Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (28193 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12738 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (19324 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27359 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10817 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (12680 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7837 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (12121 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (7222 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (14722 views)