Peach stone or pancreatitis?

Breed: westie
My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks later he started to bring up froth at night. On the third night there was blood in the froth so I took him to the vet where he was given Xrays, which showed no abnormality. However, a couple of days later he started to swell up and later died, despite being put on a drip. He had suffered with pancreatitis five years previously and this was a recurrence. My question is that, although there was no sign of the peach stone on the Xray, is it likely that it could have ruptured his internal organs in transit, causing the pancreatitis attack? He suffered so much and I can't bear to think that it was my negligence which caused my old friend to die so painfully. However, my husband said that he seemed tender in the abdomen region before he ate the stone and we had been warned that the pancreatitis could recur.
Many thanks for your help. I would be happy to pay for your advice, but I am afraid to use my credit card on line as there has been so much credit card fraud recently.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

I have seen cases where a peach pit did not turn up well on xrays. Situations like this are difficult. If there was a stone then sometimes we can see a pattern of gas that tells us there is some type of obstruction, but not always.

Sometimes, if we think there is a stone obstructing the intestines we can do something called a barium series where we give a dog a liquid called barium that turns up well on radiographs. However, a barium series is relatively expensive, so it is not something that would be done in every case.

With this being said, a peach pit in the intestines would not cause pancreatitis so most likely this was a separate problem. Sometimes we can blame pancreatitis on the dog eating something fatty, but often we don't know what the cause was. Many dogs with pancreatitis recover with the proper treatment but I have had some cases where it was severe enough that the dog died even with the best of treatment.

So sorry for your loss.

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (8746 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (15115 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (45996 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (6889 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (6958 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (16329 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9998 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (7379 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (129557 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (7355 views)