Dog urinating in the house.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrior
I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross between a jack russel and a yorkshire terrior and he has a problem with urinating. we're close to have to get rid of him because its becoming too much to handle. We got him when he was a puppy and trained him to use the backgarden, or outside, for urinating and other, the training worked but only for a year and how he is urinating on anything and everything, cushions, sofa, tv etc...we have two cats, one parrot and one budgee. I also recently had my teenage daughter move out, she was the one that picked him out and raised him basically. please help i dont want to have to let go of him. thank you.

Oh, sorry to hear that Titch is having this problem. It is really a frustrating thing when a dog wants to pee on everything.

My first question would be to ask whether or not he is neutered. If not, then having him neutered has a really good chance of stopping him from urinating on things. Testosterone can cause a dog to want to mark his territory and usually once we castrate a dog that desire goes away.

The next thing I would advise is to have your vet check a urine sample from him. Quite often when a dog is urinating in the house it is because there is a medical problem. One such problem would be inflammation in the bladder from a chronic infection, bladder stones or crystals. All of these are fixable problems. Another possibility is something that would cause him to produce extra urine such as diabetes or a kidney problem.

If medically he checks out ok then there are some good training things you can do to help. I really advocate crate training. What this means is that he stays in his crate all day long other than going outside for walks. When he urinates in an appropriate place give him lots of praise. It usually takes about 1-3 weeks of crate training for a dog to retrain his brain that outside should be his toilet and not inside. After 1-3 weeks then you can start allowing him small time periods outside of the crate and gradually increase the amount of time he is allowed out.

It will also help to thoroughly clean any area where he has urinated.

I hope things improve soon!

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8829 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13086 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14938 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (67375 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15285 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10369 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (32749 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (9000 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (9131 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6787 views)