Shedding because of diet?

Breed: Chocolat point siame
My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is lacking something in his diet or something else?

Thank You,
Lisa Young

Hi Lisa. For many cats, shedding is completely normal. Some cats will shed more than others.

Is Speed on a good quality cat food? I have noticed a great difference in coat quality when a cat is on a poor food as compared to a good one. So, how do you know if your cat is on a good food? For most foods, you get what you pay for. So, if he is being fed a really inexpensive food then you may see an increase in coat quality if you upgrade to something better. (Additionally, inexpensive cat foods can predispose a cat to serious urinary tract problems that can be very expensive to treat and even life threatening.)

Some cats with increased shedding can benefit from an omega fatty acid supplement that you add to the food each day. In our office we sell a liquid in a pump that you can squirt on the food each day. The fatty acids will really help with the coat quality.

Sometimes if a cat suddenly has more shedding than usual it can be a sign that he is fighting an illness of some sort so a vet visit would be a good idea.

Another thing you can look in to is a product called a furminator. These brushes are expensive but are amazing at removing the undercoat of a shedding animal.

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (21337 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (17974 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (15562 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9257 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (6191 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (12107 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (12413 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19253 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7684 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (6983 views)