Bruising after blood collection.

Breed: Poodle/Terrier Mix
I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew blood from her front right leg to do a heart worm test and it seemed like they had trouble drawing the blood cause it took them a couple attempts, but now her leg seems bruised or to have internal bleeding cause its a dark reddish color?! Is this safe/ok or should I be concerned? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but it worries me...

Hi! I am so sorry about the delay. I am away at a veterinary conference and had problems with my computer charger.

What you are seeing is actually quite common on a dog especially if there was some difficulty with the blood draw. It should resolve within a few days. If your dog allows it you can place an ice pack on the bruised area a few times a day.

Hope all goes well!

Thank you Dr. Marie! It does appear to be getting slightly better! Unfortunately Roo will not let me place an ice pack on her leg, she doesn't like anyone touching her legs...she's very picky like that. Again thank you so much for your help...

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (30486 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (5782 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (20167 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (4471 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (4808 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (20328 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (15949 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (4731 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (13987 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (9943 views)