Needs anals done often.

Breed: lab mix
Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly chicken, brown rice, peas. I am trying to add more fiber, she is very fussy. Once a month, for the last 6 months, she has had her anal gland expired from the vet. Today, the process was extremely painful, she screemed terrible. So bad, that I am afraid to go back. The nurse did the procedure.
She said the liquid was thick. Why would it hurt her so
bad? I can't put her through that again. What would you
suggest I do now?Thank you

Hi Lillian and thanks for your question!

Anal problems can be frustrating! Usually if there is pain and the material is really thick it means that we have waited a little too long to have the anals expressed. I have many patients who come in every 1-3 months to have the procedure done.

You could certainly ask if you could have your vet do the procedure next time instead of the technician. Sometimes a little more experience can make it better.

Adding some pumpkin (about 2 tbsp) to her food daily may help as well although no one knows for sure if it really helps.

If this is a really difficult problem you can talk to your vet about removing the anal glands. There really is no purpose for these glands and dogs do well without them. However, the surgery can be expensive (>$1000) and can have some slight risks such as incontinence.

By far the best thing you can do is to have the anals done on a regular basis.

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (8173 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (27821 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (9885 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4464 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (18819 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (12321 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (9144 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18439 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (20379 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (4705 views)