Shedding because of diet?

Breed: Chocolat point siame
My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is lacking something in his diet or something else?

Thank You,
Lisa Young

Hi Lisa. For many cats, shedding is completely normal. Some cats will shed more than others.

Is Speed on a good quality cat food? I have noticed a great difference in coat quality when a cat is on a poor food as compared to a good one. So, how do you know if your cat is on a good food? For most foods, you get what you pay for. So, if he is being fed a really inexpensive food then you may see an increase in coat quality if you upgrade to something better. (Additionally, inexpensive cat foods can predispose a cat to serious urinary tract problems that can be very expensive to treat and even life threatening.)

Some cats with increased shedding can benefit from an omega fatty acid supplement that you add to the food each day. In our office we sell a liquid in a pump that you can squirt on the food each day. The fatty acids will really help with the coat quality.

Sometimes if a cat suddenly has more shedding than usual it can be a sign that he is fighting an illness of some sort so a vet visit would be a good idea.

Another thing you can look in to is a product called a furminator. These brushes are expensive but are amazing at removing the undercoat of a shedding animal.

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (25296 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11958 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8311 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (15166 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13284 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (12718 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8499 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (18714 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8199 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17790 views)