Dog ate maxi pad.

Breed: german shepherd
10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings) He has eaten feminine products before but smaller ones and pooped them out. I have not seen the maxi pad in his poop since he ate it. However I havnt seen all his poops. I am concerned that it could still be sitting in his stomach since they get so heavy when soaked. His eating is relatively normal (he's 125 pounds, but not overweight since hes very tall and long) Hes never been one to gobble down his meals so Im not sure if his appetite has been affected. He does seem less interested in eating. However he will eat when presented with tasty human food. his stools are large and solid. He has been eating more grass than usual. Could this maxi still be sitting in his stomach but not greatly affecting him?

It always amazes me that dogs will eat maxi pads, but I have seen this happen several times.

If he ate one of these and you haven't seen it then there are a few possibilities. Yes, it is possible that it is sitting in his stomach and absorbing water. If this is the case then it may eventually work its way into the intestines which could be good news or bad news. If it gets into the intestines it could just keep going and pass. But, if it gets lodged in the intestines then this is a serious matter.

If it is in the stomach and not moving into his intestines then it can actually stay there for some time without causing problems but really should be removed. He could possibly need surgery to get it removed, or he could possibly have it removed via an endoscope. I have seen dogs have objects similar to this (i.e. stuffed toys) in their stomach for months and months without any major problems. But the concern is that, as mentioned before, it can move into the intestines and if it gets stuck then it can be a life threatening situation.

It is also possible that he chewed it up into little pieces when he ate it and that the pieces are too small for you to see in his stool. Let's hope for that!

If you really feel that he did eat it whole and you haven't seen it come out then I would advise having your vet examine him and possibly taking an xray. Unfortunately though, in order to see the pad, the vet may need to do something called a barium xray in order to see it. This is an xray where they give him a liquid that turns up well on xrays and watch as it travels through his stomach. A pad would likely absorb some of the barium and if they take another xray a day later they can see that there is still some barium in the stomach.

I hope it emerges soon!

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (16848 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (12747 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (17163 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (6195 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (13121 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (7769 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (29146 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (13054 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (25182 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7621 views)