Eye infection in feral cat

Breed: a feral cat
I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and lasted 4-6 wks. One of the cats which is very hard to get near appears to have a raging eye infection. His head is swollen and his eye is filled with fluid. Unfortunately he has avoided capture. The only way I could treat him is with a once a day antibiotic that I can put in his food. He eats like a truck driver. Is there anything I could ask for that would be effective?

Thanks for trying to help these poor cats out. Situations like this are difficult because the disease keeps spreading. Unfortunately, unless every single cat can be trapped and properly vaccinated and boosted the virus is just going to keep spreading.

Unfortunately for eye infections they don't usually get better unless we are able to put medicine in the eye and you'd have to do that several times per day. So this is a tough situation. The antibiotics in the food may help somewhat but may not cure the problem. :(

One thing you could ask your vet about is using a product called lysine. This is an amino acid that you can add to some food and hopefully the cats will eat it. The amino acid helps stop the reproduction of the virus. This may help the cats recover quicker.

One other thing...if you can catch him, you could ask your vet about treating him with an injection of Convenia. This is an antibiotic that lasts for 2 weeks, so you wouldn't have to get him to eat the oral antibiotic. It's not as good as putting meds directly in the eye, but it should help.

I wish I had more answers for you! I hope this guy gets better soon.

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (22909 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (13897 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (6993 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (7748 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (23587 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (9966 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (42546 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (36891 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (9348 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (23940 views)