Bleeding from penis won't stop.

Breed: british bulldog
I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to the doctor and found out he might have a nick somewhere on the inside of the tip of his penis, added to that, he got a tick bite somewhere else that lowered his platelette count and so the bleeding was taking forever to stop. After trying anything and everything…the doc recently castrated him…to prevent rushes of testosterone and blood ruching to his penis…which sprays out when he has an erection. They found some slush in his bladder which they said was cystitis from the tick bite…and it seems to have cleared out. During the surgery…they also inverted his penis and ut some sort of powder in there to speed up the healing. His platelettes are back up…but he still bleeds everytime he gets excited or sees someone new….also in the morning when he wakes up….its been one day since the castration…and about 7 days since the bleeding started. But nothing seems to work…Im not sure how a dog can cut himself in such a place….and am worried that there has been to much blood loss. Please help!

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. What a frustrating problem!

Because the penis has so many blood vessels it will bleed very easily if cut. I had a similar case that took about 10 days to stop bleeding, but in my case the dog did not have a platelet problem.

Likely, the bleeding will stop within the next few days.

If he allows it, you can try putting an ice pack on the area to help reduce any bleeding.

Does your vet have him on medications? He may benefit from Vitamin K which often can help with bleeding issues. Likely your vet also has him on doxycycline to help with any possible tick borne diseases such as ehrlichiosis that can lead to bleeding.

I know it's frustrating, but the bleeding will eventually stop and likely soon now that he is neutered and his platelets are up.

I hope things are better soon!

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (9077 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (10886 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7989 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (28042 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (14134 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10337 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (17772 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4667 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30238 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (73174 views)