Clear discharge from dog's nose.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how they do when they want to get the scent of something and they are clearing their nose. It is NOT a reverse sneeze (I have a lot of experience with that). She does have a small amount of clear nasal discharge. She hasn't really been sneezing any more than usual. She is eating and playing as normal. She does do a lot of sticking her muzzle down deep in the snow and sniffing a lot so I wonder if maybe she inhaled something. Of course, she isn't sneezing. She does have atopy which I control with occasional Bendaryl. I do realize this is probably nothing but I have anxiety over it so I thought I would ask for your opinion. She has her shots and was seen by a vet 8 days ago (before this started of course) and was healthy, Thanks for your time.
Lisa

Thanks for an interesting question!

From what you have described this doesn't sound like anything too serious.

It's possible that Gracie has picked up a mild virus such as kennel cough. Is she vaccinated for kennel cough? If so, it's possible that she just has very mild symptoms (nasal discharge) rather than a full blown infection.

Did she get a kennel cough vaccine up the nose when she had her vaccines 8 days ago? If so, some dogs will actually have mild kennel cough symptoms because of the vaccine. If this is the case it is usually very mild and should go away on its own.

While it's possible that there is some type of foreign object up Gracie's nose, usually that will cause severe sneezing and a thick snotty discharge.

It sounds like there is nothing serious going on. But, if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from the nose or if she is not eating and very quiet then a vet visit is a good idea.

Thanks for the quick response. No she did not have the vaccine up her nose 8 days ago. It does appear to be something viral as our Collie is now a bitty snuffly and sneezy as is my brother's pit bull ( a frequent playmate). None of them are actually coughing. It all appears to be nasal without even too much discharge. Whenever she has her shots she has never has the kennel cough vaccine up the nose, Not sure why I just assumed the vet knew what she needed. She is never boarded or at dog parks, etc. because we are in a very rural area. All the dogs are still eating and playing as normal. If it does develop into full kennel cough will they need a vet visit? or does it go away on it's own? I gave her some clemastine today and it seems she has less sniffling. Anyhow, thanks so much for your time and advice.
Lisa

Ah, this does sound like a virus. Most respiratory viruses in dogs go away on their own within a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks.) I don't usually recommend a visit unless there is green nasal discharge, lack of appetite or if the dog feels really uncomfortable.

You can find more information about respiratory viruses in an article I just wrote on kennel cough in dogs.

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (9048 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (41404 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (19263 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9567 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (8231 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (11513 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (16129 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (12056 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (8669 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (11710 views)