Dog ate maxi pad.

Breed: german shepherd
10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings) He has eaten feminine products before but smaller ones and pooped them out. I have not seen the maxi pad in his poop since he ate it. However I havnt seen all his poops. I am concerned that it could still be sitting in his stomach since they get so heavy when soaked. His eating is relatively normal (he's 125 pounds, but not overweight since hes very tall and long) Hes never been one to gobble down his meals so Im not sure if his appetite has been affected. He does seem less interested in eating. However he will eat when presented with tasty human food. his stools are large and solid. He has been eating more grass than usual. Could this maxi still be sitting in his stomach but not greatly affecting him?

It always amazes me that dogs will eat maxi pads, but I have seen this happen several times.

If he ate one of these and you haven't seen it then there are a few possibilities. Yes, it is possible that it is sitting in his stomach and absorbing water. If this is the case then it may eventually work its way into the intestines which could be good news or bad news. If it gets into the intestines it could just keep going and pass. But, if it gets lodged in the intestines then this is a serious matter.

If it is in the stomach and not moving into his intestines then it can actually stay there for some time without causing problems but really should be removed. He could possibly need surgery to get it removed, or he could possibly have it removed via an endoscope. I have seen dogs have objects similar to this (i.e. stuffed toys) in their stomach for months and months without any major problems. But the concern is that, as mentioned before, it can move into the intestines and if it gets stuck then it can be a life threatening situation.

It is also possible that he chewed it up into little pieces when he ate it and that the pieces are too small for you to see in his stool. Let's hope for that!

If you really feel that he did eat it whole and you haven't seen it come out then I would advise having your vet examine him and possibly taking an xray. Unfortunately though, in order to see the pad, the vet may need to do something called a barium xray in order to see it. This is an xray where they give him a liquid that turns up well on xrays and watch as it travels through his stomach. A pad would likely absorb some of the barium and if they take another xray a day later they can see that there is still some barium in the stomach.

I hope it emerges soon!

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4725 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (7976 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (9999 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (15001 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (12802 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (9802 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17289 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (24957 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4153 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (44370 views)