Dog ate Zoloft.

Breed: lab
please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i left them on my counter far back but my cat has decided to knock them down chloe chewed right through the bottle and ate everyone of them,, they are called zoloft 100 mg pills there was about 30-40 pills in there! what do i do, is she going to be ok?

By now it is probably too late for my advice to help you. I recently had a baby and my free question section has suffered because of lack of time. But I thought I would answer this in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Zoloft, also called Sertraline, is a commonly prescribed drug for depression in people.

An overdose of Zoloft in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increase in salivation and lethargy. If a dog eats too much Zoloft then they can get more serious symptoms such as muscle tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, more vocalizing, high or low blood pressure, seizures, coma and yes, it can be fatal as well. These more serious symptoms can be caused by something called serotonin syndrome.

We generally get worried if a dog has eaten more than 20mg per kg of Zoloft.

So, if you had a lab, let's say she weighed 60lbs. This is the equivalent to 27kg. So, a toxic dose would potentially be anything over 27*20mg which is 545 mg. So, if your dog ate more than 5 of these 100mg pills then I would be very worried.

For people reading this in the future, if you are not sure if your dog has eaten your Zoloft, or if you think that he or she may have eaten more than 20mg/kg then it is important to see your veterinarian right away.

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (11397 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (8201 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (13743 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (4328 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (8023 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (7009 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (5574 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (19791 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (3641 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (17895 views)