Two kittens limping.

Breed: short-haired tabby c
Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant paw. The mother is not experiencing this issue. There are no cuts or visible sweeling in their paws.

The bigger, male kitten's nails, (Neville) do look shorter and scragly looking. I trim them once a month and never go up to the quick. Just the tips. They have both never been outside, and I keep the litter box immaculate.

I was wondering if maybe they injured their paws chasing a lazer beam up a brick wall and then got a bacterial infection?
If so, can I treat it with some hydrogen peroxide or bactine?

I just think it's strange that they BOTH started limping on the same day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jessica

That is very strange that both kittens were affected on the same day.

Are the kittens having any respiratory issues such as sneezing at all? Sometimes a virus called calicivirus can cause kittens to limp but usually we will see some sneezing and often there are red ulcerated areas on the tongue.

It is unlikely that they would both get an infection on their feet from climbing up a wall.

I'm wondering if it is possible that they fought each other and perhaps bit each others legs? Again, this would be a huge coincidence.

If there *was* an infection, then peroxide or bactine would not be enough to treat it. An infection that is bad enough to cause limping would need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

At this point you probably are safe to just wait for a while and see how things go, but if you see any of the following then I think you should have the vet see them:
-if the limping is bad enough that they are not putting any weight on the paw.
-if they don't want to eat
-if your gut just tells you that something is wrong

There really is no at home treatment that I can recommend. Hopefully this will get better quickly on its own!

Thanks for he advice.
Unfortunately, they are not putting weight on the paw and the male, who is usually ravenous, hasnt eaten or groomed himself all day. I'll bring them to the vet as soon as I can. thank you.

Please keep me updated. I hope everything is ok!

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (13180 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (15592 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (7943 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (74992 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (30314 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7145 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (3767 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (10357 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (46246 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (9434 views)