Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5877 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7069 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (5032 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21567 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8807 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10710 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (31083 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12146 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (27044 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (34587 views)