Sneezing dog.

Breed: Chihuahua
My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple of days. This has happened before but has gone away very quickly. She sneezes and a clear mucus liquid comes out and she's been doing this the past 5 days about 15 times a day. She also reverse sneezes a couple times a day for the last 5 days as well. She has also always had an itching problem and watery eyes. I've taken her to the vet and she had a clean bill of health. She's had all her vaccinations. I work with dogs and I see a lot of dogs that have allergies and take benadryl. I think that she also has allergies and I've tried changing her food but nothing has helped. I was wondering if giving her benadryl would help and if so how much do I give her? She is about 6lbs.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's a little bit strange to see a dog suddenly have sneezing fits like this. Although I can't say for sure without seeing Lilly, what you are describing sounds more typical of a mild virus rather than allergies.

Dogs with allergies will usually have itchy skin (usually feet, ears and bum) or diarrhea. We don't commonly see sneezing as a sign of allergies in dogs.

However, there is no harm in giving her benadryl to try. The dose for a 6 lb dog is 1/4 tablet of 25mg benadryl 3 times daily. Keep in mind though that if this was due to allergies (which I don't think it is) most dogs need stronger medication such as steroids in order to get better.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. If the sneezing is getting worse, or if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from one nostril then this could be what is happening. If this happens you'll need to see your vet.

Does she have bad teeth? At 1 year old she should not, but chihuahuas sometimes can have bad dental problems even when young. A problem with an upper tooth can cause sneezing as well.

Another possibility is nasal mites. If the sneezing continues your vet may choose to try treatment with Revolution (a heartworm medicine) if they suspect this.

My guess though is that it is a mild virus and she will be find within a day or two!

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9451 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (42961 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (11028 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (67523 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15858 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (21400 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (9842 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (20063 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (6614 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (21164 views)