Bad breath in dog.

Breed: small poodle
My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I have to groom snowflake myself which i don't mind too much, but his breath is really bad and he has lost teeth, but i can't afford to take him to a vet. is there anything i can do at home to make his breath bearable. he is such a loyal and still lovable (puppy) which we (my kids) call him but his breath turns everyone off.Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.
Thank you
Janet Sloboda

These are heartbreaking situations. A small poodle who is 12 years old is definitely going to have serious dental disease and this is likely the cause of the smell. The smell is caused by a mixture of infection and tartar in the mouth.

The only cure for this is to have your vet do a full dentistry on Snowflake. This would require a full anesthetic. Your vet would do tests first to make sure that the anesthetic would be safe at his age. (I do do plenty of senior dog anesthetics.)

The problem is that this procedure is very time consuming and therefore, very costly. You may want to consider reading this post on Help with veterinary bills to see if you can get some way to afford having a dental procedure done.

Sometimes, when I have clients who have pets who need dental care, but they can't afford it, I will do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where we give antibiotics for about 5 of the first days of the month, every month. The antibiotics help to cut down on the infection. They will help but won't cure the problem.

There is no at home treatment like brushing or special foods or treats that is going to help.

I wish I had better news for you!

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (10727 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13650 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11615 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16522 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (19841 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (24655 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10319 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6882 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6529 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42235 views)