Eye infection in feral cat

Breed: a feral cat
I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and lasted 4-6 wks. One of the cats which is very hard to get near appears to have a raging eye infection. His head is swollen and his eye is filled with fluid. Unfortunately he has avoided capture. The only way I could treat him is with a once a day antibiotic that I can put in his food. He eats like a truck driver. Is there anything I could ask for that would be effective?

Thanks for trying to help these poor cats out. Situations like this are difficult because the disease keeps spreading. Unfortunately, unless every single cat can be trapped and properly vaccinated and boosted the virus is just going to keep spreading.

Unfortunately for eye infections they don't usually get better unless we are able to put medicine in the eye and you'd have to do that several times per day. So this is a tough situation. The antibiotics in the food may help somewhat but may not cure the problem. :(

One thing you could ask your vet about is using a product called lysine. This is an amino acid that you can add to some food and hopefully the cats will eat it. The amino acid helps stop the reproduction of the virus. This may help the cats recover quicker.

One other thing...if you can catch him, you could ask your vet about treating him with an injection of Convenia. This is an antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks, so you wouldn't have to get him to eat the oral antibiotic. It's not as good as putting meds directly in the eye, but it should help.

I wish I had more answers for you! I hope this guy gets better soon.

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29304 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47037 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (11206 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (17097 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7692 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5580 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7932 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (8846 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5778 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10974 views)