Dog ate maxi pad.

Breed: german shepherd
10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings) He has eaten feminine products before but smaller ones and pooped them out. I have not seen the maxi pad in his poop since he ate it. However I havnt seen all his poops. I am concerned that it could still be sitting in his stomach since they get so heavy when soaked. His eating is relatively normal (he's 125 pounds, but not overweight since hes very tall and long) Hes never been one to gobble down his meals so Im not sure if his appetite has been affected. He does seem less interested in eating. However he will eat when presented with tasty human food. his stools are large and solid. He has been eating more grass than usual. Could this maxi still be sitting in his stomach but not greatly affecting him?

It always amazes me that dogs will eat maxi pads, but I have seen this happen several times.

If he ate one of these and you haven't seen it then there are a few possibilities. Yes, it is possible that it is sitting in his stomach and absorbing water. If this is the case then it may eventually work its way into the intestines which could be good news or bad news. If it gets into the intestines it could just keep going and pass. But, if it gets lodged in the intestines then this is a serious matter.

If it is in the stomach and not moving into his intestines then it can actually stay there for some time without causing problems but really should be removed. He could possibly need surgery to get it removed, or he could possibly have it removed via an endoscope. I have seen dogs have objects similar to this (i.e. stuffed toys) in their stomach for months and months without any major problems. But the concern is that, as mentioned before, it can move into the intestines and if it gets stuck then it can be a life threatening situation.

It is also possible that he chewed it up into little pieces when he ate it and that the pieces are too small for you to see in his stool. Let's hope for that!

If you really feel that he did eat it whole and you haven't seen it come out then I would advise having your vet examine him and possibly taking an xray. Unfortunately though, in order to see the pad, the vet may need to do something called a barium xray in order to see it. This is an xray where they give him a liquid that turns up well on xrays and watch as it travels through his stomach. A pad would likely absorb some of the barium and if they take another xray a day later they can see that there is still some barium in the stomach.

I hope it emerges soon!

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (9884 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (5645 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (11780 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (8874 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (11286 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (4465 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (8467 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10082 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (30135 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (12625 views)