Bleeding from penis won't stop.

Breed: british bulldog
I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to the doctor and found out he might have a nick somewhere on the inside of the tip of his penis, added to that, he got a tick bite somewhere else that lowered his platelette count and so the bleeding was taking forever to stop. After trying anything and everything…the doc recently castrated him…to prevent rushes of testosterone and blood ruching to his penis…which sprays out when he has an erection. They found some slush in his bladder which they said was cystitis from the tick bite…and it seems to have cleared out. During the surgery…they also inverted his penis and ut some sort of powder in there to speed up the healing. His platelettes are back up…but he still bleeds everytime he gets excited or sees someone new….also in the morning when he wakes up….its been one day since the castration…and about 7 days since the bleeding started. But nothing seems to work…Im not sure how a dog can cut himself in such a place….and am worried that there has been to much blood loss. Please help!

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. What a frustrating problem!

Because the penis has so many blood vessels it will bleed very easily if cut. I had a similar case that took about 10 days to stop bleeding, but in my case the dog did not have a platelet problem.

Likely, the bleeding will stop within the next few days.

If he allows it, you can try putting an ice pack on the area to help reduce any bleeding.

Does your vet have him on medications? He may benefit from Vitamin K which often can help with bleeding issues. Likely your vet also has him on doxycycline to help with any possible tick borne diseases such as ehrlichiosis that can lead to bleeding.

I know it's frustrating, but the bleeding will eventually stop and likely soon now that he is neutered and his platelets are up.

I hope things are better soon!

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8907 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9943 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13156 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13966 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12084 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (10980 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7866 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (11555 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15516 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (189827 views)