Clear discharge from dog's nose.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how they do when they want to get the scent of something and they are clearing their nose. It is NOT a reverse sneeze (I have a lot of experience with that). She does have a small amount of clear nasal discharge. She hasn't really been sneezing any more than usual. She is eating and playing as normal. She does do a lot of sticking her muzzle down deep in the snow and sniffing a lot so I wonder if maybe she inhaled something. Of course, she isn't sneezing. She does have atopy which I control with occasional Bendaryl. I do realize this is probably nothing but I have anxiety over it so I thought I would ask for your opinion. She has her shots and was seen by a vet 8 days ago (before this started of course) and was healthy, Thanks for your time.
Lisa

Thanks for an interesting question!

From what you have described this doesn't sound like anything too serious.

It's possible that Gracie has picked up a mild virus such as kennel cough. Is she vaccinated for kennel cough? If so, it's possible that she just has very mild symptoms (nasal discharge) rather than a full blown infection.

Did she get a kennel cough vaccine up the nose when she had her vaccines 8 days ago? If so, some dogs will actually have mild kennel cough symptoms because of the vaccine. If this is the case it is usually very mild and should go away on its own.

While it's possible that there is some type of foreign object up Gracie's nose, usually that will cause severe sneezing and a thick snotty discharge.

It sounds like there is nothing serious going on. But, if you are noticing a green or yellow discharge from the nose or if she is not eating and very quiet then a vet visit is a good idea.

Thanks for the quick response. No she did not have the vaccine up her nose 8 days ago. It does appear to be something viral as our Collie is now a bitty snuffly and sneezy as is my brother's pit bull ( a frequent playmate). None of them are actually coughing. It all appears to be nasal without even too much discharge. Whenever she has her shots she has never has the kennel cough vaccine up the nose, Not sure why I just assumed the vet knew what she needed. She is never boarded or at dog parks, etc. because we are in a very rural area. All the dogs are still eating and playing as normal. If it does develop into full kennel cough will they need a vet visit? or does it go away on it's own? I gave her some clemastine today and it seems she has less sniffling. Anyhow, thanks so much for your time and advice.
Lisa

Ah, this does sound like a virus. Most respiratory viruses in dogs go away on their own within a few days (sometimes a couple of weeks.) I don't usually recommend a visit unless there is green nasal discharge, lack of appetite or if the dog feels really uncomfortable.

You can find more information about respiratory viruses in an article I just wrote on kennel cough in dogs.

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (8124 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10733 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11714 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (27783 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (10588 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (34083 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61042 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6861 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16963 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (12288 views)