Bleeding anal glands.

Breed: chocolate lab
My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal glands twice in the last three weeks and both times they were full of blood. There was no puss or brown material it was all red blood. She told me she has never seen anything like it before. He is still eating and having normal bowel movements. He has been on antibiotics for a few weeks now and they seem to not have any effect. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have seen a couple of anal sac abscesses that looked like pure blood coming from the anal glands.

However, though, your situation reminds me of one case I had where the supposedly infected gland was just pouring blood. It turned out that this dog had a tumor in its anal gland.

If things are not improving your vet may recommend doing a biopsy of the gland.

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (11787 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (25474 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (7362 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (12243 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (13936 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (29475 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (30054 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (33406 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (9139 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (69454 views)