Bone cancer in leg.

Breed: domestic
Hello
My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat. The past year he was impacted with stool about 3 times. We took him to the vet they treated him and we gave him some fiber and he was good. He started to lose weight the last few months but was till doing fine.
Until last week I noticed him limping then all of a sudden his back right leg was dragging.
I took him to the vet they xray it and his knee is shattered. They suggested a surgeon could help. I went to another vet who is a surgeon and he said the only way the cats knee would do this is from cancer and he could see i guess cancer around the area. He suggested not to do testing etc etc.. he gave me a week supply of pain medicine and said to me it would be best to put him to sleep.. The last few days the cat is eating he is not moving around much but he is still moving and walking from room to room. We helped him in the liter box and we leave food near him. I just don't know what to do? Everyone thinks I should put him to sleep . But he is still totally with it and eating. I guess my question is how long can he last this way? Is it best to put him down because he might be suffering? I don't want to be selfish and keep him around but I just feel if he has more time why should i take that away...
As you can see I am torn about this and just trying to find an answer .. any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated
thanks
linda

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Begittsy. This is a very difficult situation.

If the surgeon feels that there is cancer in the leg then this really is likely an accurate diagnosis. There aren't many things that look like bone cancer on xrays.

Unfortunately, bone cancer is a very painful thing. Now, cats will do all they can to hide pain. You mentioned that Begittsy is not moving around much and that is usually a sign of pain in cats. Where dogs will still limp around when they have pain, cats will stay as still as possible and only move as necessary (usually in order to get food.)

I think the trial of pain medicine is a good idea. If he really really perks up on this medicine then I would say to talk to your vet about continuing to give it.

However, if you haven't seen much improvement then there are some hard decisions to be made.

Truly, the best thing to help you make those decisions is your vet. I know this is hard to hear, but if your vet has suggested that euthanasia is the best option, then they are likely right. The only reason for them to make that suggestion is in the interest of the cat.

With my own animals, when they have a condition that I know is eventually fatal, I always err on the side of euthanasia. Even if it means a week or more shorter life, I would rather that there is as little painful time as possible.

One other thought - if you are not willing to let go just yet would be to talk to your vet about doing an amputation. If there is no obvious spread of cancer to other parts of the body then this could be a cure. However, at 13 years of age it's hard to say how many years the poor little guy has left.

I hope this has somehow helped with your decision making. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (77880 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11884 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19629 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7904 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11705 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9768 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37902 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8944 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (13166 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (37129 views)