Two kittens limping.

Breed: short-haired tabby c
Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant paw. The mother is not experiencing this issue. There are no cuts or visible sweeling in their paws.

The bigger, male kitten's nails, (Neville) do look shorter and scragly looking. I trim them once a month and never go up to the quick. Just the tips. They have both never been outside, and I keep the litter box immaculate.

I was wondering if maybe they injured their paws chasing a lazer beam up a brick wall and then got a bacterial infection?
If so, can I treat it with some hydrogen peroxide or bactine?

I just think it's strange that they BOTH started limping on the same day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jessica

That is very strange that both kittens were affected on the same day.

Are the kittens having any respiratory issues such as sneezing at all? Sometimes a virus called calicivirus can cause kittens to limp but usually we will see some sneezing and often there are red ulcerated areas on the tongue.

It is unlikely that they would both get an infection on their feet from climbing up a wall.

I'm wondering if it is possible that they fought each other and perhaps bit each others legs? Again, this would be a huge coincidence.

If there *was* an infection, then peroxide or bactine would not be enough to treat it. An infection that is bad enough to cause limping would need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

At this point you probably are safe to just wait for a while and see how things go, but if you see any of the following then I think you should have the vet see them:
-if the limping is bad enough that they are not putting any weight on the paw.
-if they don't want to eat
-if your gut just tells you that something is wrong

There really is no at home treatment that I can recommend. Hopefully this will get better quickly on its own!

Thanks for he advice.
Unfortunately, they are not putting weight on the paw and the male, who is usually ravenous, hasnt eaten or groomed himself all day. I'll bring them to the vet as soon as I can. thank you.

Please keep me updated. I hope everything is ok!

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (13982 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (19189 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (20287 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8990 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (9965 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (11263 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (18304 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (34711 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (43730 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (8684 views)