Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis.

Breed: Papillon
Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on the safety of the antu-fungal Ketoconazole, and your answer was spot-on. He's doing very well and seems back to his old self although he still has 2 more weeks of treatments (and prescription baths every 3 days) to go.
My new question is, its time for my dogs monthly Comfortis / Heartguard treatment, and I want to make sure its safe to give him these while on his other medicine. He's such a little dog and I dont want to overload his system.
Thanks again, Have a great weekend,
Tina

I'm glad to hear that Poppi is improving. Yay!

Your question about Poppi's heartworm and flea medication is actually one that you will need to ask your vet about as I can't legally advise on medication online.

Ketoconazole is not supposed to be used with Ivermectin as it can increase the chances of Ivermectin toxicity. Heartgard contains ivermectin. However, it contains a very tiny dosage of it and I think that the chances of developing a toxicty would be extremely small.

The general consensus among vets is that this risk is only a problem for dogs who are on daily doses of ivermectin such as for treatment of demodectic mange. A single monthly minisucle dose such as what we see in Heartgard is very unlikely to cause a problem.

Ketoconazole should be safe with spinosad, the ingredient in Comfortis.

I think you should be fine, but I would highly suggest that you get your vet's opinion in Poppi's case.

Thanks Dr. Marie, I'll do that.
Now I's so glad I asked instead of giving it to him.

Sincerely, Tina

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (8174 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11403 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12862 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6006 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8051 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5820 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8004 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (11070 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26844 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (67697 views)