Two kittens limping.

Breed: short-haired tabby c
Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant paw. The mother is not experiencing this issue. There are no cuts or visible sweeling in their paws.

The bigger, male kitten's nails, (Neville) do look shorter and scragly looking. I trim them once a month and never go up to the quick. Just the tips. They have both never been outside, and I keep the litter box immaculate.

I was wondering if maybe they injured their paws chasing a lazer beam up a brick wall and then got a bacterial infection?
If so, can I treat it with some hydrogen peroxide or bactine?

I just think it's strange that they BOTH started limping on the same day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jessica

That is very strange that both kittens were affected on the same day.

Are the kittens having any respiratory issues such as sneezing at all? Sometimes a virus called calicivirus can cause kittens to limp but usually we will see some sneezing and often there are red ulcerated areas on the tongue.

It is unlikely that they would both get an infection on their feet from climbing up a wall.

I'm wondering if it is possible that they fought each other and perhaps bit each others legs? Again, this would be a huge coincidence.

If there *was* an infection, then peroxide or bactine would not be enough to treat it. An infection that is bad enough to cause limping would need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

At this point you probably are safe to just wait for a while and see how things go, but if you see any of the following then I think you should have the vet see them:
-if the limping is bad enough that they are not putting any weight on the paw.
-if they don't want to eat
-if your gut just tells you that something is wrong

There really is no at home treatment that I can recommend. Hopefully this will get better quickly on its own!

Thanks for he advice.
Unfortunately, they are not putting weight on the paw and the male, who is usually ravenous, hasnt eaten or groomed himself all day. I'll bring them to the vet as soon as I can. thank you.

Please keep me updated. I hope everything is ok!

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5101 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17463 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9402 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (28212 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (17165 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (19923 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11413 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (15060 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (14027 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (14536 views)