Clear discharge from dog's nose.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how they do when they want to get the scent of something and they are clearing their nose. It is NOT a reverse sneeze (I have a lot of experience with that). She does have a small amount of clear nasal discharge. She hasn't really been sneezing any more than usual. She is eating and playing as normal. She does do a lot of sticking her muzzle down deep in the snow and sniffing a lot so I wonder if maybe she inhaled something. Of course, she isn't sneezing. She does have atopy which I control with occasional Bendaryl. I do realize this is probably nothing but I have anxiety over it so I thought I would ask for your opinion. She has her shots and was seen by a vet 8 days ago (before this started of course) and was healthy, Thanks for your time.
Lisa

Thanks for an interesting question!

From what you have described this doesn't sound like anything too serious.

It's possible that Gracie has picked up a mild virus such as kennel cough. Is she vaccinated for kennel cough? If so, it's possible that she just has very mild symptoms (nasal discharge) rather than a full blown infection.

Did she get a kennel cough vaccine up the nose when she had her vaccines 8 days ago? If so, some dogs will actually have mild kennel cough symptoms because of the vaccine. If this is the case it is usually very mild and should go away on its own.

While it's possible that there is some type of foreign object up Gracie's nose, usually that will cause severe sneezing and a thick snotty discharge.

It sounds like there is nothing serious going on. But, if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from the nose or if she is not eating and very quiet then a vet visit is a good idea.

Thanks for the quick response. No she did not have the vaccine up her nose 8 days ago. It does appear to be something viral as our Collie is now a bitty snuffly and sneezy as is my brother's pit bull ( a frequent playmate). None of them are actually coughing. It all appears to be nasal without even too much discharge. Whenever she has her shots she has never has the kennel cough vaccine up the nose, Not sure why I just assumed the vet knew what she needed. She is never boarded or at dog parks, etc. because we are in a very rural area. All the dogs are still eating and playing as normal. If it does develop into full kennel cough will they need a vet visit? or does it go away on it's own? I gave her some clemastine today and it seems she has less sniffling. Anyhow, thanks so much for your time and advice.
Lisa

Ah, this does sound like a virus. Most respiratory viruses in dogs go away on their own within a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks.) I don't usually recommend a visit unless there is green nasal discharge, lack of appetite or if the dog feels really uncomfortable.

You can find more information about respiratory viruses in an article I just wrote on kennel cough in dogs.

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9501 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (21226 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (17543 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (31038 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (15154 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9551 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11013 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10505 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (14766 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11046 views)