Bad breath in dog.

Breed: small poodle
My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I have to groom snowflake myself which i don't mind too much, but his breath is really bad and he has lost teeth, but i can't afford to take him to a vet. is there anything i can do at home to make his breath bearable. he is such a loyal and still lovable (puppy) which we (my kids) call him but his breath turns everyone off.Any suggestions would very much be appreciated.
Thank you
Janet Sloboda

These are heartbreaking situations. A small poodle who is 12 years old is definitely going to have serious dental disease and this is likely the cause of the smell. The smell is caused by a mixture of infection and tartar in the mouth.

The only cure for this is to have your vet do a full dentistry on Snowflake. This would require a full anesthetic. Your vet would do tests first to make sure that the anesthetic would be safe at his age. (I do do plenty of senior dog anesthetics.)

The problem is that this procedure is very time consuming and therefore, very costly. You may want to consider reading this post on Help with veterinary bills to see if you can get some way to afford having a dental procedure done.

Sometimes, when I have clients who have pets who need dental care, but they can't afford it, I will do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where we give antibiotics for about 5 of the first days of the month, every month. The antibiotics help to cut down on the infection. They will help but won't cure the problem.

There is no at home treatment like brushing or special foods or treats that is going to help.

I wish I had better news for you!

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (12741 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (34912 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (57004 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (36066 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (8939 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (10388 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (20582 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (8648 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (12138 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (9044 views)