Male dog lost weight when female in heat.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because he is so focused on her that he can't function LOL. Anyways, he usually puts the weight right back on afterwards. This time he hasn't, and now in the last day or two he has taken to licking himself (tummy, paws ,etc..) all the time, and tonight he was playing Hoover vacuum and licking up all the loose hair on the floor. It caused him to vomit up a big hairball.... What could be going on and what can I do about it?

Hmmm...interesting question.

It is definitely common for an unneutered male to lose weight when there is a female in heat nearby. This is one of the reasons why I recommend neutering males - because it is so frustrating for them to have the desire to breed and then not be able to go through with the act. The frustration is so stressful that many dogs don't eat.

It's really hard to say why he has not gained his weight back though. Sometimes when a dog is trying to eat everything in sight it can be because of nausea. My theory is that they seem to know that if they fill their stomach up then they will be able to vomit and then somehow feel better.

There are lots of possible reasons for nausea including ingestion of something that has irritated the intestinal tract, a foreign object in the intestines or stomach, an infection, a problem with the liver or kidneys or more.

While parasites are possible, most dogs don't lose weight with parasites unless they are severely infested.

If this were my case I would be doing a good physical exam and likely do some bloodwork as well as a fecal exam for parasites.

If he does not start to gain weight soon, I think a vet visit is definitely in order.

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12217 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8964 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (44677 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7457 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15629 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (40410 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (92636 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20783 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (19594 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6259 views)