Shedding because of diet?

Breed: Chocolat point siame
My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is lacking something in his diet or something else?

Thank You,
Lisa Young

Hi Lisa. For many cats, shedding is completely normal. Some cats will shed more than others.

Is Speed on a good quality cat food? I have noticed a great difference in coat quality when a cat is on a poor food as compared to a good one. So, how do you know if your cat is on a good food? For most foods, you get what you pay for. So, if he is being fed a really inexpensive food then you may see an increase in coat quality if you upgrade to something better. (Additionally, inexpensive cat foods can predispose a cat to serious urinary tract problems that can be very expensive to treat and even life threatening.)

Some cats with increased shedding can benefit from an omega fatty acid supplement that you add to the food each day. In our office we sell a liquid in a pump that you can squirt on the food each day. The fatty acids will really help with the coat quality.

Sometimes if a cat suddenly has more shedding than usual it can be a sign that he is fighting an illness of some sort so a vet visit would be a good idea.

Another thing you can look in to is a product called a furminator. These brushes are expensive but are amazing at removing the undercoat of a shedding animal.

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (22459 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5710 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (15522 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11607 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (19364 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7213 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6296 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8088 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4668 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (3972 views)