Two kittens limping.

Breed: short-haired tabby c
Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant paw. The mother is not experiencing this issue. There are no cuts or visible sweeling in their paws.

The bigger, male kitten's nails, (Neville) do look shorter and scragly looking. I trim them once a month and never go up to the quick. Just the tips. They have both never been outside, and I keep the litter box immaculate.

I was wondering if maybe they injured their paws chasing a lazer beam up a brick wall and then got a bacterial infection?
If so, can I treat it with some hydrogen peroxide or bactine?

I just think it's strange that they BOTH started limping on the same day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jessica

That is very strange that both kittens were affected on the same day.

Are the kittens having any respiratory issues such as sneezing at all? Sometimes a virus called calicivirus can cause kittens to limp but usually we will see some sneezing and often there are red ulcerated areas on the tongue.

It is unlikely that they would both get an infection on their feet from climbing up a wall.

I'm wondering if it is possible that they fought each other and perhaps bit each others legs? Again, this would be a huge coincidence.

If there *was* an infection, then peroxide or bactine would not be enough to treat it. An infection that is bad enough to cause limping would need oral antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

At this point you probably are safe to just wait for a while and see how things go, but if you see any of the following then I think you should have the vet see them:
-if the limping is bad enough that they are not putting any weight on the paw.
-if they don't want to eat
-if your gut just tells you that something is wrong

There really is no at home treatment that I can recommend. Hopefully this will get better quickly on its own!

Thanks for he advice.
Unfortunately, they are not putting weight on the paw and the male, who is usually ravenous, hasnt eaten or groomed himself all day. I'll bring them to the vet as soon as I can. thank you.

Please keep me updated. I hope everything is ok!

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (14106 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (8147 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (3794 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (8888 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (25382 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (57359 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (42498 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (12117 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (7097 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (4001 views)