Sneezing dog.

Breed: Chihuahua
My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple of days. This has happened before but has gone away very quickly. She sneezes and a clear mucus liquid comes out and she's been doing this the past 5 days about 15 times a day. She also reverse sneezes a couple times a day for the last 5 days as well. She has also always had an itching problem and watery eyes. I've taken her to the vet and she had a clean bill of health. She's had all her vaccinations. I work with dogs and I see a lot of dogs that have allergies and take benadryl. I think that she also has allergies and I've tried changing her food but nothing has helped. I was wondering if giving her benadryl would help and if so how much do I give her? She is about 6lbs.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's a little bit strange to see a dog suddenly have sneezing fits like this. Although I can't say for sure without seeing Lilly, what you are describing sounds more typical of a mild virus rather than allergies.

Dogs with allergies will usually have itchy skin (usually feet, ears and bum) or diarrhea. We don't commonly see sneezing as a sign of allergies in dogs.

However, there is no harm in giving her benadryl to try. The dose for a 6 lb dog is 1/4 tablet of 25mg benadryl 3 times daily. Keep in mind though that if this was due to allergies (which I don't think it is) most dogs need stronger medication such as steroids in order to get better.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. If the sneezing is getting worse, or if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from one nostril then this could be what is happening. If this happens you'll need to see your vet.

Does she have bad teeth? At 1 year old she should not, but chihuahuas sometimes can have bad dental problems even when young. A problem with an upper tooth can cause sneezing as well.

Another possibility is nasal mites. If the sneezing continues your vet may choose to try treatment with Revolution (a heartworm medicine) if they suspect this.

My guess though is that it is a mild virus and she will be find within a day or two!

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10290 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33628 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4418 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7164 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11227 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (211981 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (26675 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8117 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20867 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (7887 views)