Bleeding anal glands.

Breed: chocolate lab
My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal glands twice in the last three weeks and both times they were full of blood. There was no puss or brown material it was all red blood. She told me she has never seen anything like it before. He is still eating and having normal bowel movements. He has been on antibiotics for a few weeks now and they seem to not have any effect. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have seen a couple of anal sac abscesses that looked like pure blood coming from the anal glands.

However, though, your situation reminds me of one case I had where the supposedly infected gland was just pouring blood. It turned out that this dog had a tumor in its anal gland.

If things are not improving your vet may recommend doing a biopsy of the gland.

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17403 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8204 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (79901 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5505 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (21165 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11090 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9654 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (27970 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5764 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (20459 views)