Dog ate Zoloft.

Breed: lab
please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i left them on my counter far back but my cat has decided to knock them down chloe chewed right through the bottle and ate everyone of them,, they are called zoloft 100 mg pills there was about 30-40 pills in there! what do i do, is she going to be ok?

By now it is probably too late for my advice to help you. I recently had a baby and my free question section has suffered because of lack of time. But I thought I would answer this in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Zoloft, also called Sertraline, is a commonly prescribed drug for depression in people.

An overdose of Zoloft in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increase in salivation and lethargy. If a dog eats too much Zoloft then they can get more serious symptoms such as muscle tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, more vocalizing, high or low blood pressure, seizures, coma and yes, it can be fatal as well. These more serious symptoms can be caused by something called serotonin syndrome.

We generally get worried if a dog has eaten more than 20mg per kg of Zoloft.

So, if you had a lab, let's say she weighed 60lbs. This is the equivalent to 27kg. So, a toxic dose would potentially be anything over 27*20mg which is 545 mg. So, if your dog ate more than 5 of these 100mg pills then I would be very worried.

For people reading this in the future, if you are not sure if your dog has eaten your Zoloft, or if you think that he or she may have eaten more than 20mg/kg then it is important to see your veterinarian right away.

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (36388 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (39538 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (10242 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5152 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (29643 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (17490 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (4698 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (10269 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (19134 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (23851 views)