating on things. Testosterone can cause a dog to want to mark his territory and usually once we castrate a dog that desire goes away.

The next thing I would advise is to have your vet check a urine sample from him. Quite often when a dog is urinating in the house it is because there is a medical problem. One such problem would be inflammation in the bladder from a chronic infection, bladder stones or crystals. All of these are fixable problems. Another possibility is something that would cause him to produce extra urine such as diabetes or a kidney problem.

If medically he checks out ok then there are some good training things you can do to help. I really advocate crate training. What this means is that he stays in his crate all day long other than going outside for walks. When he urinates in an appropriate place give him lots of praise. It usually takes about 1-3 weeks of crate training for a dog to retrain his brain that outside should be his toilet and not inside. After 1-3 weeks then you can start allowing him small time periods outside of the crate and gradually increase the amount of time he is allowed out.

It will also help to thoroughly clean any area where he has urinated.

I hope things improve soon!

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (29787 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12648 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13863 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (13379 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (66152 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (23867 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10806 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5492 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5276 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (49146 views)