Bleeding anal glands.

Breed: chocolate lab
My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal glands twice in the last three weeks and both times they were full of blood. There was no puss or brown material it was all red blood. She told me she has never seen anything like it before. He is still eating and having normal bowel movements. He has been on antibiotics for a few weeks now and they seem to not have any effect. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have seen a couple of anal sac abscesses that looked like pure blood coming from the anal glands.

However, though, your situation reminds me of one case I had where the supposedly infected gland was just pouring blood. It turned out that this dog had a tumor in its anal gland.

If things are not improving your vet may recommend doing a biopsy of the gland.

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (8133 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (11618 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (10918 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5936 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (8706 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (96732 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (10224 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (13808 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (18789 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (8710 views)