Kidney problems in ferret.

Breed: ferret
Hi there,

I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week, as started to change behaviour. He stopped playing and he became very sleepy and apathetic. I saw him vomiting like 3 days ago. He is also resting his head on the floor after one or two steps and taking a very strange body position, with the forehead on the ground, legs gathered together under his body and his back somehow upwards. Also a bad breath and body slow shivering (but not as seizure type. He refuses to eat anything and he has lost major body weight. Also, the feces are some dark colour and a little loose.

Vet told me he has renal failure, that his breath smells like urine and he made some injections with fluids, diuretics and steroids.

These are the blood test results:

Glucose 206 mg/dl
T-Cho 183 mg/dl
BUN 20 mg/dl
T-BIL 9.2 mg/dl
GOT 209 IU/L
GPT 149 IU/L
Creatinine 4.0 mg/dl

Do you know any specific disease that includes these abnormal values? Is there chance that he could make it? Any advice about what I should in the next days, apart from medication...such as diet and comfort at home?

Ferret is not a common pet in Romania and many vets have 0 experience. I am not 100% sure that the diagnosis is right 100%.

Please excuse my poor English and thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it!
Roxana

Hi Roxana and thanks for your question. First of all, your English is excellent, so no need to apologize!

It does indeed sound like Pif is very unwell. The biggest concern for me on his bloodwork is his creatinine level of 4. This tells us that there are serious problems with his kidneys. When an animal is having kidney problems, there will be toxins in the bloodstream and this can cause the breath to smell really bad.

Ferrets do indeed get renal failure. Often we don't know the cause. Sometimes we can trace it to ingesting something toxic such as grapes or certain types of plants (like some kinds of lillies).

If this is because of ingesting something toxic, there is a chance that he could possibly survive if he could be kept on intravenous fluids in the hospital. However, the creatinine level of 4 tells us that the chances of survival are unfortunately not good.

Ferrets are very well known for eating things they shouldn't. We often look for foreign bodies (intestinal obstructions) that can cause them to get very sick. However, usually if a ferret has an intestinal obstruction the vet can feel it by palpating his abdomen. While an intestinal obstruction can cause a mild elevation in creatinine it shouldn't cause it to be this high.

The other common diseases that ferrets get are insulinoma (a tumor on the pancreas) but this should cause a much lower glucose level, or adrenal gland disease (but the symptoms don't match).

Unfortunately it does sound like this may be chronic renal failure and you may not be able to save him. If your vet feels comfortable with administering intravenous fluids (as opposed to just under the skin) this is his best chance.

I really hope he starts to improve soon!

I really think the answer is more than enough for me to understand whatever I was concerned about. My vet only gave him subcut fluids, so tomorrow I will ask him to make intravenous too.

Ufff...well, nothing to say. I hope that he will improve, he means the world to me.

Thank you so much for your time. You've been very helpful to me!

best regards,

Roxana

You're very welcome! Hopefully your vet will be able to give him intravenous fluids. If he can't, he can also look into giving him intraosseous fluids. This is where the needle to administer the fluids is inserted right into the bone. It sounds painful, but ferrets tolerate it well.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (48662 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4844 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (11193 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32800 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8180 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (4511 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (16300 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (43799 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (7491 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9987 views)