2 week old puppy won't nurse.

Breed: chihuahua
2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with milk replacement, and he is eating. but he is not as active,healthy looking as the others. what can we do???

Sorry to hear that this pup is possibly not doing well.

It is often hard to know why one pup is not doing as well as they should.

I would highly advise having your vet take a look at this pup to see if they can determine what is going on.

It's possible he has an infection somewhere and if that is the case then the vet can prescribe antibiotics in order to help.

Can you see if there is a large space on the roof of his mouth? If so, this is a cleft palate and it will interfere with his ability to take in food. It can sometimes be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that there is a congenital problem. In other words he may have been born with an internal defect of some sort. Unfortunately most of the time when this happens there is not much we can do.

And then there are some pups that are just slow starters.

Is he gaining weight? If he continues to gain weight then this is a good sign. But if not then I am more concerned.

I hope he is ok!

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (18831 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (13149 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (7850 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16357 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (28064 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (78992 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23748 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (11650 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11647 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15644 views)