Bruising after blood collection.

Breed: Poodle/Terrier Mix
I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew blood from her front right leg to do a heart worm test and it seemed like they had trouble drawing the blood cause it took them a couple attempts, but now her leg seems bruised or to have internal bleeding cause its a dark reddish color?! Is this safe/ok or should I be concerned? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but it worries me...

Hi! I am so sorry about the delay. I am away at a veterinary conference and had problems with my computer charger.

What you are seeing is actually quite common on a dog especially if there was some difficulty with the blood draw. It should resolve within a few days. If your dog allows it you can place an ice pack on the bruised area a few times a day.

Hope all goes well!

Thank you Dr. Marie! It does appear to be getting slightly better! Unfortunately Roo will not let me place an ice pack on her leg, she doesn't like anyone touching her legs...she's very picky like that. Again thank you so much for your help...

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (27393 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (18519 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (20654 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7410 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (40707 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (20081 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (5718 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6370 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14779 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (10175 views)