Eye infection in feral cat

Breed: a feral cat
I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and lasted 4-6 wks. One of the cats which is very hard to get near appears to have a raging eye infection. His head is swollen and his eye is filled with fluid. Unfortunately he has avoided capture. The only way I could treat him is with a once a day antibiotic that I can put in his food. He eats like a truck driver. Is there anything I could ask for that would be effective?

Thanks for trying to help these poor cats out. Situations like this are difficult because the disease keeps spreading. Unfortunately, unless every single cat can be trapped and properly vaccinated and boosted the virus is just going to keep spreading.

Unfortunately for eye infections they don't usually get better unless we are able to put medicine in the eye and you'd have to do that several times per day. So this is a tough situation. The antibiotics in the food may help somewhat but may not cure the problem. :(

One thing you could ask your vet about is using a product called lysine. This is an amino acid that you can add to some food and hopefully the cats will eat it. The amino acid helps stop the reproduction of the virus. This may help the cats recover quicker.

One other thing...if you can catch him, you could ask your vet about treating him with an injection of Convenia. This is an antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks, so you wouldn't have to get him to eat the oral antibiotic. It's not as good as putting meds directly in the eye, but it should help.

I wish I had more answers for you! I hope this guy gets better soon.

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (13337 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5041 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6683 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9155 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17377 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (4957 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17317 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (10457 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (29709 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15397 views)