Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5829 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (6780 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (38292 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4815 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12258 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (97632 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4350 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8020 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10281 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12101 views)