Clear discharge from dog's nose.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how they do when they want to get the scent of something and they are clearing their nose. It is NOT a reverse sneeze (I have a lot of experience with that). She does have a small amount of clear nasal discharge. She hasn't really been sneezing any more than usual. She is eating and playing as normal. She does do a lot of sticking her muzzle down deep in the snow and sniffing a lot so I wonder if maybe she inhaled something. Of course, she isn't sneezing. She does have atopy which I control with occasional Bendaryl. I do realize this is probably nothing but I have anxiety over it so I thought I would ask for your opinion. She has her shots and was seen by a vet 8 days ago (before this started of course) and was healthy, Thanks for your time.
Lisa

Thanks for an interesting question!

From what you have described this doesn't sound like anything too serious.

It's possible that Gracie has picked up a mild virus such as kennel cough. Is she vaccinated for kennel cough? If so, it's possible that she just has very mild symptoms (nasal discharge) rather than a full blown infection.

Did she get a kennel cough vaccine up the nose when she had her vaccines 8 days ago? If so, some dogs will actually have mild kennel cough symptoms because of the vaccine. If this is the case it is usually very mild and should go away on its own.

While it's possible that there is some type of foreign object up Gracie's nose, usually that will cause severe sneezing and a thick snotty discharge.

It sounds like there is nothing serious going on. But, if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from the nose or if she is not eating and very quiet then a vet visit is a good idea.

Thanks for the quick response. No she did not have the vaccine up her nose 8 days ago. It does appear to be something viral as our Collie is now a bitty snuffly and sneezy as is my brother's pit bull ( a frequent playmate). None of them are actually coughing. It all appears to be nasal without even too much discharge. Whenever she has her shots she has never has the kennel cough vaccine up the nose, Not sure why I just assumed the vet knew what she needed. She is never boarded or at dog parks, etc. because we are in a very rural area. All the dogs are still eating and playing as normal. If it does develop into full kennel cough will they need a vet visit? or does it go away on it's own? I gave her some clemastine today and it seems she has less sniffling. Anyhow, thanks so much for your time and advice.
Lisa

Ah, this does sound like a virus. Most respiratory viruses in dogs go away on their own within a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks.) I don't usually recommend a visit unless there is green nasal discharge, lack of appetite or if the dog feels really uncomfortable.

You can find more information about respiratory viruses in an article I just wrote on kennel cough in dogs.

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11341 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (6901 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (47727 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6489 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (7535 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11617 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (35853 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (7581 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (27180 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11065 views)