2 week old puppy won't nurse.

Breed: chihuahua
2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with milk replacement, and he is eating. but he is not as active,healthy looking as the others. what can we do???

Sorry to hear that this pup is possibly not doing well.

It is often hard to know why one pup is not doing as well as they should.

I would highly advise having your vet take a look at this pup to see if they can determine what is going on.

It's possible he has an infection somewhere and if that is the case then the vet can prescribe antibiotics in order to help.

Can you see if there is a large space on the roof of his mouth? If so, this is a cleft palate and it will interfere with his ability to take in food. It can sometimes be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that there is a congenital problem. In other words he may have been born with an internal defect of some sort. Unfortunately most of the time when this happens there is not much we can do.

And then there are some pups that are just slow starters.

Is he gaining weight? If he continues to gain weight then this is a good sign. But if not then I am more concerned.

I hope he is ok!

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (11569 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (11631 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (11975 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (7404 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (11570 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (39861 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (6704 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (28550 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (18466 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (19137 views)