Bleeding anal glands.

Breed: chocolate lab
My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal glands twice in the last three weeks and both times they were full of blood. There was no puss or brown material it was all red blood. She told me she has never seen anything like it before. He is still eating and having normal bowel movements. He has been on antibiotics for a few weeks now and they seem to not have any effect. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have seen a couple of anal sac abscesses that looked like pure blood coming from the anal glands.

However, though, your situation reminds me of one case I had where the supposedly infected gland was just pouring blood. It turned out that this dog had a tumor in its anal gland.

If things are not improving your vet may recommend doing a biopsy of the gland.

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (10615 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (9396 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (40809 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (11443 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (8698 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (14405 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (101509 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (9298 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (8137 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (16198 views)