Leaking anal glands.

Breed: mutt, we think chow
My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I feed her an expensive (call of the wild) non-grain dog food. What do I need to do?

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a few possible reasons for this to be happening. First of all, were the glands expressed by a vet or by someone else like a groomer? Sometimes, when non-veterinary staff do anal glands they do external expression as opposed to internal. What that means, is that the glands may not be fully emptied.

Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage.

There are other medical conditions such as perianal fistulas that can cause material to leak out of this area. But they are usually quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog.

If this is continuing, it does sound like you'll need to see a vet to figure it what is going on and what can be done for it. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics, or do something called an anal gland infusion.

I hope things are better soon!

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9510 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (93046 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7891 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (33496 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14301 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8055 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (7839 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13703 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (7567 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10542 views)