Dog urinating in the house.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrior
I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross between a jack russel and a yorkshire terrior and he has a problem with urinating. we're close to have to get rid of him because its becoming too much to handle. We got him when he was a puppy and trained him to use the backgarden, or outside, for urinating and other, the training worked but only for a year and how he is urinating on anything and everything, cushions, sofa, tv etc...we have two cats, one parrot and one budgee. I also recently had my teenage daughter move out, she was the one that picked him out and raised him basically. please help i dont want to have to let go of him. thank you.

Oh, sorry to hear that Titch is having this problem. It is really a frustrating thing when a dog wants to pee on everything.

My first question would be to ask whether or not he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered has a really good chance of stopping him from urinating on things. Testosterone can cause a dog to want to mark his territory and usually once we castrate a dog that desire goes away.

The next thing I would advise is to have your vet check a urine sample from him. Quite often when a dog is urinating in the house it is because there is a medical problem. One such problem would be inflammation in the bladder from a chronic infection, bladder stones or crystals. All of these are fixable problems. Another possibility is something that would cause him to produce extra urine such as diabetes or a kidney problem.

If medically he checks out ok then there are some good training things you can do to help. I really advocate crate training. What this means is that he stays in his crate all day long other than going outside for walks. When he urinates in an appropriate place give him lots of praise. It usually takes about 1-3 weeks of crate training for a dog to retrain his brain that outside should be his toilet and not inside. After 1-3 weeks then you can start allowing him small time periods outside of the crate and gradually increase the amount of time he is allowed out.

It will also help to thoroughly clean any area where he has urinated.

I hope things improve soon!

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (14382 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (17705 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (14328 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (12676 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (20321 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (6177 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (16710 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (23274 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (21484 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18933 views)