Bleeding from penis won't stop.

Breed: british bulldog
I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to the doctor and found out he might have a nick somewhere on the inside of the tip of his penis, added to that, he got a tick bite somewhere else that lowered his platelette count and so the bleeding was taking forever to stop. After trying anything and everything…the doc recently castrated him…to prevent rushes of testosterone and blood ruching to his penis…which sprays out when he has an erection. They found some slush in his bladder which they said was cystitis from the tick bite…and it seems to have cleared out. During the surgery…they also inverted his penis and ut some sort of powder in there to speed up the healing. His platelettes are back up…but he still bleeds everytime he gets excited or sees someone new….also in the morning when he wakes up….its been one day since the castration…and about 7 days since the bleeding started. But nothing seems to work…Im not sure how a dog can cut himself in such a place….and am worried that there has been to much blood loss. Please help!

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the right things. What a frustrating problem!

Because the penis has so many blood vessels it will bleed very easily if cut. I had a similar case that took about 10 days to stop bleeding, but in my case the dog did not have a platelet problem.

Likely, the bleeding will stop within the next few days.

If he allows it, you can try putting an ice pack on the area to help reduce any bleeding.

Does your vet have him on medications? He may benefit from Vitamin K which often can help with bleeding issues. Likely your vet also has him on doxycycline to help with any possible tick borne diseases such as ehrlichiosis that can lead to bleeding.

I know it's frustrating, but the bleeding will eventually stop and likely soon now that he is neutered and his platelets are up.

I hope things are better soon!

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32912 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17461 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (13443 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8607 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17830 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30837 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (11178 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (7441 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13760 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8244 views)