Male dog lost weight when female in heat.

Breed: American Bulldog
My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because he is so focused on her that he can't function LOL. Anyways, he usually puts the weight right back on afterwards. This time he hasn't, and now in the last day or two he has taken to licking himself (tummy, paws ,etc..) all the time, and tonight he was playing Hoover vacuum and licking up all the loose hair on the floor. It caused him to vomit up a big hairball.... What could be going on and what can I do about it?

Hmmm...interesting question.

It is definitely common for an unneutered male to lose weight when there is a female in heat nearby. This is one of the reasons why I recommend neutering males - because it is so frustrating for them to have the desire to breed and then not be able to go through with the act. The frustration is so stressful that many dogs don't eat.

It's really hard to say why he has not gained his weight back though. Sometimes when a dog is trying to eat everything in sight it can be because of nausea. My theory is that they seem to know that if they fill their stomach up then they will be able to vomit and then somehow feel better.

There are lots of possible reasons for nausea including ingestion of something that has irritated the intestinal tract, a foreign object in the intestines or stomach, an infection, a problem with the liver or kidneys or more.

While parasites are possible, most dogs don't lose weight with parasites unless they are severely infested.

If this were my case I would be doing a good physical exam and likely do some bloodwork as well as a fecal exam for parasites.

If he does not start to gain weight soon, I think a vet visit is definitely in order.

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19148 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (26069 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25303 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (18679 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14142 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (28966 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9826 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13126 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (43819 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17650 views)