Bad breath in dog.

Breed: small poodle
My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I have to groom snowflake myself which i don't mind too much, but his breath is really bad and he has lost teeth, but i can't afford to take him to a vet. is there anything i can do at home to make his breath bearable. he is such a loyal and still lovable (puppy) which we (my kids) call him but his breath turns everyone off.Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.
Thank you
Janet Sloboda

These are heartbreaking situations. A small poodle who is 12 years old is definitely going to have serious dental disease and this is likely the cause of the smell. The smell is caused by a mixture of infection and tartar in the mouth.

The only cure for this is to have your vet do a full dentistry on Snowflake. This would require a full anesthetic. Your vet would do tests first to make sure that the anesthetic would be safe at his age. (I do do plenty of senior dog anesthetics.)

The problem is that this procedure is very time consuming and therefore, very costly. You may want to consider reading this post on Help with veterinary bills to see if you can get some way to afford having a dental procedure done.

Sometimes, when I have clients who have pets who need dental care, but they can't afford it, I will do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where we give antibiotics for about 5 of the first days of the month, every month. The antibiotics help to cut down on the infection. They will help but won't cure the problem.

There is no at home treatment like brushing or special foods or treats that is going to help.

I wish I had better news for you!

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (7376 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (25066 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (15867 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (12353 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (22365 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (19386 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (12621 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (10259 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (17635 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (10801 views)