Needs anals done often.

Breed: lab mix
Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly chicken, brown rice, peas. I am trying to add more fiber, she is very fussy. Once a month, for the last 6 months, she has had her anal gland expired from the vet. Today, the process was extremely painful, she screemed terrible. So bad, that I am afraid to go back. The nurse did the procedure.
She said the liquid was thick. Why would it hurt her so
bad? I can't put her through that again. What would you
suggest I do now?Thank you

Hi Lillian and thanks for your question!

Anal problems can be frustrating! Usually if there is pain and the material is really thick it means that we have waited a little too long to have the anals expressed. I have many patients who come in every 1-3 months to have the procedure done.

You could certainly ask if you could have your vet do the procedure next time instead of the technician. Sometimes a little more experience can make it better.

Adding some pumpkin (about 2 tbsp) to her food daily may help as well although no one knows for sure if it really helps.

If this is a really difficult problem you can talk to your vet about removing the anal glands. There really is no purpose for these glands and dogs do well without them. However, the surgery can be expensive (>$1000) and can have some slight risks such as incontinence.

By far the best thing you can do is to have the anals done on a regular basis.

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (17318 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (12618 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (44908 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (12421 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (8249 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10310 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (20572 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5097 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (21776 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (59811 views)