Peach stone or pancreatitis?

Breed: westie
My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks later he started to bring up froth at night. On the third night there was blood in the froth so I took him to the vet where he was given Xrays, which showed no abnormality. However, a couple of days later he started to swell up and later died, despite being put on a drip. He had suffered with pancreatitis five years previously and this was a recurrence. My question is that, although there was no sign of the peach stone on the Xray, is it likely that it could have ruptured his internal organs in transit, causing the pancreatitis attack? He suffered so much and I can't bear to think that it was my negligence which caused my old friend to die so painfully. However, my husband said that he seemed tender in the abdomen region before he ate the stone and we had been warned that the pancreatitis could recur.
Many thanks for your help. I would be happy to pay for your advice, but I am afraid to use my credit card on line as there has been so much credit card fraud recently.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

I have seen cases where a peach pit did not turn up well on xrays. Situations like this are difficult. If there was a stone then sometimes we can see a pattern of gas that tells us there is some type of obstruction, but not always.

Sometimes, if we think there is a stone obstructing the intestines we can do something called a barium series where we give a dog a liquid called barium that turns up well on radiographs. However, a barium series is relatively expensive, so it is not something that would be done in every case.

With this being said, a peach pit in the intestines would not cause pancreatitis so most likely this was a separate problem. Sometimes we can blame pancreatitis on the dog eating something fatty, but often we don't know what the cause was. Many dogs with pancreatitis recover with the proper treatment but I have had some cases where it was severe enough that the dog died even with the best of treatment.

So sorry for your loss.

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (11382 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7001 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (17656 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6150 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (7772 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (12633 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7953 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8870 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13308 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (33593 views)