Sneezing dog.

Breed: Chihuahua
My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple of days. This has happened before but has gone away very quickly. She sneezes and a clear mucus liquid comes out and she's been doing this the past 5 days about 15 times a day. She also reverse sneezes a couple times a day for the last 5 days as well. She has also always had an itching problem and watery eyes. I've taken her to the vet and she had a clean bill of health. She's had all her vaccinations. I work with dogs and I see a lot of dogs that have allergies and take benadryl. I think that she also has allergies and I've tried changing her food but nothing has helped. I was wondering if giving her benadryl would help and if so how much do I give her? She is about 6lbs.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's a little bit strange to see a dog suddenly have sneezing fits like this. Although I can't say for sure without seeing Lilly, what you are describing sounds more typical of a mild virus rather than allergies.

Dogs with allergies will usually have itchy skin (usually feet, ears and bum) or diarrhea. We don't commonly see sneezing as a sign of allergies in dogs.

However, there is no harm in giving her benadryl to try. The dose for a 6 lb dog is 1/4 tablet of 25mg benadryl 3 times daily. Keep in mind though that if this was due to allergies (which I don't think it is) most dogs need stronger medication such as steroids in order to get better.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. If the sneezing is getting worse, or if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from one nostril then this could be what is happening. If this happens you'll need to see your vet.

Does she have bad teeth? At 1 year old she should not, but chihuahuas sometimes can have bad dental problems even when young. A problem with an upper tooth can cause sneezing as well.

Another possibility is nasal mites. If the sneezing continues your vet may choose to try treatment with Revolution (a heartworm medicine) if they suspect this.

My guess though is that it is a mild virus and she will be find within a day or two!

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (57720 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6590 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12282 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (29477 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (13280 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9696 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8146 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (8754 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (9428 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8314 views)