Dog ate Zoloft.

Breed: lab
please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i left them on my counter far back but my cat has decided to knock them down chloe chewed right through the bottle and ate everyone of them,, they are called zoloft 100 mg pills there was about 30-40 pills in there! what do i do, is she going to be ok?

By now it is probably too late for my advice to help you. I recently had a baby and my free question section has suffered because of lack of time. But I thought I would answer this in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Zoloft, also called Sertraline, is a commonly prescribed drug for depression in people.

An overdose of Zoloft in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increase in salivation and lethargy. If a dog eats too much Zoloft then they can get more serious symptoms such as muscle tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, more vocalizing, high or low blood pressure, seizures, coma and yes, it can be fatal as well. These more serious symptoms can be caused by something called serotonin syndrome.

We generally get worried if a dog has eaten more than 20mg per kg of Zoloft.

So, if you had a lab, let's say she weighed 60lbs. This is the equivalent to 27kg. So, a toxic dose would potentially be anything over 27*20mg which is 545 mg. So, if your dog ate more than 5 of these 100mg pills then I would be very worried.

For people reading this in the future, if you are not sure if your dog has eaten your Zoloft, or if you think that he or she may have eaten more than 20mg/kg then it is important to see your veterinarian right away.

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (14187 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (10644 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (8895 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (30510 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (10923 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (24053 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (7413 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (17121 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (12483 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (8071 views)