Clear discharge from dog's nose.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how they do when they want to get the scent of something and they are clearing their nose. It is NOT a reverse sneeze (I have a lot of experience with that). She does have a small amount of clear nasal discharge. She hasn't really been sneezing any more than usual. She is eating and playing as normal. She does do a lot of sticking her muzzle down deep in the snow and sniffing a lot so I wonder if maybe she inhaled something. Of course, she isn't sneezing. She does have atopy which I control with occasional Bendaryl. I do realize this is probably nothing but I have anxiety over it so I thought I would ask for your opinion. She has her shots and was seen by a vet 8 days ago (before this started of course) and was healthy, Thanks for your time.
Lisa

Thanks for an interesting question!

From what you have described this doesn't sound like anything too serious.

It's possible that Gracie has picked up a mild virus such as kennel cough. Is she vaccinated for kennel cough? If so, it's possible that she just has very mild symptoms (nasal discharge) rather than a full blown infection.

Did she get a kennel cough vaccine up the nose when she had her vaccines 8 days ago? If so, some dogs will actually have mild kennel cough symptoms because of the vaccine. If this is the case it is usually very mild and should go away on its own.

While it's possible that there is some type of foreign object up Gracie's nose, usually that will cause severe sneezing and a thick snotty discharge.

It sounds like there is nothing serious going on. But, if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from the nose or if she is not eating and very quiet then a vet visit is a good idea.

Thanks for the quick response. No she did not have the vaccine up her nose 8 days ago. It does appear to be something viral as our Collie is now a bitty snuffly and sneezy as is my brother's pit bull ( a frequent playmate). None of them are actually coughing. It all appears to be nasal without even too much discharge. Whenever she has her shots she has never has the kennel cough vaccine up the nose, Not sure why I just assumed the vet knew what she needed. She is never boarded or at dog parks, etc. because we are in a very rural area. All the dogs are still eating and playing as normal. If it does develop into full kennel cough will they need a vet visit? or does it go away on it's own? I gave her some clemastine today and it seems she has less sniffling. Anyhow, thanks so much for your time and advice.
Lisa

Ah, this does sound like a virus. Most respiratory viruses in dogs go away on their own within a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks.) I don't usually recommend a visit unless there is green nasal discharge, lack of appetite or if the dog feels really uncomfortable.

You can find more information about respiratory viruses in an article I just wrote on kennel cough in dogs.

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (5829 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (32801 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (12652 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (33364 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8079 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (12188 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (25706 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4696 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11023 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (10951 views)