Bruising after blood collection.

Breed: Poodle/Terrier Mix
I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew blood from her front right leg to do a heart worm test and it seemed like they had trouble drawing the blood cause it took them a couple attempts, but now her leg seems bruised or to have internal bleeding cause its a dark reddish color?! Is this safe/ok or should I be concerned? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but it worries me...

Hi! I am so sorry about the delay. I am away at a veterinary conference and had problems with my computer charger.

What you are seeing is actually quite common on a dog especially if there was some difficulty with the blood draw. It should resolve within a few days. If your dog allows it you can place an ice pack on the bruised area a few times a day.

Hope all goes well!

Thank you Dr. Marie! It does appear to be getting slightly better! Unfortunately Roo will not let me place an ice pack on her leg, she doesn't like anyone touching her legs...she's very picky like that. Again thank you so much for your help...

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (6508 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (9426 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (94734 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (21022 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (9943 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (13660 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (9805 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (26416 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8053 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (9582 views)