Needs anals done often.

Breed: lab mix
Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly chicken, brown rice, peas. I am trying to add more fiber, she is very fussy. Once a month, for the last 6 months, she has had her anal gland expired from the vet. Today, the process was extremely painful, she screemed terrible. So bad, that I am afraid to go back. The nurse did the procedure.
She said the liquid was thick. Why would it hurt her so
bad? I can't put her through that again. What would you
suggest I do now?Thank you

Hi Lillian and thanks for your question!

Anal problems can be frustrating! Usually if there is pain and the material is really thick it means that we have waited a little too long to have the anals expressed. I have many patients who come in every 1-3 months to have the procedure done.

You could certainly ask if you could have your vet do the procedure next time instead of the technician. Sometimes a little more experience can make it better.

Adding some pumpkin (about 2 tbsp) to her food daily may help as well although no one knows for sure if it really helps.

If this is a really difficult problem you can talk to your vet about removing the anal glands. There really is no purpose for these glands and dogs do well without them. However, the surgery can be expensive (>$1000) and can have some slight risks such as incontinence.

By far the best thing you can do is to have the anals done on a regular basis.

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (8611 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15165 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (135364 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (50668 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (46404 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (21424 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (4920 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11874 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (7038 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (67571 views)