Bad breath in dog.

Breed: small poodle
My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I have to groom snowflake myself which i don't mind too much, but his breath is really bad and he has lost teeth, but i can't afford to take him to a vet. is there anything i can do at home to make his breath bearable. he is such a loyal and still lovable (puppy) which we (my kids) call him but his breath turns everyone off.Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.
Thank you
Janet Sloboda

These are heartbreaking situations. A small poodle who is 12 years old is definitely going to have serious dental disease and this is likely the cause of the smell. The smell is caused by a mixture of infection and tartar in the mouth.

The only cure for this is to have your vet do a full dentistry on Snowflake. This would require a full anesthetic. Your vet would do tests first to make sure that the anesthetic would be safe at his age. (I do do plenty of senior dog anesthetics.)

The problem is that this procedure is very time consuming and therefore, very costly. You may want to consider reading this post on Help with veterinary bills to see if you can get some way to afford having a dental procedure done.

Sometimes, when I have clients who have pets who need dental care, but they can't afford it, I will do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where we give antibiotics for about 5 of the first days of the month, every month. The antibiotics help to cut down on the infection. They will help but won't cure the problem.

There is no at home treatment like brushing or special foods or treats that is going to help.

I wish I had better news for you!

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9745 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4467 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (31683 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7192 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (28961 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8119 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25203 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4503 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6541 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6717 views)