Bleeding anal glands.

Breed: chocolate lab
My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal glands twice in the last three weeks and both times they were full of blood. There was no puss or brown material it was all red blood. She told me she has never seen anything like it before. He is still eating and having normal bowel movements. He has been on antibiotics for a few weeks now and they seem to not have any effect. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have seen a couple of anal sac abscesses that looked like pure blood coming from the anal glands.

However, though, your situation reminds me of one case I had where the supposedly infected gland was just pouring blood. It turned out that this dog had a tumor in its anal gland.

If things are not improving your vet may recommend doing a biopsy of the gland.

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (68261 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (11033 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (14567 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (21784 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19195 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7911 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7368 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9423 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (11593 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8537 views)