Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis.

Breed: Papillon
Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on the safety of the antu-fungal Ketoconazole, and your answer was spot-on. He's doing very well and seems back to his old self although he still has 2 more weeks of treatments (and prescription baths every 3 days) to go.
My new question is, its time for my dogs monthly Comfortis / Heartguard treatment, and I want to make sure its safe to give him these while on his other medicine. He's such a little dog and I dont want to overload his system.
Thanks again, Have a great weekend,
Tina

I'm glad to hear that Poppi is improving. Yay!

Your question about Poppi's heartworm and flea medication is actually one that you will need to ask your vet about as I can't legally advise on medication online.

Ketoconazole is not supposed to be used with Ivermectin as it can increase the chances of Ivermectin toxicity. Heartgard contains ivermectin. However, it contains a very tiny dosage of it and I think that the chances of developing a toxicty would be extremely small.

The general consensus among vets is that this risk is only a problem for dogs who are on daily doses of ivermectin such as for treatment of demodectic mange. A single monthly minisucle dose such as what we see in Heartgard is very unlikely to cause a problem.

Ketoconazole should be safe with spinosad, the ingredient in Comfortis.

I think you should be fine, but I would highly suggest that you get your vet's opinion in Poppi's case.

Thanks Dr. Marie, I'll do that.
Now I's so glad I asked instead of giving it to him.

Sincerely, Tina

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (18300 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (28703 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (11556 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (9416 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (17803 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (13753 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (17056 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (13775 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (184586 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6427 views)