Eye infection in feral cat

Breed: a feral cat
I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and lasted 4-6 wks. One of the cats which is very hard to get near appears to have a raging eye infection. His head is swollen and his eye is filled with fluid. Unfortunately he has avoided capture. The only way I could treat him is with a once a day antibiotic that I can put in his food. He eats like a truck driver. Is there anything I could ask for that would be effective?

Thanks for trying to help these poor cats out. Situations like this are difficult because the disease keeps spreading. Unfortunately, unless every single cat can be trapped and properly vaccinated and boosted the virus is just going to keep spreading.

Unfortunately for eye infections they don't usually get better unless we are able to put medicine in the eye and you'd have to do that several times per day. So this is a tough situation. The antibiotics in the food may help somewhat but may not cure the problem. :(

One thing you could ask your vet about is using a product called lysine. This is an amino acid that you can add to some food and hopefully the cats will eat it. The amino acid helps stop the reproduction of the virus. This may help the cats recover quicker.

One other thing...if you can catch him, you could ask your vet about treating him with an injection of Convenia. This is an antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks, so you wouldn't have to get him to eat the oral antibiotic. It's not as good as putting meds directly in the eye, but it should help.

I wish I had more answers for you! I hope this guy gets better soon.

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20742 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5380 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (12043 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (8090 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11520 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16808 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (8321 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30786 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (36381 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16519 views)