Dog ate maxi pad.

Breed: german shepherd
10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings) He has eaten feminine products before but smaller ones and pooped them out. I have not seen the maxi pad in his poop since he ate it. However I havnt seen all his poops. I am concerned that it could still be sitting in his stomach since they get so heavy when soaked. His eating is relatively normal (he's 125 pounds, but not overweight since hes very tall and long) Hes never been one to gobble down his meals so Im not sure if his appetite has been affected. He does seem less interested in eating. However he will eat when presented with tasty human food. his stools are large and solid. He has been eating more grass than usual. Could this maxi still be sitting in his stomach but not greatly affecting him?

It always amazes me that dogs will eat maxi pads, but I have seen this happen several times.

If he ate one of these and you haven't seen it then there are a few possibilities. Yes, it is possible that it is sitting in his stomach and absorbing water. If this is the case then it may eventually work its way into the intestines which could be good news or bad news. If it gets into the intestines it could just keep going and pass. But, if it gets lodged in the intestines then this is a serious matter.

If it is in the stomach and not moving into his intestines then it can actually stay there for some time without causing problems but really should be removed. He could possibly need surgery to get it removed, or he could possibly have it removed via an endoscope. I have seen dogs have objects similar to this (i.e. stuffed toys) in their stomach for months and months without any major problems. But the concern is that, as mentioned before, it can move into the intestines and if it gets stuck then it can be a life threatening situation.

It is also possible that he chewed it up into little pieces when he ate it and that the pieces are too small for you to see in his stool. Let's hope for that!

If you really feel that he did eat it whole and you haven't seen it come out then I would advise having your vet examine him and possibly taking an xray. Unfortunately though, in order to see the pad, the vet may need to do something called a barium xray in order to see it. This is an xray where they give him a liquid that turns up well on xrays and watch as it travels through his stomach. A pad would likely absorb some of the barium and if they take another xray a day later they can see that there is still some barium in the stomach.

I hope it emerges soon!

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (34190 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (10257 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (179169 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (8840 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (12295 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (9986 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (5846 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (10354 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (35960 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (7229 views)