Leaking anal glands.

Breed: mutt, we think chow
My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I feed her an expensive (call of the wild) non-grain dog food. What do I need to do?

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a few possible reasons for this to be happening. First of all, were the glands expressed by a vet or by someone else like a groomer? Sometimes, when non-veterinary staff do anal glands they do external expression as opposed to internal. What that means, is that the glands may not be fully emptied.

Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage.

There are other medical conditions such as perianal fistulas that can cause material to leak out of this area. But they are usually quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog.

If this is continuing, it does sound like you'll need to see a vet to figure it what is going on and what can be done for it. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics, or do something called an anal gland infusion.

I hope things are better soon!

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (18934 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (61225 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (5099 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18450 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6488 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9920 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (45293 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (16030 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10842 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (33051 views)