Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis.

Breed: Papillon
Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on the safety of the antu-fungal Ketoconazole, and your answer was spot-on. He's doing very well and seems back to his old self although he still has 2 more weeks of treatments (and prescription baths every 3 days) to go.
My new question is, its time for my dogs monthly Comfortis / Heartguard treatment, and I want to make sure its safe to give him these while on his other medicine. He's such a little dog and I dont want to overload his system.
Thanks again, Have a great weekend,
Tina

I'm glad to hear that Poppi is improving. Yay!

Your question about Poppi's heartworm and flea medication is actually one that you will need to ask your vet about as I can't legally advise on medication online.

Ketoconazole is not supposed to be used with Ivermectin as it can increase the chances of Ivermectin toxicity. Heartgard contains ivermectin. However, it contains a very tiny dosage of it and I think that the chances of developing a toxicty would be extremely small.

The general consensus among vets is that this risk is only a problem for dogs who are on daily doses of ivermectin such as for treatment of demodectic mange. A single monthly minisucle dose such as what we see in Heartgard is very unlikely to cause a problem.

Ketoconazole should be safe with spinosad, the ingredient in Comfortis.

I think you should be fine, but I would highly suggest that you get your vet's opinion in Poppi's case.

Thanks Dr. Marie, I'll do that.
Now I's so glad I asked instead of giving it to him.

Sincerely, Tina

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (12396 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (10087 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (8764 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (27841 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (12398 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (76187 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (9617 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11836 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (13680 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (24093 views)