Dog ate Zoloft.

Breed: lab
please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i left them on my counter far back but my cat has decided to knock them down chloe chewed right through the bottle and ate everyone of them,, they are called zoloft 100 mg pills there was about 30-40 pills in there! what do i do, is she going to be ok?

By now it is probably too late for my advice to help you. I recently had a baby and my free question section has suffered because of lack of time. But I thought I would answer this in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Zoloft, also called Sertraline, is a commonly prescribed drug for depression in people.

An overdose of Zoloft in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increase in salivation and lethargy. If a dog eats too much Zoloft then they can get more serious symptoms such as muscle tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, more vocalizing, high or low blood pressure, seizures, coma and yes, it can be fatal as well. These more serious symptoms can be caused by something called serotonin syndrome.

We generally get worried if a dog has eaten more than 20mg per kg of Zoloft.

So, if you had a lab, let's say she weighed 60lbs. This is the equivalent to 27kg. So, a toxic dose would potentially be anything over 27*20mg which is 545 mg. So, if your dog ate more than 5 of these 100mg pills then I would be very worried.

For people reading this in the future, if you are not sure if your dog has eaten your Zoloft, or if you think that he or she may have eaten more than 20mg/kg then it is important to see your veterinarian right away.

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (26110 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (11623 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (31773 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (9573 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (19357 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (7786 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (25206 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13992 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (8945 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (10226 views)