Dog ate duck bones.

Breed: Labrador

Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch time from the table, I hesitated to take it away since she was really enjoying it. I saw her chew it rather than swallow the whole bone, but it was gone fairly quickly. She was fine then and seems to be happy and normal now. But from yesterday evening her stool became quite loose. Today it's the same story, her stool was ok at first and by the time she finished, it was runny. (sorry for the details). The colour is changed from normally dark brown to yellow. But there hasn't been/isn't blood. I am a bit worried now, is there anything blocking her bowels so she's not digesting the food properly (only guessing)? Please let me know if there is anything I can do to check whether she's ok. Or if this is the normal reaction, how long does it take to pass?

Thank you very much!

Lin

Sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well.

I don't think I have ever treated a dog who ingested duck bones. But, I have seen a lot of dogs who swallowed chicken bones. I am assuming that they are digested similarly, but can't say for certain. When a dog ingests chicken bones, they are usually able to digest them well and they usually get broken down in the stomach. There is always a slight risk of intestinal perforation but I can't say that I have ever seen this happen. I think that the risk of perforation or obstruction in your dog's case is probably quite small.

My guess is that this is some intestinal caused by eating something she is not used to. If this is the case then it may help to do the following:

-24 hours with no food (water is ok)
-then feed small meals of rice and either boiled chicken or boiled hamburger (with the fat drained off)

If things don't improve within 24 hours, or if she seems to be getting worse, then I would definitely see the vet. My biggest concern, if things are getting worse would be for pancreatitis.

I'm guessing though that things will improve soon.

Hi Dr.Marie,

Thank you for your answers.

After you replied, we were less concerned since Poppy was bright and eating-going to toilet regularly, although the consistency was still bad. Then we took her travel with us during the Christmas period, she accidentally had some cat food and some incense oil, which didn't help her tummy at all. So on Tuesday we took her to a vet, the vet said there is nothing to worry about, probably just a combination of things that went into her already sensitive tummy. She gave us the vet formula dry food and things have improved since then.

Now we are back home, and she seems to be back to normal completely. We are going to reintroduce her old food gradually and see how it goes, or we'll stay on the vet food until she's older.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Lin

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (11872 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (3534 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (19168 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (58100 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (12265 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (9934 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (18190 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (3758 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (5693 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (10678 views)