Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate duck bones.

Species: Dog
Breed: Labrador
Age: 3-6 months
Hi Dr. Marie,

Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch time from the table, I hesitated to take it away since she was really enjoying it. I saw her chew it rather than swallow the whole bone, but it was gone fairly quickly. She was fine then and seems to be happy and normal now. But from yesterday evening her stool became quite loose. Today it's the same story, her stool was ok at first and by the time she finished, it was runny. (sorry for the details). The colour is changed from normally dark brown to yellow. But there hasn't been/isn't blood. I am a bit worried now, is there anything blocking her bowels so she's not digesting the food properly (only guessing)? Please let me know if there is anything I can do to check whether she's ok. Or if this is the normal reaction, how long does it take to pass?

Thank you very much!

Lin


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well.

I don't think I have ever treated a dog who ingested duck bones. But, I have seen a lot of dogs who swallowed chicken bones. I am assuming that they are digested similarly, but can't say for certain. When a dog ingests chicken bones, they are usually able to digest them well and they usually get broken down in the stomach. There is always a slight risk of intestinal perforation but I can't say that I have ever seen this happen. I think that the risk of perforation or obstruction in your dog's case is probably quite small.

My guess is that this is some intestinal caused by eating something she is not used to. If this is the case then it may help to do the following:

-24 hours with no food (water is ok)
-then feed small meals of rice and either boiled chicken or boiled hamburger (with the fat drained off)

If things don't improve within 24 hours, or if she seems to be getting worse, then I would definitely see the vet. My biggest concern, if things are getting worse would be for pancreatitis.

I'm guessing though that things will improve soon.
Dr. Marie


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Hi Dr.Marie,

Thank you for your answers.

After you replied, we were less concerned since Poppy was bright and eating-going to toilet regularly, although the consistency was still bad. Then we took her travel with us during the Christmas period, she accidentally had some cat food and some incense oil, which didn't help her tummy at all. So on Tuesday we took her to a vet, the vet said there is nothing to worry about, probably just a combination of things that went into her already sensitive tummy. She gave us the vet formula dry food and things have improved since then.

Now we are back home, and she seems to be back to normal completely. We are going to reintroduce her old food gradually and see how it goes, or we'll stay on the vet food until she's older.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Lin


Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (9476 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18588 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (7633 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (11315 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (8891 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (10139 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (13242 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (102453 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (19713 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (30320 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.