Leaking anal glands.

Breed: mutt, we think chow
My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I feed her an expensive (call of the wild) non-grain dog food. What do I need to do?

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a few possible reasons for this to be happening. First of all, were the glands expressed by a vet or by someone else like a groomer? Sometimes, when non-veterinary staff do anal glands they do external expression as opposed to internal. What that means, is that the glands may not be fully emptied.

Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage.

There are other medical conditions such as perianal fistulas that can cause material to leak out of this area. But they are usually quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog.

If this is continuing, it does sound like you'll need to see a vet to figure it what is going on and what can be done for it. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics, or do something called an anal gland infusion.

I hope things are better soon!

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (9419 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (15775 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (22497 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (73301 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (9394 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (49254 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (15053 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (15547 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (16309 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (11164 views)