Bleeding from penis won't stop.

Breed: british bulldog
I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to the doctor and found out he might have a nick somewhere on the inside of the tip of his penis, added to that, he got a tick bite somewhere else that lowered his platelette count and so the bleeding was taking forever to stop. After trying anything and everything…the doc recently castrated him…to prevent rushes of testosterone and blood ruching to his penis…which sprays out when he has an erection. They found some slush in his bladder which they said was cystitis from the tick bite…and it seems to have cleared out. During the surgery…they also inverted his penis and ut some sort of powder in there to speed up the healing. His platelettes are back up…but he still bleeds everytime he gets excited or sees someone new….also in the morning when he wakes up….its been one day since the castration…and about 7 days since the bleeding started. But nothing seems to work…Im not sure how a dog can cut himself in such a place….and am worried that there has been to much blood loss. Please help!

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. What a frustrating problem!

Because the penis has so many blood vessels it will bleed very easily if cut. I had a similar case that took about 10 days to stop bleeding, but in my case the dog did not have a platelet problem.

Likely, the bleeding will stop within the next few days.

If he allows it, you can try putting an ice pack on the area to help reduce any bleeding.

Does your vet have him on medications? He may benefit from Vitamin K which often can help with bleeding issues. Likely your vet also has him on doxycycline to help with any possible tick borne diseases such as ehrlichiosis that can lead to bleeding.

I know it's frustrating, but the bleeding will eventually stop and likely soon now that he is neutered and his platelets are up.

I hope things are better soon!

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7909 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (14251 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (8648 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20069 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (10170 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (6558 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (10538 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (7141 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (31060 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (20561 views)