2 week old puppy won't nurse.

Breed: chihuahua
2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with milk replacement, and he is eating. but he is not as active,healthy looking as the others. what can we do???

Sorry to hear that this pup is possibly not doing well.

It is often hard to know why one pup is not doing as well as they should.

I would highly advise having your vet take a look at this pup to see if they can determine what is going on.

It's possible he has an infection somewhere and if that is the case then the vet can prescribe antibiotics in order to help.

Can you see if there is a large space on the roof of his mouth? If so, this is a cleft palate and it will interfere with his ability to take in food. It can sometimes be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that there is a congenital problem. In other words he may have been born with an internal defect of some sort. Unfortunately most of the time when this happens there is not much we can do.

And then there are some pups that are just slow starters.

Is he gaining weight? If he continues to gain weight then this is a good sign. But if not then I am more concerned.

I hope he is ok!

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (14575 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (23940 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (20831 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (19869 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (6888 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (27782 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (15196 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (8521 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (13422 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (7523 views)