Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate maxi pad.

Species: Dog
Breed: german shepherd
Age: 2-5 years
10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings) He has eaten feminine products before but smaller ones and pooped them out. I have not seen the maxi pad in his poop since he ate it. However I havnt seen all his poops. I am concerned that it could still be sitting in his stomach since they get so heavy when soaked. His eating is relatively normal (he's 125 pounds, but not overweight since hes very tall and long) Hes never been one to gobble down his meals so Im not sure if his appetite has been affected. He does seem less interested in eating. However he will eat when presented with tasty human food. his stools are large and solid. He has been eating more grass than usual. Could this maxi still be sitting in his stomach but not greatly affecting him?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

It always amazes me that dogs will eat maxi pads, but I have seen this happen several times.

If he ate one of these and you haven't seen it then there are a few possibilities. Yes, it is possible that it is sitting in his stomach and absorbing water. If this is the case then it may eventually work its way into the intestines which could be good news or bad news. If it gets into the intestines it could just keep going and pass. But, if it gets lodged in the intestines then this is a serious matter.

If it is in the stomach and not moving into his intestines then it can actually stay there for some time without causing problems but really should be removed. He could possibly need surgery to get it removed, or he could possibly have it removed via an endoscope. I have seen dogs have objects similar to this (i.e. stuffed toys) in their stomach for months and months without any major problems. But the concern is that, as mentioned before, it can move into the intestines and if it gets stuck then it can be a life threatening situation.

It is also possible that he chewed it up into little pieces when he ate it and that the pieces are too small for you to see in his stool. Let's hope for that!

If you really feel that he did eat it whole and you haven't seen it come out then I would advise having your vet examine him and possibly taking an xray. Unfortunately though, in order to see the pad, the vet may need to do something called a barium xray in order to see it. This is an xray where they give him a liquid that turns up well on xrays and watch as it travels through his stomach. A pad would likely absorb some of the barium and if they take another xray a day later they can see that there is still some barium in the stomach.

I hope it emerges soon!

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (10278 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (38986 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (7592 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (13154 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21487 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (39291 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (8159 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17731 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6855 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (33814 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.