Bleeding from penis won't stop.

Breed: british bulldog
I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to the doctor and found out he might have a nick somewhere on the inside of the tip of his penis, added to that, he got a tick bite somewhere else that lowered his platelette count and so the bleeding was taking forever to stop. After trying anything and everything…the doc recently castrated him…to prevent rushes of testosterone and blood ruching to his penis…which sprays out when he has an erection. They found some slush in his bladder which they said was cystitis from the tick bite…and it seems to have cleared out. During the surgery…they also inverted his penis and ut some sort of powder in there to speed up the healing. His platelettes are back up…but he still bleeds everytime he gets excited or sees someone new….also in the morning when he wakes up….its been one day since the castration…and about 7 days since the bleeding started. But nothing seems to work…Im not sure how a dog can cut himself in such a place….and am worried that there has been to much blood loss. Please help!

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. What a frustrating problem!

Because the penis has so many blood vessels it will bleed very easily if cut. I had a similar case that took about 10 days to stop bleeding, but in my case the dog did not have a platelet problem.

Likely, the bleeding will stop within the next few days.

If he allows it, you can try putting an ice pack on the area to help reduce any bleeding.

Does your vet have him on medications? He may benefit from Vitamin K which often can help with bleeding issues. Likely your vet also has him on doxycycline to help with any possible tick borne diseases such as ehrlichiosis that can lead to bleeding.

I know it's frustrating, but the bleeding will eventually stop and likely soon now that he is neutered and his platelets are up.

I hope things are better soon!

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17276 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (44319 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10320 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40322 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22170 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (22974 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9040 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (24157 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (11422 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11010 views)