Dog urinating in the house.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrior
I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross between a jack russel and a yorkshire terrior and he has a problem with urinating. we're close to have to get rid of him because its becoming too much to handle. We got him when he was a puppy and trained him to use the backgarden, or outside, for urinating and other, the training worked but only for a year and how he is urinating on anything and everything, cushions, sofa, tv etc...we have two cats, one parrot and one budgee. I also recently had my teenage daughter move out, she was the one that picked him out and raised him basically. please help i dont want to have to let go of him. thank you.

Oh, sorry to hear that Titch is having this problem. It is really a frustrating thing when a dog wants to pee on everything.

My first question would be to ask whether or not he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered has a really good chance of stopping him from urinating on things. Testosterone can cause a dog to want to mark his territory and usually once we castrate a dog that desire goes away.

The next thing I would advise is to have your vet check a urine sample from him. Quite often when a dog is urinating in the house it is because there is a medical problem. One such problem would be inflammation in the bladder from a chronic infection, bladder stones or crystals. All of these are fixable problems. Another possibility is something that would cause him to produce extra urine such as diabetes or a kidney problem.

If medically he checks out ok then there are some good training things you can do to help. I really advocate crate training. What this means is that he stays in his crate all day long other than going outside for walks. When he urinates in an appropriate place give him lots of praise. It usually takes about 1-3 weeks of crate training for a dog to retrain his brain that outside should be his toilet and not inside. After 1-3 weeks then you can start allowing him small time periods outside of the crate and gradually increase the amount of time he is allowed out.

It will also help to thoroughly clean any area where he has urinated.

I hope things improve soon!

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (9610 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6298 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (82750 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (10056 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (23032 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (19383 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (77443 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (18616 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (7654 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (30702 views)