Male dog lost weight when female in heat.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because he is so focused on her that he can't function LOL. Anyways, he usually puts the weight right back on afterwards. This time he hasn't, and now in the last day or two he has taken to licking himself (tummy, paws ,etc..) all the time, and tonight he was playing Hoover vacuum and licking up all the loose hair on the floor. It caused him to vomit up a big hairball.... What could be going on and what can I do about it?

Hmmm...interesting question.

It is definitely common for an unneutered male to lose weight when there is a female in heat nearby. This is one of the reasons why I recommend neutering males - because it is so frustrating for them to have the desire to breed and then not be able to go through with the act. The frustration is so stressful that many dogs don't eat.

It's really hard to say why he has not gained his weight back though. Sometimes when a dog is trying to eat everything in sight it can be because of nausea. My theory is that they seem to know that if they fill their stomach up then they will be able to vomit and then somehow feel better.

There are lots of possible reasons for nausea including ingestion of something that has irritated the intestinal tract, a foreign object in the intestines or stomach, an infection, a problem with the liver or kidneys or more.

While parasites are possible, most dogs don't lose weight with parasites unless they are severely infested.

If this were my case I would be doing a good physical exam and likely do some bloodwork as well as a fecal exam for parasites.

If he does not start to gain weight soon, I think a vet visit is definitely in order.

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8998 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (22277 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (17097 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (118669 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11936 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10766 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (7913 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (26013 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (11041 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (7098 views)