Why do dogs eat grass?

Breed: chihuahua
I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has been gettng me up all hours of the night wanting to eat grass. I avoid any lawns that have the pesticide signs on them but I'm wondering if it's possible that he is still getting some on his feet and licking it and getting an upset stomach so he's eating grass? What do you think? Can this be slowly be killing him should I have bloodwork done to check his liver and kidney values?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes we don't know why dogs eat grass. Some dogs just eat grass because they like it! However, some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. My personal feeling is that they somehow know that it will make them vomit and then they may feel better afterwards.

If your dog is having a strong urge to go out and eat grass in the middle of the night then I would suspect that there is an issue with nausea. If he is otherwise bright and alert and he is eating ok it is likely nothing serious.

The most common reason for a dog to feel nauseous is if he has eaten an unusual treat or had some new food.

If this is happening regularly though, or if he seems like he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then a vet visit is a good idea.

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (88907 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (11671 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (5828 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8566 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (29398 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (8555 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (18548 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9809 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12369 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (10375 views)