Needs anals done often.

Breed: lab mix
Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly chicken, brown rice, peas. I am trying to add more fiber, she is very fussy. Once a month, for the last 6 months, she has had her anal gland expired from the vet. Today, the process was extremely painful, she screemed terrible. So bad, that I am afraid to go back. The nurse did the procedure.
She said the liquid was thick. Why would it hurt her so
bad? I can't put her through that again. What would you
suggest I do now?Thank you

Hi Lillian and thanks for your question!

Anal problems can be frustrating! Usually if there is pain and the material is really thick it means that we have waited a little too long to have the anals expressed. I have many patients who come in every 1-3 months to have the procedure done.

You could certainly ask if you could have your vet do the procedure next time instead of the technician. Sometimes a little more experience can make it better.

Adding some pumpkin (about 2 tbsp) to her food daily may help as well although no one knows for sure if it really helps.

If this is a really difficult problem you can talk to your vet about removing the anal glands. There really is no purpose for these glands and dogs do well without them. However, the surgery can be expensive (>$1000) and can have some slight risks such as incontinence.

By far the best thing you can do is to have the anals done on a regular basis.

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8162 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5508 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (20844 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7046 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11441 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (30559 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12192 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7804 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6392 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (13698 views)