Needs anals done often.

Breed: lab mix
Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly chicken, brown rice, peas. I am trying to add more fiber, she is very fussy. Once a month, for the last 6 months, she has had her anal gland expired from the vet. Today, the process was extremely painful, she screemed terrible. So bad, that I am afraid to go back. The nurse did the procedure.
She said the liquid was thick. Why would it hurt her so
bad? I can't put her through that again. What would you
suggest I do now?Thank you

Hi Lillian and thanks for your question!

Anal problems can be frustrating! Usually if there is pain and the material is really thick it means that we have waited a little too long to have the anals expressed. I have many patients who come in every 1-3 months to have the procedure done.

You could certainly ask if you could have your vet do the procedure next time instead of the technician. Sometimes a little more experience can make it better.

Adding some pumpkin (about 2 tbsp) to her food daily may help as well although no one knows for sure if it really helps.

If this is a really difficult problem you can talk to your vet about removing the anal glands. There really is no purpose for these glands and dogs do well without them. However, the surgery can be expensive (>$1000) and can have some slight risks such as incontinence.

By far the best thing you can do is to have the anals done on a regular basis.

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10165 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (10969 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17707 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7370 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (10206 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (28051 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12543 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (24626 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6980 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (8018 views)