Sneezing dog.

Breed: Chihuahua
My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple of days. This has happened before but has gone away very quickly. She sneezes and a clear mucus liquid comes out and she's been doing this the past 5 days about 15 times a day. She also reverse sneezes a couple times a day for the last 5 days as well. She has also always had an itching problem and watery eyes. I've taken her to the vet and she had a clean bill of health. She's had all her vaccinations. I work with dogs and I see a lot of dogs that have allergies and take benadryl. I think that she also has allergies and I've tried changing her food but nothing has helped. I was wondering if giving her benadryl would help and if so how much do I give her? She is about 6lbs.

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's a little bit strange to see a dog suddenly have sneezing fits like this. Although I can't say for sure without seeing Lilly, what you are describing sounds more typical of a mild virus rather than allergies.

Dogs with allergies will usually have itchy skin (usually feet, ears and bum) or diarrhea. We don't commonly see sneezing as a sign of allergies in dogs.

However, there is no harm in giving her benadryl to try. The dose for a 6 lb dog is 1/4 tablet of 25mg benadryl 3 times daily. Keep in mind though that if this was due to allergies (which I don't think it is) most dogs need stronger medication such as steroids in order to get better.

Another possibility is if she has something stuck up her nose. If the sneezing is getting worse, or if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from one nostril then this could be what is happening. If this happens you'll need to see your vet.

Does she have bad teeth? At 1 year old she should not, but chihuahuas sometimes can have bad dental problems even when young. A problem with an upper tooth can cause sneezing as well.

Another possibility is nasal mites. If the sneezing continues your vet may choose to try treatment with Revolution (a heartworm medicine) if they suspect this.

My guess though is that it is a mild virus and she will be find within a day or two!

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (11282 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9756 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (22820 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (17458 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5073 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (9725 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (8178 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (6031 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (53002 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (9445 views)