Two kittens limping.

Breed: short-haired tabby c
Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant paw. The mother is not experiencing this issue. There are no cuts or visible sweeling in their paws.

The bigger, male kitten's nails, (Neville) do look shorter and scragly looking. I trim them once a month and never go up to the quick. Just the tips. They have both never been outside, and I keep the litter box immaculate.

I was wondering if maybe they injured their paws chasing a lazer beam up a brick wall and then got a bacterial infection?
If so, can I treat it with some hydrogen peroxide or bactine?

I just think it's strange that they BOTH started limping on the same day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jessica

That is very strange that both kittens were affected on the same day.

Are the kittens having any respiratory issues such as sneezing at all? Sometimes a virus called calicivirus can cause kittens to limp but usually we will see some sneezing and often there are red ulcerated areas on the tongue.

It is unlikely that they would both get an infection on their feet from climbing up a wall.

I'm wondering if it is possible that they fought each other and perhaps bit each others legs? Again, this would be a huge coincidence.

If there *was* an infection, then peroxide or bactine would not be enough to treat it. An infection that is bad enough to cause limping would need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

At this point you probably are safe to just wait for a while and see how things go, but if you see any of the following then I think you should have the vet see them:
-if the limping is bad enough that they are not putting any weight on the paw.
-if they don't want to eat
-if your gut just tells you that something is wrong

There really is no at home treatment that I can recommend. Hopefully this will get better quickly on its own!

Thanks for he advice.
Unfortunately, they are not putting weight on the paw and the male, who is usually ravenous, hasnt eaten or groomed himself all day. I'll bring them to the vet as soon as I can. thank you.

Please keep me updated. I hope everything is ok!

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (13573 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (5166 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (12562 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (5104 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (26325 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (9665 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (24605 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (4420 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (8182 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (6601 views)