Leaking anal glands.

Breed: mutt, we think chow
My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I feed her an expensive (call of the wild) non-grain dog food. What do I need to do?

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a few possible reasons for this to be happening. First of all, were the glands expressed by a vet or by someone else like a groomer? Sometimes, when non-veterinary staff do anal glands they do external expression as opposed to internal. What that means, is that the glands may not be fully emptied.

Another possibility is that there is a medical condition. I have seen this happen when an animal has infected anal glands. The infection causes more and more "stuff" to be produced. Then this leads to leakage.

There are other medical conditions such as perianal fistulas that can cause material to leak out of this area. But they are usually quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog.

If this is continuing, it does sound like you'll need to see a vet to figure it what is going on and what can be done for it. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics, or do something called an anal gland infusion.

I hope things are better soon!

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (15180 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (16366 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (27872 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (10566 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (9443 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (22379 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (22806 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9499 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (5920 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (13228 views)