Pregnancy test for dogs?

Breed: Golden Lab
How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think he bred her.

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Unfortunately there is no early pregnancy detector test for dogs. The human tests measure the level of hcg which is human chorionic gonadotropin and no such molecule exists in dogs.

There is a blood test called relaxin that can be done for dogs but they have to be about 28 days pregnant, and it is not always 100% accurate.

Your vet may be able to palpate a pregnancy at 28 days. They can see a pregnancy on ultrasound after 28 days, or on xray after 45-50 days.

Here is some good information on pregnancy and birthing for you:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

Hope all goes well!

Thanks for using the website!

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (22986 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (21146 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9406 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7639 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (51083 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (6821 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6811 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8054 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15293 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7005 views)