Dog ate Zoloft.

Breed: lab
please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i left them on my counter far back but my cat has decided to knock them down chloe chewed right through the bottle and ate everyone of them,, they are called zoloft 100 mg pills there was about 30-40 pills in there! what do i do, is she going to be ok?

By now it is probably too late for my advice to help you. I recently had a baby and my free question section has suffered because of lack of time. But I thought I would answer this in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Zoloft, also called Sertraline, is a commonly prescribed drug for depression in people.

An overdose of Zoloft in dogs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increase in salivation and lethargy. If a dog eats too much Zoloft then they can get more serious symptoms such as muscle tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, more vocalizing, high or low blood pressure, seizures, coma and yes, it can be fatal as well. These more serious symptoms can be caused by something called serotonin syndrome.

We generally get worried if a dog has eaten more than 20mg per kg of Zoloft.

So, if you had a lab, let's say she weighed 60lbs. This is the equivalent to 27kg. So, a toxic dose would potentially be anything over 27*20mg which is 545 mg. So, if your dog ate more than 5 of these 100mg pills then I would be very worried.

For people reading this in the future, if you are not sure if your dog has eaten your Zoloft, or if you think that he or she may have eaten more than 20mg/kg then it is important to see your veterinarian right away.

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (25354 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (4874 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (16000 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (9951 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (14909 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (11591 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (8430 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9167 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11611 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (19807 views)