Bleeding anal glands.

Breed: chocolate lab
My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal glands twice in the last three weeks and both times they were full of blood. There was no puss or brown material it was all red blood. She told me she has never seen anything like it before. He is still eating and having normal bowel movements. He has been on antibiotics for a few weeks now and they seem to not have any effect. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have seen a couple of anal sac abscesses that looked like pure blood coming from the anal glands.

However, though, your situation reminds me of one case I had where the supposedly infected gland was just pouring blood. It turned out that this dog had a tumor in its anal gland.

If things are not improving your vet may recommend doing a biopsy of the gland.

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8985 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (13238 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (76173 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (94007 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (10699 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (11588 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (9053 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (7160 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (37593 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (21856 views)