Pregnancy test for dogs?

Breed: Golden Lab
How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think he bred her.

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Unfortunately there is no early pregnancy detector test for dogs. The human tests measure the level of hcg which is human chorionic gonadotropin and no such molecule exists in dogs.

There is a blood test called relaxin that can be done for dogs but they have to be about 28 days pregnant, and it is not always 100% accurate.

Your vet may be able to palpate a pregnancy at 28 days. They can see a pregnancy on ultrasound after 28 days, or on xray after 45-50 days.

Here is some good information on pregnancy and birthing for you:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

Hope all goes well!

Thanks for using the website!

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (39877 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10712 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6882 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9037 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13148 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (16778 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8726 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (6386 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (154512 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (25084 views)