Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (13602 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (10703 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (13379 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (10772 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (5135 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (9099 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7518 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8308 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6385 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6639 views)