Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis.

Breed: Papillon
Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on the safety of the antu-fungal Ketoconazole, and your answer was spot-on. He's doing very well and seems back to his old self although he still has 2 more weeks of treatments (and prescription baths every 3 days) to go.
My new question is, its time for my dogs monthly Comfortis / Heartguard treatment, and I want to make sure its safe to give him these while on his other medicine. He's such a little dog and I dont want to overload his system.
Thanks again, Have a great weekend,
Tina

I'm glad to hear that Poppi is improving. Yay!

Your question about Poppi's heartworm and flea medication is actually one that you will need to ask your vet about as I can't legally advise on medication online.

Ketoconazole is not supposed to be used with Ivermectin as it can increase the chances of Ivermectin toxicity. Heartgard contains ivermectin. However, it contains a very tiny dosage of it and I think that the chances of developing a toxicty would be extremely small.

The general consensus among vets is that this risk is only a problem for dogs who are on daily doses of ivermectin such as for treatment of demodectic mange. A single monthly minisucle dose such as what we see in Heartgard is very unlikely to cause a problem.

Ketoconazole should be safe with spinosad, the ingredient in Comfortis.

I think you should be fine, but I would highly suggest that you get your vet's opinion in Poppi's case.

Thanks Dr. Marie, I'll do that.
Now I's so glad I asked instead of giving it to him.

Sincerely, Tina

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8986 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6233 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21446 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9113 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (19061 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7870 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8203 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (8099 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (5016 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12454 views)