Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis.

Breed: Papillon
Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on the safety of the antu-fungal Ketoconazole, and your answer was spot-on. He's doing very well and seems back to his old self although he still has 2 more weeks of treatments (and prescription baths every 3 days) to go.
My new question is, its time for my dogs monthly Comfortis / Heartguard treatment, and I want to make sure its safe to give him these while on his other medicine. He's such a little dog and I dont want to overload his system.
Thanks again, Have a great weekend,
Tina

I'm glad to hear that Poppi is improving. Yay!

Your question about Poppi's heartworm and flea medication is actually one that you will need to ask your vet about as I can't legally advise on medication online.

Ketoconazole is not supposed to be used with Ivermectin as it can increase the chances of Ivermectin toxicity. Heartgard contains ivermectin. However, it contains a very tiny dosage of it and I think that the chances of developing a toxicty would be extremely small.

The general consensus among vets is that this risk is only a problem for dogs who are on daily doses of ivermectin such as for treatment of demodectic mange. A single monthly minisucle dose such as what we see in Heartgard is very unlikely to cause a problem.

Ketoconazole should be safe with spinosad, the ingredient in Comfortis.

I think you should be fine, but I would highly suggest that you get your vet's opinion in Poppi's case.

Thanks Dr. Marie, I'll do that.
Now I's so glad I asked instead of giving it to him.

Sincerely, Tina

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17850 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (39575 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43742 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8768 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9770 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8312 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (21221 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13110 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (8093 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10756 views)