Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (20534 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (7653 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (8847 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14408 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4454 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6088 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (10464 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (11290 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (10761 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (3924 views)