Shedding because of diet?

Breed: Chocolat point siame
My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is lacking something in his diet or something else?

Thank You,
Lisa Young

Hi Lisa. For many cats, shedding is completely normal. Some cats will shed more than others.

Is Speed on a good quality cat food? I have noticed a great difference in coat quality when a cat is on a poor food as compared to a good one. So, how do you know if your cat is on a good food? For most foods, you get what you pay for. So, if he is being fed a really inexpensive food then you may see an increase in coat quality if you upgrade to something better. (Additionally, inexpensive cat foods can predispose a cat to serious urinary tract problems that can be very expensive to treat and even life threatening.)

Some cats with increased shedding can benefit from an omega fatty acid supplement that you add to the food each day. In our office we sell a liquid in a pump that you can squirt on the food each day. The fatty acids will really help with the coat quality.

Sometimes if a cat suddenly has more shedding than usual it can be a sign that he is fighting an illness of some sort so a vet visit would be a good idea.

Another thing you can look in to is a product called a furminator. These brushes are expensive but are amazing at removing the undercoat of a shedding animal.

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11310 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11278 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (14752 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7620 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6717 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11891 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4980 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21647 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16742 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10626 views)