Leaking anal glands.

Breed: mutt, we think chow
My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I feed her an expensive (call of the wild) non-grain dog food. What do I need to do?

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a few possible reasons for this to be happening. First of all, were the glands expressed by a vet or by someone else like a groomer? Sometimes, when non-veterinary staff do anal glands they do external expression as opposed to internal. What that means, is that the glands may not be fully emptied.

Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage.

There are other medical conditions such as perianal fistulas that can cause material to leak out of this area. But they are usually quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog.

If this is continuing, it does sound like you'll need to see a vet to figure it what is going on and what can be done for it. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics, or do something called an anal gland infusion.

I hope things are better soon!

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (21310 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4700 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8963 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26851 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (33302 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (93974 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12027 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10302 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11014 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8569 views)