Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (15491 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (9725 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (33320 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (39033 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (21275 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (8133 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (8472 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (20873 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (78875 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (11085 views)