Male dog lost weight when female in heat.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because he is so focused on her that he can't function LOL. Anyways, he usually puts the weight right back on afterwards. This time he hasn't, and now in the last day or two he has taken to licking himself (tummy, paws ,etc..) all the time, and tonight he was playing Hoover vacuum and licking up all the loose hair on the floor. It caused him to vomit up a big hairball.... What could be going on and what can I do about it?

Hmmm...interesting question.

It is definitely common for an unneutered male to lose weight when there is a female in heat nearby. This is one of the reasons why I recommend neutering males - because it is so frustrating for them to have the desire to breed and then not be able to go through with the act. The frustration is so stressful that many dogs don't eat.

It's really hard to say why he has not gained his weight back though. Sometimes when a dog is trying to eat everything in sight it can be because of nausea. My theory is that they seem to know that if they fill their stomach up then they will be able to vomit and then somehow feel better.

There are lots of possible reasons for nausea including ingestion of something that has irritated the intestinal tract, a foreign object in the intestines or stomach, an infection, a problem with the liver or kidneys or more.

While parasites are possible, most dogs don't lose weight with parasites unless they are severely infested.

If this were my case I would be doing a good physical exam and likely do some bloodwork as well as a fecal exam for parasites.

If he does not start to gain weight soon, I think a vet visit is definitely in order.

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7224 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30648 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12329 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6511 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26577 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (12315 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (14955 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13258 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6333 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8758 views)