2 week old puppy won't nurse.

Breed: chihuahua
2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with milk replacement, and he is eating. but he is not as active,healthy looking as the others. what can we do???

Sorry to hear that this pup is possibly not doing well.

It is often hard to know why one pup is not doing as well as they should.

I would highly advise having your vet take a look at this pup to see if they can determine what is going on.

It's possible he has an infection somewhere and if that is the case then the vet can prescribe antibiotics in order to help.

Can you see if there is a large space on the roof of his mouth? If so, this is a cleft palate and it will interfere with his ability to take in food. It can sometimes be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that there is a congenital problem. In other words he may have been born with an internal defect of some sort. Unfortunately most of the time when this happens there is not much we can do.

And then there are some pups that are just slow starters.

Is he gaining weight? If he continues to gain weight then this is a good sign. But if not then I am more concerned.

I hope he is ok!

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (16548 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (10446 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4782 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8786 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9565 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10680 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (41050 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16675 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (16002 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (16571 views)