Sneezing dog.

Breed: Chihuahua
My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple of days. This has happened before but has gone away very quickly. She sneezes and a clear mucus liquid comes out and she's been doing this the past 5 days about 15 times a day. She also reverse sneezes a couple times a day for the last 5 days as well. She has also always had an itching problem and watery eyes. I've taken her to the vet and she had a clean bill of health. She's had all her vaccinations. I work with dogs and I see a lot of dogs that have allergies and take benadryl. I think that she also has allergies and I've tried changing her food but nothing has helped. I was wondering if giving her benadryl would help and if so how much do I give her? She is about 6lbs.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's a little bit strange to see a dog suddenly have sneezing fits like this. Although I can't say for sure without seeing Lilly, what you are describing sounds more typical of a mild virus rather than allergies.

Dogs with allergies will usually have itchy skin (usually feet, ears and bum) or diarrhea. We don't commonly see sneezing as a sign of allergies in dogs.

However, there is no harm in giving her benadryl to try. The dose for a 6 lb dog is 1/4 tablet of 25mg benadryl 3 times daily. Keep in mind though that if this was due to allergies (which I don't think it is) most dogs need stronger medication such as steroids in order to get better.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. If the sneezing is getting worse, or if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from one nostril then this could be what is happening. If this happens you'll need to see your vet.

Does she have bad teeth? At 1 year old she should not, but chihuahuas sometimes can have bad dental problems even when young. A problem with an upper tooth can cause sneezing as well.

Another possibility is nasal mites. If the sneezing continues your vet may choose to try treatment with Revolution (a heartworm medicine) if they suspect this.

My guess though is that it is a mild virus and she will be find within a day or two!

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14370 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (11982 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8782 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8117 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (13827 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (23851 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7304 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13136 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10573 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11689 views)