Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate Zoloft.

Species: Dog
Breed: lab
Age: 1-2 years
please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i left them on my counter far back but my cat has decided to knock them down chloe chewed right through the bottle and ate everyone of them,, they are called zoloft 100 mg pills there was about 30-40 pills in there! what do i do, is she going to be ok?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

By now it is probably too late for my advice to help you. I recently had a baby and my free question section has suffered because of lack of time. But I thought I would answer this in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Zoloft, also called Sertraline, is a commonly prescribed drug for depression in people.

An overdose of Zoloft in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increase in salivation and lethargy. If a dog eats too much Zoloft then they can get more serious symptoms such as muscle tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, more vocalizing, high or low blood pressure, seizures, coma and yes, it can be fatal as well. These more serious symptoms can be caused by something called serotonin syndrome.

We generally get worried if a dog has eaten more than 20mg per kg of Zoloft.

So, if you had a lab, let's say she weighed 60lbs. This is the equivalent to 27kg. So, a toxic dose would potentially be anything over 27*20mg which is 545 mg. So, if your dog ate more than 5 of these 100mg pills then I would be very worried.

For people reading this in the future, if you are not sure if your dog has eaten your Zoloft, or if you think that he or she may have eaten more than 20mg/kg then it is important to see your veterinarian right away.



---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5188 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20859 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (21265 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5589 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (11440 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6151 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23617 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (61894 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (33640 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17267 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.