Rottweiler can't stand.

Breed: ROTT

We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. For the last 2 years we have given him about 2000mg of glucosemine/condroitin and, occassionally, an aspirin. Tonight, he can't seem stand, or rise on his own, on his back legs. The left one is the weaker one. We can stand him up, but, his back legs just weaken and then he's down. When I pick up his lower body, to help him up, he yelps sometimes. And, tonight, for the first time in 13 years, he growled and barked at me. He then licked my hand as if to say he was sorry. I'm assuming the pain is so great, he doesn't want me to touch him. I have read that mobic is good for pain as well as vicodin, demerol and dilaudid. So, which one will work the best or what would you recommend? And, what dosage? I am torn about having him euthanized as I just had to do that to my other dog on Monday, who was 12. I know it is selfish on my part, but, I want to do all I can to prolong his life.....without pain and suffering. His mind is sharp and as of yesterday, he still wanted me to throw his toy and he catch it in his mouth.
Please, I'm open to suggestions. I'm just so weary and don't know what to do. Thank you so much for your time.
Sincerely,
Lynda

I'm so sorry to hear that Diesel is having these problems. I have seen a number of Rotties who have serious mobility problems as they get older. 13 is very old for a rottweiler!

It does indeed sound like Diesel is in a lot of pain. Unfortunately you are unlikely to get good pain relief with an over the counter pain medication. The occasional aspirin can help with minor pain but if he is having trouble standing then he needs something stronger. Also, aspirin can cause stomach or kidney problems in some dogs.

If Diesel was my patient I would likely be prescribing an anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox and potentially adding a medication called Tramadol to help with pain.

Are you able to have your vet take a look at him? Your vet can help you to decide whether he is likely to respond to pain medication or if we are nearing the time to make a hard decision. I'm so sorry that you have just gone through this with your other dog. I often will see families that lose two pets in a short time and this is very difficult. In my own family we are likely going to have to put to sleep two of our elderly cats in the next couple of months.

I wish I could give you more specific advise on what you can do at home to help your poor boy, but unfortunately it sounds like he really needs to see the vet. Legally, I can't give dosing information or prescribe meds online, but even if I could, none of the ones you mentioned are ones that we commonly use in dogs. Stay away from the mobicox for sure as this is often very hard on a dog's kidneys.

When you do see your vet, they will be able to do some neurological tests to determine if there is damage to the spinal cord. If so, this can cause quite severe pain. Sometimes animals with spinal pain can be helped with steroids, but if it is really severe then it may be time to consider euthanasia.

I'm so sorry for the bad news.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I'm sure we will have to take him to the vet for meds. It's just so hard on him having to get into a vehicle, and, he weighs about 140 lbs. Thank you again and I'll keep you posted on his prognosis.

Many, many thanks,
Lynda

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20061 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8028 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (8894 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (11159 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (30895 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9291 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6530 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (6575 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (5838 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (23492 views)