Leaking anal glands.

Breed: mutt, we think chow
My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I feed her an expensive (call of the wild) non-grain dog food. What do I need to do?

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a few possible reasons for this to be happening. First of all, were the glands expressed by a vet or by someone else like a groomer? Sometimes, when non-veterinary staff do anal glands they do external expression as opposed to internal. What that means, is that the glands may not be fully emptied.

Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage.

There are other medical conditions such as perianal fistulas that can cause material to leak out of this area. But they are usually quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog.

If this is continuing, it does sound like you'll need to see a vet to figure it what is going on and what can be done for it. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics, or do something called an anal gland infusion.

I hope things are better soon!

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (6511 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (11467 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (21048 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (13361 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8016 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (13670 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (28997 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6527 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (10541 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (21719 views)