Bloated abdomen in hamster.

Breed: Hamster
Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a half, and we got him from a friend who had him for a year. I noticed this approx a week ago. He was still eating,so I thought maybe he was constipated and gave him some apple. I didnt notice a change in his condition. I then thought that maybe he was dying as he is getting elderly for a rodent. Tonight, I noticed a lot of stool caked around his anus. I used a warm paper towel to remove most of it and then put him in a warm sitz bath (sorry, I am an RN ;) ). It seemed to make him feel better, he was very calm in the warm water. I then wiped his rear end again with paper towels and cozied him back up in his cage...I guess what I am asking is...#1 could he just be dying and this is just part of the process or #2 could he have been severely constipated which led to his problems? Plus, what do you give a hamster with constipation and did I do the right thing giving him a sitz bath and cleansing? thanks...this is my sons "baby"...wanted to help him understand the dying process or constipation issue, whichever it may be...Thank you so much for any info!
Melissa

Thanks for an excellent question Melissa.

As you likely know, any hamster older than 18 months is considered very old. What this means is that there is a high chance that what is happening with Buddy is very serious.

There are a few possible reasons for a hamster to have a bloated belly. Unfortunately they are all quite serious.

One possibility is a tumor in his abdomen. The bloating could be from the tumor, or it could be from a cancerous tumor that is producing fluid.

Another possibility is if the little guy is heading into heart failure. Heart failure can cause fluid to build up in the abdomen.

Another possibility is if he has a cyst in his liver or bile duct. Unfortunately there is not much we can do if this is the case.

Some hamsters can have a bloated abdomen because of cushing's disease. This really is not common and I really don't think this is what is going on with Buddy.

It is not likely that he is bloated because of constipation. However, if you feel the sitz baths are helping then there is no harm in doing this.

If you are able to have a vet look at him they may be able to put a small needle into his belly and see if they can drain any fluid off. Whether there is fluid from a tumor or from heart failure, he may feel a little better if he has the fluid drained.

I think though, ultimately it may be time to talk to your son about the fact that Buddy is likely dying.

I hope that info helps and I hope Buddy is ok!

Thank you so much for your fast response. I truly appreciate it! I guess little sweet buddy is extremely old in Hamster years!! 3 years old!! I am thinking that we will let nature take its course and just keep him comfortable. I also may call my local vet Monday morning. Thanks again! God Bless!
Melissa

You're very welcome and God bless you and Buddy too. Feel free to post a response on Monday if you have questions after your vet visit.

I sure will :)
Melissa

Just wanted to let you know that Buddy died sunday morning....it was for the best...thank you for your help and concern.
Melissa

Awww...I am so sorry to hear that. Please be sure to tell your son that he was a good hamster owner and that you guys did all you could. Not many hamsters live to be this old!

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (13405 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (14794 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (11468 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12037 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7786 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (12189 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (11070 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (13820 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (12407 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (26760 views)