Peach stone or pancreatitis?

Breed: westie
My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks later he started to bring up froth at night. On the third night there was blood in the froth so I took him to the vet where he was given Xrays, which showed no abnormality. However, a couple of days later he started to swell up and later died, despite being put on a drip. He had suffered with pancreatitis five years previously and this was a recurrence. My question is that, although there was no sign of the peach stone on the Xray, is it likely that it could have ruptured his internal organs in transit, causing the pancreatitis attack? He suffered so much and I can't bear to think that it was my negligence which caused my old friend to die so painfully. However, my husband said that he seemed tender in the abdomen region before he ate the stone and we had been warned that the pancreatitis could recur.
Many thanks for your help. I would be happy to pay for your advice, but I am afraid to use my credit card on line as there has been so much credit card fraud recently.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

I have seen cases where a peach pit did not turn up well on xrays. Situations like this are difficult. If there was a stone then sometimes we can see a pattern of gas that tells us there is some type of obstruction, but not always.

Sometimes, if we think there is a stone obstructing the intestines we can do something called a barium series where we give a dog a liquid called barium that turns up well on radiographs. However, a barium series is relatively expensive, so it is not something that would be done in every case.

With this being said, a peach pit in the intestines would not cause pancreatitis so most likely this was a separate problem. Sometimes we can blame pancreatitis on the dog eating something fatty, but often we don't know what the cause was. Many dogs with pancreatitis recover with the proper treatment but I have had some cases where it was severe enough that the dog died even with the best of treatment.

So sorry for your loss.

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (4936 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26567 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9190 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5764 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (51373 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8278 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9281 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (11121 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9415 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9863 views)