Bruising after blood collection.

Breed: Poodle/Terrier Mix
I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew blood from her front right leg to do a heart worm test and it seemed like they had trouble drawing the blood cause it took them a couple attempts, but now her leg seems bruised or to have internal bleeding cause its a dark reddish color?! Is this safe/ok or should I be concerned? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but it worries me...

Hi! I am so sorry about the delay. I am away at a veterinary conference and had problems with my computer charger.

What you are seeing is actually quite common on a dog especially if there was some difficulty with the blood draw. It should resolve within a few days. If your dog allows it you can place an ice pack on the bruised area a few times a day.

Hope all goes well!

Thank you Dr. Marie! It does appear to be getting slightly better! Unfortunately Roo will not let me place an ice pack on her leg, she doesn't like anyone touching her legs...she's very picky like that. Again thank you so much for your help...

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (5190 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (28122 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (19810 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4318 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (11214 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (9602 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (13631 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (11926 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (29173 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (6862 views)